• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Desantis drops out of presidential race

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Florida governor Ron Desantis has announced he is ending his long shot campaign to become the Republican presidential nominee in November. He has endorsed Donald Trump.

70% of Republicans view Trump favorably, a fact which had left Desantis in a difficult position in which he had to both try to overtake Trump as nominee while paying lip service to him.

Haley remains as the sole challenger to Trump now, and the New Hampshire primary is right around the corner - where Trump is leading her with double digits. Further, 2/3 of Desantis supporters see Trump as their second choice - meaning Trump stands to make greater gains than Haley now that he has ended his campaign.

Trump in a change of tone praised the Florida governor, and it's possible Ron could even be chosen as Trump's VP later this year.

What are your thoughts? Do you think Haley could win the nomination or that Desantis will be rewarded with the VP offer or some other cabinet position?

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/tr...shire-ahead-critical-primary-vote-2024-01-21/

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Florida governor Ron Desantis has announced he is ending his long shot campaign to become the Republican presidential nominee in November. He has endorsed Donald Trump.

70% of Republicans view Trump favorably, a fact which had left Desantis in a difficult position in which he had to both try to overtake Trump as nominee while paying lip service to him.

Haley remains as the sole challenger to Trump now, and the New Hampshire primary is right around the corner - where Trump is leading her with double digits. Further, 2/3 of Desantis supporters see Trump as their second choice - meaning Trump stands to make greater gains than Haley now that he has ended his campaign.

Trump in a change of tone praised the Florida governor, and it's possible Ron could even be chosen as Trump's VP later this year.

What are your thoughts? Do you think Haley could win the nomination or that Desantis will be rewarded with the VP offer or some other cabinet position?

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/tr...shire-ahead-critical-primary-vote-2024-01-21/

i think its a cold day for america and a true shame.

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think its a cold day for america and a true shame.
Rematch between 2 geriatrics in November for sure now

If Trump miraculously wins he likely won't have control over Congress and won't be able to run again in 2028, meaning no incumbency advantage and likely D win after 4 years of lame duck presidency

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rematch between 2 geriatrics in November for sure now

If Trump miraculously wins he likely won't have control over Congress and won't be able to run again in 2028, meaning no incumbency advantage and likely D win after 4 years of lame duck presidency

no shot a D win in 2028, if ron runs again he absolutely will win. Assuming trump wins, then he cant run again, id be pretty sure he'd back ron, and with his independent base, and the fact that most modern D's are basically criminals he should clean up, granted, not being vp ( as far as we know) is a real bad idea though.

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With statistics like they are now that wouldn't require much of a miracle unfortunately.
And I don't think the global context is forgiving enough for 4 years of a dysfunctional government.
Life.

well i dont know why thats unfortunate, its wonderful news, but that all being said, dont forget xerox is publicly traded, plus theres really pretty much only one way he can win.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless some sort of legal roadblock happens that prevents Trump from being on the primary/caucus ballots (or something else stops him like illness, death or whatever), Haley doesn't have a chance IMO. Trump is expected to sweep the nomination. He's already gobbled up the endorsements from DeSantis and Ramaswamy (whatever small bump the latter will bring him anyway, it likely won't got to Haley at least).

Aside from the fact that Trump successfully radicalized voters in the GOP against "establishment" candidates, GOP voters don't like women and "non whites". To elaborate on that part in quotes, Nikki Haley's birth name is Nimarata Nikki Randhawa, and she's the daughter of Sikh Indian immigrants. Obviously her gender and racial background SHOULDN'T matter to normal people, but it certainly will to a significant number of GOP voters as they're anything but normal. Trump hasn't any wasted time in weaponizing this either.

I'm also going to make the prediction that Trump's VP won't be anyone from the debates. Similar to 2016. Most of them criticized him, or otherwise just showed ambition to seek out the presidency in competition with him, and those are unforgivable offenses in Trump's eyes. I expect he'll once again look outside for someone who he thinks is loyal but also weaker than him, unlikely to take attention and doesn't show much ambition for power as his equal. It definitely won't be Haley for ALL of the reasons mentioned above, and he also views her as a traitor on top of all that. And it'll be another white guy. Desantis is the new Ted Cruz in all of this, he'll try to suck up to Trump and get ignored. Utterly cucked and embarrassed with nothing to show for it.

There's still a lot of damage Trump can do even with a blue senate/house, given his general disregard of the law as well as the Supreme Court. And not just that court either, he'll be able to pick a bunch of other federal judges.

Still a long way to go until the election, but one thing i've noticed recently is that a lot of lefties have been turning on Biden due to the Israel/Palestine situation. So i'm curious how that will factor into the turnout especially from black voters. Demographics that saved Biden in 2020.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
well i dont know why thats unfortunate, its wonderful news, but that all being said, dont forget xerox is publicly traded, plus theres really pretty much only one way he can win.
I don't think either Trump or Biden are good options. I don't know why it has to come to this.
To be honest, this itself is unfortunate the moment the choice ends up being either Trump or Biden.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think either Trump or Biden are good options. I don't know why it has to come to this.
To be honest, this itself is unfortunate the moment the choice ends up being either Trump or Biden.

it is a real shame that its come to this. though i will respectfully disagree with you on trump not being a good candidate, i will certainly offer i think there are better options. i dont think it would be as unfortunate with trump, as communism has never really been appealing to me as it is to some, but, it is kind of a shame when a few of the other GOP choices ( and bobby on the left side) sound like better options. As far as why its come to this, its because we are victims of a LONG running scam of people we've never met who dress up in fancy suits appealing to the 1% while telling the 99% its about them, we do need it to change, but the only way to do that is through unity, which sadly, seems lost at this point.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He was a clown from the get-go so to avoid any more embarrassment he made the right decision to quit.

DeSantis should have accepted this trophy, at the very least. 🤣

titan_tim

(Can't shut up)
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The next two states to have primaries were definitely going to Trump or Nikki, so he dropped out to avoid the embarrassment of coming in third.

At least now we can have a referendum within the GOP of (somewhat) normal vs insanity. The Iowa caucus was only 13% of voters showing up, and between Halley and Desanti's votes together, it would have looked a lot differently. It's the exact same thing that happened in the 2016 primaries all over again. Trump getting a huge chunk of the vote, while the "normals" split the normal vote into tiny slices.

Then if Trump becomes the choice for the GOP, the people on the GOP side that specifically voted against Trump will vote blue in 2024.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The next two states to have primaries were definitely going to Trump or Nikki, so he dropped out to avoid the embarrassment of coming in third.

At least now we can have a referendum within the GOP of (somewhat) normal vs insanity. The Iowa caucus was only 13% of voters showing up, and between Halley and Desanti's votes together, it would have looked a lot differently. It's the exact same thing that happened in the 2016 primaries all over again. Trump getting a huge chunk of the vote, while the "normals" split the normal vote into tiny slices.

Then if Trump becomes the choice for the GOP, the people on the GOP side that specifically voted against Trump will vote blue in 2024.
In term a of a Republican there isn't much choice, it's either Trump or nothing. Tulsi Gabbard could have tried run for President.

titan_tim

(Can't shut up)
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
In term a of a Republican there isn't much choice, it's either Trump or nothing. Tulsi Gabbard could have tried run for President.
That's the thing though. We don't 100% know yet. Trump got 51% in a very red state. And of that 51%, due to the snowstorm, only 13% of the voters even showed up.

Now that Desantis and Ramaswamy have left the race, a LOT of those votes will go to Halley. I'm not saying that Trump won't win, but there's still some hope for sanity to prevail on that side.

• Haha
Reactions: tabzer and Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the thing though. We don't 100% know yet. Trump got 51% in a very red state. And of that 51%, due to the snowstorm, only 13% of the voters even showed up.

Now that Desantis and Ramaswamy have left the race, a LOT of those votes will go to Halley. I'm not saying that Trump won't win, but there's still some hope for sanity to prevail on that side.
Yep, not much of a choice.

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

2/3 of Desantis supporters said Trump was their second choice, half of Ramaswamy's supporters also had Trump as second choice

And that was when the field was larger...

Meaning Trump only stands to gain from both of them dropping out and endorsing him

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
2/3 of Desantis supporters said Trump was their second choice, half of Ramaswamy's supporters also had Trump as second choice

And that was when the field was larger...

Meaning Trump only stands to gain from both of them dropping out and endorsing him
Enough big ticket Republican donors in Haley's corner could tip the scales in some states, but walking on eggshells around Trump supporters while still making a strong case for why she'd be the better candidate is a lot to ask. At some point the best strategy would probably be to pivot and go straight for the jugular. The list of things she could attack him on is longer than a CVS receipt, and even Christie was pulling his punches.

Reactions: Dark_Ansem

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

Sanity, is that an attribute determined by comparison?

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Last I checked Tulsi was still a Democrat. I like her and agree with most of what I've heard her say, but the weird Hari Krishna cult membership is an issue I think.

Edit: correction - in late 2022 Tulsi Gabbard announced she was leaving the Democrat Party, but afaik she hasn't declared a political party affiliation or run for any office since.

He was a clown from the get-go so to avoid any more embarrassment he made the right decision to quit.

DeSantis should have accepted this trophy, at the very least. 🤣

I've never thought DeSantis had "it" as a Presidential candidate and I think he made a smart move to get out now before more damage was done. But this jerk pulling the trophy stunt is about as contemptible a piece of shit as I've seen in a while. It's an infantile prank for an immature audience.

Enough big ticket Republican and Democrat donors in Haley's corner .....

I agree with your post but think it's worth noting, she's taking big money from Democrat mega-donors too.

Last edited by Hanafuda,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto