ReverseNX - Flag your console as handheld or docked

ReverseNX_logo_transparent_v4.png

ReverseNX

Combination of SaltyNX patches that force games to think that you are using docked or handheld mode.

You can use it to change graphics settings and unlock some options that are available only in docked/handheld mode. For now in experimental phase, because SaltyNX has many bugs that need to be patched.

To download latest SaltyNX, check links at the end of post.

To use ReverseNX, you need to use ReverseNX-Tool which can be downloaded at the end of this post. Check readme in repo to learn how to use it.

When forcing docked mode, it is recommended to use OC settings exactly as used in docked mode:
Code:
handheld_charging_gpu=768
handheld_charging_mem=1600

Known issues:
  • SaltyNX is still under development, so it may cause issues on it's own. More in SaltyNX repo.

Thanks to @Kirby567fan and @crow132 for testing.
To @RattletraPM for logo.
To @SunTheCourier for sys-clk Editor on which I have based ReverseNX-Tool >=2.0.0
To Borealis contributors for Borealis which I'm using from 3.0.0

ReverseNX-Tool

github repo: https://github.com/masagrator/ReverseNX-Tool
Releases: https://github.com/masagrator/ReverseNX-Tool/releases

SaltyNX
github repo: https://github.com/masagrator/SaltyNX
Releases: https://github.com/masagrator/SaltyNX/releases

Last edited by masagrator,

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
All my games are on my usb hdd. So I can never use this function? :(
Is there a homebrew that allows me to load usb hdd games yet? So I can use other CFW?

EDMIRE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so the main benefit of this is for those that play in handheld mode while plugged in to get tv mode graphics without being hooked up to a tv?. do a lot of games play noticeably worse in handheld mode vs docked? i mostly play in handheld mode but usually in bed by an outlet, wondering if Im missing out on playing games in lower quality. the times that i use docked mode are for games i only play docked like super smash bros (too small to play with friends on the screen especially when zoomed out)
You are missing out quite a bit. Some games look fine in handheld, like BOTW, but games like DOOM run at a lower resolution than 720p and have reduced graphic effects or have some effects removed completely. Like ambient occlusion in DOOM is missing from handheld. So if you enable docked support in handheld, and clock the GPU to match how it runs in docked, you'll get an amazing quality boost over the handheld version. It looks absolutely amazing in comparison. Some games don't loot too different but a lot do

Trice

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Sounds really cool, pretty much what I wanted from the very beginning. Would be great if there was a sort of global profile manager that could manage both this and sys-clk on a game by game basis, so you could set it to switch to a certain profile based on the game you start, if the official charger is connected etc.

Reactions: Csmrcc

masagrator

The patches guy
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sounds really cool, pretty much what I wanted from the very beginning. Would be great if there was a sort of global profile manager that could manage both this and sys-clk on a game by game basis, so you could set it to switch to a certain profile based on the game you start, if the official charger is connected etc.
Loading by titleid is in the plans (function getting titleid for plugin is done).
But GUI is not in the plans from my side. ;)

Reactions: Trice

gameplayswitch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fresh install of Atmosphere 0.9.2 on FW 4.1.0 (no emummc), getting this error.. Every file is in the correct place..

SaltySD Spawner: got SD card
SaltySD Spawner Start
Spawner: ELF load failed with f001

Any ideas?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Will this enable true 720p output in docked mode? Currently when you select 720p in docked mode the game is still rendered at 1080p internally and you get no performance improvement. I'm assuming it doesn't affect the render resolution since it's not mentioned, but it would be nice if there was a tool that could do that.

Sillybunnie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are missing out quite a bit. Some games look fine in handheld, like BOTW, but games like DOOM run at a lower resolution than 720p and have reduced graphic effects or have some effects removed completely. Like ambient occlusion in DOOM is missing from handheld. So if you enable docked support in handheld, and clock the GPU to match how it runs in docked, you'll get an amazing quality boost over the handheld version. It looks absolutely amazing in comparison. Some games don't loot too different but a lot do

thanks this is exactly the kind of explanation i needed as i was in the dark clueless on the benefit of this even though so many were excited about it. hence why i asked. i didnt realize some games changed the actual look of the game in terms of graphic effects, i thought it was just resolution change from 1080p to 720p.
so when you use this hack the cpu (or is it the gpu only?) will still only run at handheld speed then and not docked speed? which is why you need to use an overclock homebrew? what is the difference in cpu speed between the two modes?

I found this article about games you should play docked, didn't know it could be this different:
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is one of the few Nintendo Switch games that suffers noticeable downgrades when playing undocked. Resolution will be at 720p when playing on your television, but take the system out of its dock and resolutions can drop to as low as 368p in certain areas. The image is noticeably blurrier, with jagged edges on objects. Given the amount of information and statistics displayed on the screen at any one time in the game, you’re going to want to have a clear image at all times.

masagrator

The patches guy
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Will this enable true 720p output in docked mode?.
If game has in handheld mode 720p screen resolution, then yes (mostly 2D games like Terraria).

so when you use this hack the cpu (or is it the gpu only?) will still only run at handheld speed then and not docked speed? which is why you need to use an overclock homebrew? what is the difference in cpu speed between the two modes?

It still runs only in handheld speed because plugin doesn't affect system, but game. For settings clocks game needs permission from Switch to set docked clocks and they are blocked in handheld mode.
There is no difference in CPU clocks between two modes. Only RAM (1331 vs 1600 MHz) and GPU (307, 384, 460 MHz vs 768 MHz).

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

EDMIRE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks this is exactly the kind of explanation i needed as i was in the dark clueless on the benefit of this even though so many were excited about it. hence why i asked. i didnt realize some games changed the actual look of the game in terms of graphic effects, i thought it was just resolution change from 1080p to 720p.

I found this article about games you should play docked, didn't know it could be this different:
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is one of the few Nintendo Switch games that suffers noticeable downgrades when playing undocked. Resolution will be at 720p when playing on your television, but take the system out of its dock and resolutions can drop to as low as 368p in certain areas. The image is noticeably blurrier, with jagged edges on objects. Given the amount of information and statistics displayed on the screen at any one time in the game, you’re going to want to have a clear image at all times.
Without homebrew, the Switch CPU always stays at 1ghz when both docked an undocked. The GPU is the only thing that changes. When docked it hits up to 768mhz, and handheld it goes all the way down to 384mhz. using a tool like freebird will allow you to boost the CPU up to 1.7ghz and GPU up to 921mhz. If you don't want to overclock and want to match the default docked preset, set the GPU to 768mhz. If you want the best visuals and performance possible, use the official C adapter that goes into the dock to access the 921mhz GPU option. Be warned that your switch will get loud and pretty hot. But I can say from experience that I haven't had an issue with heat. It's just loud. But if you plan to use docked mode in handheld like normal make sure only the GPU is at 768mhz, otherwise, your performance will go down by a lot. Also, this will drain the battery much faster. If you want to play like this all the time, I recommend a battery case or something.

crow132

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Helena
tried myself on emummc to check what the issue is, i managed hos to launch (though sometime it fails)
it crash everytime I try to launch a game (tried a bunch of different games, same result)

I get an atmosphere error screen when crashing, not sure if the logs it provides could be of any use

Last edited by crow132,

masagrator

The patches guy
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
tried myself on emummc to check what the issue is, i managed hos to launch (though sometime it fails)
it crash everytime you try to launch a game (tried a bunch of different games, same result)

I get an atmosphere error screen when crashing, not sure if the logs it provides could be of any use
Make Issue report on github. Maybe they will help.

Reactions: crow132

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: but well atleast my game tv stick can, @Psionic Roshambo