[Rumor] Asus leaks AMD Bulldozer (Zambezi) specs?

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
Only a month left in the launch of AMD’s Bulldozer based Zambezi-FX CPU’s and we are already receiving tons of new details and leaks on the AM3+ based platform. Well, Today we’ve got another leak by the top motherboard manufacturer ”Asus” which has detailed the specifications of upcoming FX series processors through its “AM3+ Motherboards BIOS Evaluation” Chart. Asus’s upcoming 990FX based sabertooth motherboard was also pictured a while ago which you can see here.

The chart details 4 upcoming Zambezi-FX series processors which were already reported in the leaked pricing chart here. The chart details Core Clock, Core Count, Max TDP and Turbo Core boost frequency. The clock frequencies were erased. Fortunately, The source reports that it still managed to get the frequencies details on two FX-based CPU’s which include FX-8130P and FX 8110.

We already reported performance details of AMD FX-8110 here and FX-4110 here. From the looks of it, The FX-8130P will be the FX-series top offering featuring a core clock of 3.8Ghz and a Turbo Core speed of 4.2Ghz, Keep in mind that this is a 8-Core CPU and will be priced for 320$ against the FX 8110?s 290$ price which is also a 8 Core variant but features lesser core frequency of 3.6Ghz and 4.0Ghz (Turbo Core). A Turbo Core speed of 4.0Ghz + is quite amazing considering the Intel’s 310$ (i7 2600K) which comes with a core clock of 3.4Ghz with turbo boost of 3.8Ghz.

The FX-8130P has a max TDP of 125W and FX-8110 has 95W max TDP. Detailed info from the chart below:

AMD FX-8130P – 8 Core, 3.8Ghz, Max T.C 4.2Ghz, 125W (320$)
AMD FX-8110 – 8 Core, 3.6Ghz, Max T.C 4.0Ghz, 95W (290$)
AMD FX-6110 – 6 Core, Unknown, Max T.C Unknown, 95W (240$)
AMD FX-4110 – 4 Core, Unknown, Max T.C Unknown, 95W (190$)

Read more: http://wccftech.com/2011/05/22/asus-leaks-.../#ixzz1N7V7FVVZ

Source

The FX Turbocore is based on TDP. So when only one or two cores are being utilized the FX boards will automatically overclock those cores up to 125w, compared to only 95w on the lower end models. While this may not affect overclockers, for the general public this could be huge. IF the 8130P does say 4.5 turbo core on eight cores at 125w you could see stock Turbo cores of 5Ghz on one core. Put that into a single thread benchmark at stock clocks for a review and even if IPC is down on Sandy Bridge it will be hard for Sandy Bridge to beat it with a Turbo of only 3.8Ghz stock. Looks like it's pretty promising to me if the article is true.

There are images linked in the article if you wish to view the new board from Asus which looks pretty sexy.

purechaos996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
8 Core CPU's Yes Please
biggrin.gif
Anyone know when these are supposed to be released? I now have to decide to wait for these or buy myself the i7 2600k....

sergster1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSGamer64 said:
QUOTE said:
Only a month left in the launch of AMD’s Bulldozer based Zambezi-FX CPU’s and we are already receiving tons of new details and leaks on the AM3+ based platform. Well, Today we’ve got another leak by the top motherboard manufacturer ”Asus” which has detailed the specifications of upcoming FX series processors through its “AM3+ Motherboards BIOS Evaluation” Chart. Asus’s upcoming 990FX based sabertooth motherboard was also pictured a while ago which you can see here.

The chart details 4 upcoming Zambezi-FX series processors which were already reported in the leaked pricing chart here. The chart details Core Clock, Core Count, Max TDP and Turbo Core boost frequency. The clock frequencies were erased. Fortunately, The source reports that it still managed to get the frequencies details on two FX-based CPU’s which include FX-8130P and FX 8110.

We already reported performance details of AMD FX-8110 here and FX-4110 here. From the looks of it, The FX-8130P will be the FX-series top offering featuring a core clock of 3.8Ghz and a Turbo Core speed of 4.2Ghz, Keep in mind that this is a 8-Core CPU and will be priced for 320$ against the FX 8110?s 290$ price which is also a 8 Core variant but features lesser core frequency of 3.6Ghz and 4.0Ghz (Turbo Core). A Turbo Core speed of 4.0Ghz + is quite amazing considering the Intel’s 310$ (i7 2600K) which comes with a core clock of 3.4Ghz with turbo boost of 3.8Ghz.

The FX-8130P has a max TDP of 125W and FX-8110 has 95W max TDP. Detailed info from the chart below:

AMD FX-8130P – 8 Core, 3.8Ghz, Max T.C 4.2Ghz, 125W (320$)
AMD FX-8110 – 8 Core, 3.6Ghz, Max T.C 4.0Ghz, 95W (290$)
AMD FX-6110 – 6 Core, Unknown, Max T.C Unknown, 95W (240$)
AMD FX-4110 – 4 Core, Unknown, Max T.C Unknown, 95W (190$)

Read more: http://wccftech.com/2011/05/22/asus-leaks-.../#ixzz1N7V7FVVZ

Source

The FX Turbocore is based on TDP. So when only one or two cores are being utilized the FX boards will automatically overclock those cores up to 125w, compared to only 95w on the lower end models. While this may not affect overclockers, for the general public this could be huge. IF the 8130P does say 4.5 turbo core on eight cores at 125w you could see stock Turbo cores of 5Ghz on one core. Put that into a single thread benchmark at stock clocks for a review and even if IPC is down on Sandy Bridge it will be hard for Sandy Bridge to beat it with a Turbo of only 3.8Ghz stock. Looks like it's pretty promising to me if the article is true.

There are images linked in the article if you wish to view the new board from Asus which looks pretty sexy.

F-F-F-F-F-FOUR POINT TWO GIGAHERTZ PROCESSOR PER CORE.... I musta been raptured yesterday as im in heaven

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
purechaos996 said:
8 Core CPU's Yes Please
biggrin.gif
Anyone know when these are supposed to be released? I now have to decide to wait for these or buy myself the i7 2600k....

Release is in a month's time from now, so expect them to be a little more readily available a few weeks after they launch. I'd say give it a month after release before deciding and seeing what the benchmarks are like.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm more interested in the actual benchmarks in a real world scenario than hearing about the clock speeds. They tell us very little in terms of performance. An i7 CPU can beat a Phenom II x4 CPU clock-for-clock at the same frequency. It'll be interesting to see how Bulldozer fares against i7.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
granville said:
I'm more interested in the actual benchmarks in a real world scenario than hearing about the clock speeds. They tell us very little in terms of performance. An i7 CPU can beat a Phenom II x4 CPU clock-for-clock at the same frequency. It'll be interesting to see how Bulldozer fares against i7.

The X4 runs on different architecture, though the X6 is superior to the i5 and i3 by a reasonable margin, while the i7 is currently the dominating processor. One of the main differences I have noticed is that AMD processors run with more L2 cache while the Intel counterparts have more L3 cache and I think this is one area where AMD needs to improve. Sure, you can have 512kb of L2 cache per core, but L3 is more important in modern computing to be honest. Most of what I have read about the new Bulldozer processors is that they will be up to snuff with Intel for performance in every aspect of computing, and the Bobcat processors will be along shortly as well which have the IGP in them like the i3 does. Also, an i7 2600k has more cache then any AMD processor on the market.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Chhotu uttam said:
I guess this processors are great competitors for Intel.
maybe intel will also come up and make some 8 core processors.
cool.gif

Last time Intel tried to compete with AMD on the 'more then 4 cores market', marketing something with a price tag of 600 or 1100 dollars was pretty difficult. Aside from server processors, I can't see Intel trying to get beyond quad cores for home computing just yet.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not sure if I will get the 8 core or not, depends on whether or not it benchmarks higher then the i7 2600k which is only 20 dollars less. Even if it's equal in performance, there is so much more that could be done with 8 cores assuming it threads more like an Intel does then the current models.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
granville said:
That's true, a Core 2 Duo in single core mode could beat the pants off of a Celeron processor, both at 3ghz.

Also did anyone get why it's called "Bulldozer"? It's because Intel's been developing "Sandy Bridge"

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
RupeeClock said:
granville said:
That's true, a Core 2 Duo in single core mode could beat the pants off of a Celeron processor, both at 3ghz.

Also did anyone get why it's called "Bulldozer"? It's because Intel's been developing "Sandy Bridge"
I lol'd
rofl.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Processors!

1 - Multiple cores.

A dual-core processor is NOT two processors in one. A dual-core 2ghz processor is NOT the same as a single-core 4ghz processor! Lots of people think that dual-core means EVERYTHING goes twice as fast. Not true. Only things that actually USE more than one core will benefit, while things made for only one core don't benefit from more cores.

Each core allows you to do a task. Having multiple cores allows you to do multiple tasks at once.

Let's say that the task is baking a cake. You have to mix the batter, then bake the cake, then decorate it. These three steps cannot be done out of order, you cannot do two or more at the same time. You have to do the first step, then do the second, then the third... so more cores (more people cooking) wouldn't speed it up.

However, if the task was making spaghetti, then multiple cores could speed it up. You could have one person cooking the sauce, another cooking the meat, and a third cooking the noodles, all at the same time. Three cores are being used, the entire process is almost three times as fast as cooking them all in order one at a time.

In order for a program to get a speed boost from multiple cores, two things must be true. It must be doing a task that can benefit, and it must have been coded to use multiple cores. A program does this by spawning multiple threads, and having complex control code to synchronize the actions of the threads to make sure they are running and communicating with each other properly. This is a complex thing to be built into a program's design... so a lot of the time a program won't be able to use multiple cores because the programmers are not willing to spend a large amount of time rewriting the core of their program. This is especially true if what the program is doing will not get a boost from multiple cores in the first place. With the way some programs run, multiple-core support on a single-core processor will actually make things slower, so in some programs you need to go into the options and enable multi-core support (threading). However, most current games do not benefit from more than 2 cores, and none benefit from more than 3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-core_(computing)
QUOTE said:
The amount of performance gained by the use of a multicore processor depends on the problem being solved and the algorithms used, as well as their implementation in software: see Amdahl's law. For so-called "embarrassingly parallel" problems, a dual-core processor with two cores at 2GHz may perform very nearly as fast as a single core of 4GHz [1]. Other problems though may not yield so much speedup. This all assumes however that the software has been designed to take advantage of available parallelism. If it hasn't, there will not be any speedup at all. However, the processor will multitask better since it can run two programs at once, one on each core.
QUOTEIn addition to operating system (OS) support, adjustments to existing software are required to maximize utilization of the computing resources provided by multi-core processors. Also, the ability of multi-core processors to increase application performance depends on the use of multiple threads within applications.
That's right, you actually have to go into the options of most programs and TELL them to use more than one core (sometimes called "threads" in the settings) to make them use more than one core.

So just because a processor has more cores does not mean it is always faster.

But things are still faster on a dual-core processor than a single-core...
Why is that? Because multi-core processors a newer and have a better architecture than older ones.

2 - More GHZ is better, right?

Older Processors.
The "Intel Pentium 4" 2.26ghz processor scores 288.

Newer Processors.
The "Intel Core 2 Duo P7350" 2.00ghz processor scores 1,318.

So it's 100% possible for a processor with LESS ghz to be better. More ghz does not mean the processor is better in every case. Only when comparing two of the SAME processor.

Ghz is like RPM in cars. It describes how fast it's cycling. How much it does per cycle, however, varies between processor models, like it depends on what gear you're in in a car.

Let's say you have two cars, both in second gear, doing 4000 RPM. One of the cars accelerates up to 6000 RPM, in the same gear. It is now going faster than it was previously.
If the second car kept accelerating to the point that it changed gears and dropped down to 3000 RPM, it would appear to be going slower (if you only compare RPM values), but it's going faster than the first car.

The reason people think that a higher ghz rating means a processor is faster is because of this. If you raise the ghz, the processor will be going aster than it was previously. However, when comparing two different processors, you cannot compare them by just ghz.

That's how processors are. If a processor can do more per cycle, then it can cycle less, while still doing the same amount or, or more work. The advantage of a processor cycling less is that less heat is generated, and less power is used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megahertz_Myth

Modern processors which have multiple cores are newer than older ones which have a single core. The newer ones are more efficient, generally doubly or more. People have looked at newer processors, thinking that GHZ is everything, and wondered why a 2ghz processor beats a 3ghz one, see that the 2ghz one is dual-core, and assume that was the reason, when in reality it's because the dual-core was newer and more efficient.

So yeah, I'm going to wait on actual benchmarks as well.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Sandy Bridge sucks, this is not at all surprising. However, Intel has something else up it's sleeves.

AMD will win overall this generation of CPUs, when all of the Fusion range is released (Bulldozer, Bobcat etc...) but I'm not so sure that they'll score so well in terms of sales. I mean, it's likely that they're gonna be pricing these cores at similar prices to i7s/high-end i5s. And lets face it, with the complete failure of their past few micro-architectures, who's really gonna buy AMD's offering?

@Granville this architecture is better than Sandy Bridge by a longshot, whereas AMD's K10 microarch was horrible (what Phenom II's have). Also K10 is out of date, so that really isn't a fair comparison you've got going on there. Benchmarks will only prove this further, but then again benches will be available before they're available for purchase.
@Rydian nice useless copypasta there

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY