• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Romney vs. Obama

who will/would you vote for?

• Barack Obama

Votes: 158 76.0%
  • Mitt Romney

Votes: 50 24.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CCNaru

Warn-free Since 2005
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I will be voting for Romney but I don't think he has any chance. my votes won't matter anyways

Incumbents will usually win unless they really, REALLY fuck up, and in Obama's case it's mostly been no progress, maybe a little improvement - it didn't turn worse. Nor did he fuck up his image during his term. I also don't think Romney has that final punch that can turn the public around.

And the Clinton's speech was really good... although I could only see Lewinsky during his speech.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Incumbents will usually win unless they really, REALLY fuck up, and in Obama's case it's mostly been no progress, maybe a little improvement - it didn't turn worse.

The hell it didn't. Durable goods dropped 13% just last month.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LMFAO at the Romney lovers and yes, that 47% speech Romney game was a hard nail to his campaign. Even with that I'm not brimming with overconfidence. Anything can happen within these next 39 days.

Reactions: 1 person

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LMFAO at the Romney lovers and yes, that 47% speech Romney game was a hard nail to his campaign. Even with hat I'm not brimming with overconfidence. Anything can happen within these next 39 days.

I agree. The debates can make or break it for either candidate.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the facts seem to show that things have gotten better. It should also be noted that the Stimulus also had a positive effect on durable goods. There is no way Obama could have gotten us completely out of the hole we were in with just one term, but things have definitely improved under Obama. In comparison, Romney's plan doesn't appear to do very much.
If you what you mean by things improving under Obama is US incomes dropping by 3000 dollars during the recovery, gas prices going up about 100% in the past four years, rising food prices , US economic competitiveness dropping to 7th in the world, two credit downgrades, a stagent economy, above 8% unemployment for the past four years, and a 16 trillion dollar deficit then yes we've had lots of progress under Obama

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Today Obama said he needed another term to fix the economy I heard that and I couldn't stop laughing
So we can give Bush 8 years to dig us into this hole, but we can't give Obama another 4 to try and fix it?

Reactions: 1 person

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you what you mean by things improving under Obama is US incomes dropping by 3000 dollars during the recovery, gas prices going up about 100% in the past four years, rising food prices , US economic competitiveness dropping to 7th in the world, two credit downgrades, a stagent economy, above 8% unemployment for the past four years, and a 16 trillion dollar deficit then yes we've had lots of progress under Obama
Let's take those one by one, shall we?

US incomes dropping by 3000 dollars during the recovery
That's misleading. US incomes have actually improved since when the Recession was at its worst, so don't say it has actually gone down "during the recovery."

gas prices going up about 100% in the past four years
Gas prices have been steadily going up since long before Obama was President (the sharp decline before Obama took office was caused by deflation caused by the Recession). In fact, gas prices are marginally lower now than when they were at their peak high when George W. Bush was President. The President actually has very little to do with gas prices.

rising food prices
If you're referring to the immediate rising food prices, you can blame the recent summer drought for that. If you're referring to the overall trend, I refer you back to gas prices.

US economic competitiveness dropping to 7th in the world
The cited reasons for the drop to seventh are the same as those for the credit downgrade explained below:

two credit downgrades
You do realize that occurred because of uncertainty caused by the Republicans having seriously considered not raising the debt ceiling and refusing to raise taxes under any circumstances, yes?

a stagent economy, above 8% unemployment for the past four years
And yet, the economy is improving thanks to the Stimulus.

and a 16 trillion dollar deficit
You act like George W. Bush and the Republicans didn't cause the deficit and debt problem we're in now:

“If not for the Bush tax cuts, the deficit-financed wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the effects of the worst recession since the Great Depression (including the cost of policymakers’ actions to combat it), we would not be facing these huge deficits in the near term. By themselves, in fact, the Bush tax cuts and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan will account for almost half of the $20 trillion in debt that, under current policies, the nation will owe by 2019. The stimulus law and financial rescues will account for less than 10 percent of the debt at that time.”

http://www.cbpp.org/...fa=view&id=3490

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the facts seem to show that things have gotten better. It should also be noted that the Stimulus also had a positive effect on durable goods. There is no way Obama could have gotten us completely out of the hole we were in with just one term, but things have definitely improved under Obama. In comparison, Romney's plan doesn't appear to do very much.

Every source you site is a liberal-biased one, with the exception of ycharts. And it doesn't paint a pretty picture if the trend continues:

US Durable Goods Orders is at a current level of 198.49B, down from 228.62B last month. This represents a monthly annualized growth rate of -158.1%, compared to a long term average annualized growth rate of 3.56%.

The "good times", if you want to call it that, which preceded the last month may be attributable to the stimulus. But if it's petering out, we're in for some dire shit to come. Anyone can borrow on the credit card to get by a little longer, but only up to a point.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Why do people think that there is a difference between the left and right of this country?
Because there is a clear cut difference between them on how they want run this country.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Why do people think that there is a difference between the left and right of this country?
Because there is a clear cut difference between them on how they want run this country.
How are they different again ?
Well considering the fact that Republican believe in lowering taxes, tax breaks for the rich, as well small government. Where as Democrats tends to believe in higher taxes for the rich, lower taxes for the poor, and larger government.
Those are just some examples of how they are different.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every source you site is a liberal-biased one, with the exception of ycharts.
Another liberal (and Soros funded) source.
Any liberal bias you perceive doesn't change the numbers, haha. Also, if you check the sources of the numbers in most (if not all) of my sources, you'll see that they're from nonpartisan sources.

The "good times", if you want to call it that, which preceded the last month may be attributable to the stimulus. But if it's petering out, we're in for some dire shit to come. Anyone can borrow on the credit card to get by a little longer, but only up to a point.
Let me get this straight; your argument has shifted from "things have gotten worse under Obama" to "things have gotten better under Obama but it's only temporary"? Haha. Also, most economists agree that the Stimulus wasn't big enough, due in part to the fact that we weren't aware of just how bad the economy was at the time. You're right, however, that the recovery is starting to hit a standstill. You should also realize that many things were stripped from the Stimulus due to Republican filibuster (what else is new?).

edit: and notice, as an example of the bias, how that paragraph attributes the debt that will accrue through 2019 in-part to the "Bush tax cuts" and the war in Afghanistan. But Democrats had the opportunity to kill those tax cuts and didn't, Obama has supported their continuation "in the short term", and Afghanistan - thanks to the troop surge - is Obama's (failed) baby. Bush hasn't been president for four years and the Democrats control the Senate (i.e. the budget, which they haven't even written/changed for over 3 years), and yet it's still all Bush's fault. yep.
You are correct about what Obama had the opportunity to do regarding the Bush tax cuts and Afghanistan; however, this is not evidence of a "liberal bias."

Regarding the Bush tax cuts, Obama wanted to allow the Bush tax cuts to expire for those making more than $250,000 a year; this did not happen because the Republicans in Congress were willing to let them expire for everyone (among other things like refusing to extend unemployment benefits) rather than let them expire for just those making more than $250,000 a year; in essence, they held the poor and middle class hostage in order to continue the tax cuts for the rich, so it is fair to rest the blame on the Republicans for the Bush tax cuts and their contribution to the debt and deficit. Second, it should be noted that Obama still plans to let the Bush tax cuts for the rich expire while Romney wants to make them worse. It should also be noted that the temporary extension of the Bush tax cuts for those making less than $250,000 is a form of economic stimulus. My sources are correct in showing that the debt and deficit problem is caused by Bush policies that decreased revenue and increased spending when none of it was paid for.

As for Afghanistan, it's unfair to call it Obama's "failed baby" when it has been going on for nearly 11 years. Likewise, Obama's plan to end the war in Afghanistan is not only good foreign policy, but also deficit-reducing.

Bush hasn't been president for four years and the Democrats control the Senate (i.e. the budget, which they haven't even written/changed for over 3 years), and yet it's still all Bush's fault. yep.
Budgets were passed when Democrats were in control. After Republicans took over the House, a budget was still passed in 2011 in the form of The Budget Control Act that specifically dealt with partisan differences. And again, the Bush tax cuts were extended only because of Republican obstruction.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og35U0d6WKY

WAKE THE FUCK UP!

Seriously? How can people act as if the left and the right are the same? I will not vote for a party, politician or anything in the middle that uses their influence to push a radical religious agenda and tries to push the idea of war with Iran just to create some self fulfilling prophecy. I will not vote for people who invade couple's bedrooms with silly religious based rules and regulations. -a party that does not care about women's rights, minorities, the sick and the well being of the poor. in short, "Fuck those elephant ass muthafuckas!" :evil:

Reactions: 4 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: What.