• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Desantis drops out of presidential race

supermist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i dont know why thats unfortunate, its wonderful news, but that all being said, dont forget xerox is publicly traded, plus theres really pretty much only one way he can win.
Were you in a coma during the Trump administration? Only explanation for an answer like this.

Last edited by supermist,
Reactions: Dark_Ansem

titan_tim

(Can't shut up)
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
2/3 of Desantis supporters said Trump was their second choice, half of Ramaswamy's supporters also had Trump as second choice

And that was when the field was larger...

Meaning Trump only stands to gain from both of them dropping out and endorsing him
Yep, he could and probably will gain some support as well. Trump is still the likely candidate, but still have to hold on to a hope that thing can become a little more normal in politics.

Sanity, is that an attribute determined by comparison?
Sanity is determined by looking at what we think of as 'normal', and then comparing it to how well someone conforms to that.

We've never had a president saying that he had full immunity to do anything illegal that he wanted to, all while his supporters cheer him on. In political group that prides itself on the rule of law, that seems to not quite conform to the norms anymore.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I agree with your post but think it's worth noting, she's taking big money from Democrat mega-donors too.
Rich opportunists aren't really affiliated with either party, as they donate to both candidates every election cycle. Still, better Haley than Trump, if the money absolutely has to go to any Republican. It's also an issue of getting something in return, as Haley's donations actually go toward campaign spending, while Trump's donations are all wasted on his legal expenses and harebrained lawyers.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Desantis really is a joke, ngl. Dude literally just folded the second he realized he didn't stand a chance against Trump and that's pathetic. The Republicans actually need someone who isn't another spineless coward if they ever plan on separating themselves from Trump.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, it would appear that a rematch between the same old washed-out politicians is ever more imminent.
Although this time around it will be interesting to see how Trump's criminal trials interact with his election and voterbase (from an outsider's perspective). I don't think Biden's anyone's favorite, but at least he isn't nearly as volatile as Trump is. That, coupled with his lust for the power seat now that he's been outsed will probably ensure a very... interesting use of presidential power if he wins.
On the other hand, if the House flips, then he probably won't get very far either.
Either way, it will be an compelling case study on how Americans react to criminal penalties and the Presidency.

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trump is worse, so much worse, but Trump is basically Homelander. It doesn't matter what he does, it doesn't matter all the evidence that he works for him and himself only, he has his cult in his pocket.

i'm almost more angry with the dems to be honest. Why keeping Biden in, he's too old, doesn't represent the new generation or progress, and it's not like his family is squeaky clean either.
He's going to get destroyed by Trump in debate, or whatever it is that Americans call that farce of a debate, all of that because they didn't prepare a candidate to replace him.

All the more reason to drop the 2 party bullshit.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Biden and Trump should just get in a boxing ring and fight to the death like real men. the winner becomes president.
Trump is too scared to even debate, he'd definitely wuss out of a fight just like Musk wussed out against Zuckerberg. The Republican mascot should be a Chihuahua or a toy Poodle.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Trump is too scared to even debate, he'd definitely wuss out of a fight just like Musk wussed out against Zuckerberg.

to be fair. trump knows the con. its just another con.

biden cant put two words together. when the time comes trump will go and debate.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
biden cant put two words together. when the time comes trump will go and debate.
Trump ducked two out of three debates last time around after losing the first to Biden. He's also been slurring his speech more and more lately, and unable to stand up straight without wedges under the front of his shoes. Might stroke out before his next case goes to trial, let alone before the debates are scheduled.

titan_tim

(Can't shut up)
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Trump ducked two out of three debates last time around after losing the first to Biden. He's also been slurring his speech more and more lately, and unable to stand up straight without wedges under the front of his shoes. Might stroke out before his next case goes to trial, let alone before the debates are scheduled.
Also to be fair, the fear of losing all your money and being incarcerated for the rest of your life cause ANY 77 year old to nearly have a stroke.

Reactions: Xzi

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP

makes me think unless you are not born with a silver spoon. not matter how smart you are, how much good you do, how much hard work you do to go to the top. the game is rigged.

in movies president of the United States is this guy who is smart, witty, a million steps ahead of everyone else. in reality...

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Also to be fair, the fear of losing all your money and being incarcerated for the rest of your life cause ANY 77 year old to nearly have a stroke.
Probably a good idea to avoid committing serious crimes in your 70s, unless you have terminal cancer and want to go out in a blaze of glory robbing a bank or something.

makes me think unless you are not born with a silver spoon. not matter how smart you are, how much good you do, how much hard work you do to go to the top. the game is rigged.

in movies president of the United States is this guy who is smart, witty, a million steps ahead of everyone else. in reality...
Capitalism makes democracy less democratic, no doubt about that. Wasn't quite as bad before Citizens United opened up the floodgates.

Reactions: Flame

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Last I checked Tulsi was still a Democrat. I like her and agree with most of what I've heard her say, but the weird Hari Krishna cult membership is an issue I think.

I have an interesting story topical to that.

When I was living in Hawaii doing WWOOF there was a significant Hari Krishna cult prevalent that was recruiting/grooming members through their "charity". Basically you work for them in exchange for shelter and food, but you are not allowed to question their ideology or else you'd be forced out on the street.

They had an interesting idea, that the Christ was an incarnation of Krishna. The problem is that they "idolized" Krishna as being the supreme, and that all other religious entities were subservient incarnations. They couldn't recognize that the entities in question were pursuing an inspiration, and that inspiration is what defined them. I fear that this point might be too obscure for most audiences here.

They also ripped out the dictionary of the Bhagavat Gita copies that they passed out so that you wouldn't know how to question their interpretation and undermine their positions as "leaders of wisdom". So at that point, it was no longer even Krishna that was supreme, but their personal "interpretation". This was before smartphones.

I got sectioned off to an "off-camp" because I was tactful enough to both agree and disagree with them (at the time I was genuinely interested and inspired by their fervor, but I could not ignore my own; I wasn't trying to undermine them, as at the time I believed that we all had interest in the same pursuit). The questions I raised during "inspired sermons" inspired others, and they hated that. But they couldn't just cut me off without looking like bad people (that could be bias after the fact, maybe they are still trying to do their best?).

It's a cult built on pain and self-loathing, but I don't think it is very different from modern Christianity--or even political sides in the current political landscape. Krishna cult was slightly progressive in comparison, but still disengenious and missing of the point.

You’re Not the Buddha, Get Over It_ _ elephant journal.jpeg

Last edited by tabzer,

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an interesting story topical to that.

When I was living in Hawaii doing WWOOF there was a significant Hari Krishna cult prevalent that was recruiting/grooming members through their "charity". Basically you work for them in exchange for shelter and food, but you are not allowed to question their ideology or else you'd be forced out on the street.

They had an interesting idea, that the Christ was an incarnation of Krishna. The problem is that they "idolized" Krishna as being the supreme, and that all other religious entities were subservient incarnations. They couldn't recognize that the entities in question were pursuing an inspiration, and that inspiration is what defined them. I fear that this point might be too obscure for most audiences here.

They also ripped out the dictionary of the Bhagavat Gita copies that they passed out so that you wouldn't know how to question their interpretation and undermine their positions as "leaders of wisdom". So at that point, it was no longer even Krishna that was supreme, but their personal "interpretation". This was before smartphones.

I got sectioned off to an "off-camp" because I was tactful enough to both agree and disagree with them (at the time I was genuinely interested and inspired by their fervor, but I could not ignore my own; I wasn't trying to undermine them, as at the time I believed that we all had interest in the same pursuit). The questions I raised during "inspired sermons" inspired others, and they hated that. But they couldn't just cut me off without looking like bad people (that could be bias after the fact, maybe they are still trying to do their best?).

It's a cult built on pain and self-loathing, but I don't think it is very different from modern Christianity--or even political sides in the current political landscape. Krishna cult was slightly progressive in comparison, but still disengenious and missing of the point.

View attachment 415741

Interesting that you were once into such hippy-dippy pursuits as WWOOF. I once lived in the world of patchouli, organic veglife, chicks with hairy legs and pits, dreads, and deadheads.* In the early 90's I got a job in Japan teaching English, and when I came back a few years later I tried to get back with "my people." They weren't my people anymore though.

As for Gabbi's brand of religion, I think it could be a non-issue if it were bog-standard Krishna stuff. But the cult her parents were in, and raised her in, follow a guy named Chris Butler as an enlightened guru/deity. (It's called the Science of Identity Foundation) She has on several occasions denied that she's still involved, but then a recent video surfaced showing her at one of their events, with a photo of Chris Butler at an altar and her paying respects. As long as she was a Democrat on the party line nothing came of it, but now that she's jumped ship on them I'm sure it would go large if she declared candidacy for any political office running against them, especially for any Congressional seat or Pres/VP.

* I never "went on tour" following the band from show to show though, couldn't afford it without becoming effectively homeless. That shit was for the trust fund babies with financial safety nets.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?