ROM Hack [rom hacking] item duplicate for MH4G.

banxian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
*link removed*
Sorry that it has to be removed but it contains a copyrighted patched file.
it went unnoticed until now because I didn't care about MH4 and never visited this thread. I thought it was a tutorial to rom hacking the game, not provided pre-patched files.

If you want to share patches, you'll probably have to let the user extract its own files, apply patch (xdelta?), and generate the cia. The patching and cia creation can be automated using a batch or writing your own patcher.

Original post below:

for JPN region "BFGJ" rom.

Installing using bluebigmenu or devmenu.
need uninstall current 1.2 patch.
please backup your old 1.2 patch if you need online play.
next time when you do gamesave inside MH4G, item count in pocket bag first cell will be increase to 31.
and item in the last line of 14th page will change count to 63. even original count is 99.
if you place item into 89th cell in last page, it will change to other item with itemid+1.

how it works:
patching gamesave stream before encryption on save action.
item in gameplay is untouched, except you re-load from saved state.

TODO: unlock 2 bomb limit in map.

zeromission80

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really hope this never works in the US version of the game....it ruins the point of the game severely...seriously why cheat :shit:

banxian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
you are right. only for Japan Region. only for offline.

I havn't include binary import in public version, because maybe corrupt gamesave and hurt game balance if cheat on weapon /powerstone's attribute.

Reactions: willdunz

willdunz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow this is awesome

thanks for dong this

some of those 2% drop rate materials takes way too long to grind.

can't wait for "more than 2 bombs" update

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
did you take the 1.0 exectuble for the game, and edit it, and repack it as an update?
if so, very cool stuff! - if not, what did you do?

the coolest part is changing the item id, thank you! (maybe also having a cell than does itemid-1 too)

banxian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
did you take the 1.0 exectuble for the game, and edit it, and repack it as an update?
if so, very cool stuff! - if not, what did you do?

the coolest part is changing the item id, thank you! (maybe also having a cell than does itemid-1 too)

bingo, you found my secret!
because I add lots type/function proto define in 1.0 exefs, and can't merge it into 1.2 lossy. so I decide build a patch based on 1.0 one.
itemid-1 is a good idea, I'll add it if I moved to 1.2 exefs.

Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
bingo, you found my secret!
because I add lots type/function proto define in 1.0 exefs, and can't merge it into 1.2 lossy. so I decide build a patch based on 1.0 one.
itemid-1 is a good idea, I'll add it if I moved to 1.2 exefs.

is it very difficult to do? (the hacking stuff, not the update creation)
what kind of knowledge would i need to be able to do this for other games?

banxian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
is it very difficult to do? (the hacking stuff, not the update creation)
what kind of knowledge would i need to be able to do this for other games?
you need skills to locate load/save routines which copies between file stream and working user instance.
then diggy into each subroutine, to build a proper user's instance structual.
leaked CTR-SDK and my signature marker scripts may help you to rename some library function / global variable's name.
and if your target is supported by some savedataeditor, you can grab some useful offsets from their users.

Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
you need skills to locate load/save routines which copies between file stream and working user instance.
then diggy into each subroutine, to build a proper user's instance structual.
leaked CTR-SDK and my signature marker scripts may help you to rename some library function instance name.
and if your target is support by some savedataeditor, you can grab some useful offsets from their users.

very clever guy!

banxian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
banxian will u be able to port this hack to MH4U?
I am writing a tiny linker for static payload embedding.
If I finished this linker, I'll try to port it for exefs hacking propose, with duplicate sample.
my current patch building flow is not developer friendly coz need 010Editor

Melly Pix

Gbatemp's Lady Vulpix
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
*link removed*

for JPN region "BFGJ" rom.

Installing using bluebigmenu or devmenu.
need uninstall current 1.2 patch.
please backup your old 1.2 patch if you need online play.
next time when you do gamesave inside MH4G, item count in pocket bag first cell will be increase to 31.
and item in the last line of 14th page will change count to 63. even original count is 99.
if you place item into 89th cell in last page, it will change to other item with itemid+1.

how it works:
patching gamesave stream before encryption on save action.
item in gameplay is untouched, except you re-load from saved state.

TODO: unlock 2 bomb limit in map.

Sorry to make a selfish request, but is it possible to make something similar to this for MH3 3ds?

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The MH4G and MH4U Savegames are similar except Guild Cards, import/export including the use of your Hack is not that hard to do.

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
Did you mean I could just use this directly because they are closely the same?
Or it requires some more tweaking?

So I have to convert my save to mh4g, open it in 4g, save to get the dups then convert it back to mh4u.

I'm sorry, my knowledge is very limited in this and am confused.

Rurounik9999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The only problem here is everybody who wants to cheat is already doing so using some paid hardwares(aka PowerSaves) and we can't even duplicate some itens of quests that are a pain to get(and i do realize that it's a part of the game, grind and stuffs like that) but people like me, who already know how to play don't want(i stoped playing MH4U 2 weeks ago with 120h+ G1 Rank) to spend that effort doing 10 times the same quest carving that amount of itens to make a set.
C'mon guys, Powersavers are already using cheat to get impossible itens and legendary talismans ruining the game, why can't we have at least a dupe for itens that we already got in game doing quests?

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
There was someone who converted his mh4g to mh4u using the sdf method and since the guild cards arent the same, some of his s awards went missing and he can't go online in the elderhall but can play online at the gathering hall.

So it may be an easy thing to do but sadly it messes up other things in return...

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh hey, thanks. I got this to work. The conversion was tricky but saved me a lot of time from grinding. Mh guild card still intact.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade...