[Release] SimpleModDownloader, a mod downloader for your switch

logo

HI community,

I've recently delved into the vast world of Switch modding and found it tiresome always having to rely on a computer to install mods. I found the idea of SimpleModManager interesting, but it lacked a downloading feature. That's why I created the homebrew SimpleModDownloader. The installation part is done through SimpleModManager, so there's a button to switch from the downloader to the manager.

SimpleModDownloader is based on the extensive gamebanana database.

Downloads:
Releases: https://github.com/PoloNX/SimpleModDownloader/releases/
Source: https://github.com/PoloNX/SimpleModDownloader

How to use it:
  • Place the .nro file on your SD card in the "/switch/" folder.
  • Launch the homebrew from the homebrew launcher.

EDIT : Hello community! I'm very pleased to announce that I've finally finished rewriting SimpleModDownloader from scratch. The app now utilizes a new version of Borealis for the UI, which has allowed me greater flexibility in the UI design. Here's the changelog, which is quite extensive, and I may have surely missed some things
  • Rewrote the app from scratch using Borealis.
  • Transitioned to a new build tool: CMake.
  • Fixed #46 and #39.
  • Added a new page to preview the mod.
  • Implemented detection to check if a mod is compatible with SimpleModDownloader (in reality, I check if there's a romfs folder in the archive, as permitted by the GameBanana API).
  • Added a fix to prevent a crash that occurred when the mod contained special characters.
  • Reduced loading times and implemented multi-threading for improved performance.
Here is some screenshots/video

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

If you want to translate the app into other languages, feel free to do so! You will be credited in the homebrew.

I would like to thank all of you for being able to help me improve the application day by day by reporting bugs and feature requests :)

Last edited by PoloNX,

HerobrineTVv

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi, it's writed in the download tab. It goes to /mod(s)/
Post automatically merged:

It uses "RomFS" and not "romfs" sadly. All mods developpers have their own convention. I'm not blaming the dev, just I think it's weird to mark RomFS
But u could just check if theres a folder called romfs (foldername.tolowercase() == romfs) and if thats the case copy the files into a romfs file created by u. This should solve that Issue I guess. Since the case senistivity isnt that hard to workaround with this solution

sxp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, it's writed in the download tab. It goes to /mod(s)/

It uses "RomFS" and not "romfs" sadly. All mods developpers have their own convention. I'm not blaming the dev, just I think it's weird to mark RomFS
I don't see it in the mods. Only files that were installed go to the mods folder but those that were not doesn't show anywhere else. You can test it on EO3 HD Balance Patch mod. It will download and extract but doesn't show in Simplemodmanager. It still takes space so I want to delete it since some are big files like 500mb+.

Last edited by sxp,

sxp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check in config/SimpleModDownloadef
No files there too. I only see settings.json inside. Simplemodmamanager only shows parameters.ini. I checked all folders inside atmosphere and can't see these unused files

PoloNX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
France
No files there too. I only see settings.json inside. Simplemodmamanager only shows parameters.ini. I checked all folders inside atmosphere and can't see these unused files
It’s weird. SimpleModDownloader doesn’t install file in other location than /config/SimpleModDownloader and mods/ directory

vishy92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Hey! Just found this awesome mod, but whenever i download a mod athmosphere crashes. I guess it tries to unzip the package? It downloads just fine

Any ideas?

FoxStorm1

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
bit.ly
XP
Country
United Kingdom
HI community,

I've recently delved into the vast world of Switch modding and found it tiresome always having to rely on a computer to install mods. I found the idea of SimpleModManager interesting, but it lacked a downloading feature. That's why I created the homebrew SimpleModDownloader. The installation part is done through SimpleModManager, so there's a button to switch from the downloader to the manager.

SimpleModDownloader is based on the extensive gamebanana database.

Downloads:
Releases: https://github.com/PoloNX/SimpleModDownloader/releases/
Source: https://github.com/PoloNX/SimpleModDownloader

How to use it:
  • Place the .nro file on your SD card in the "/switch/" folder.
  • Launch the homebrew from the homebrew launcher.
Screenshots:
View attachment 378475

Video :

View attachment 378481

If you want to translate the app into other languages, feel free to do so! You will be credited in the homebrew.

Edit : v1.0.1 is available ! Check the changelog here : https://github.com/PoloNX/SimpleModDownloader/releases/tag/1.0.1
Only shows 1 game in the mod manager and that is the first game you download mods for, have no idea how to add more games to the manager.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just downloaded v2.0 and it is very prone to crashing. Some mods just don't download, nothing happens when I hit the download button. It would also be great if there was a way to sort out the game list, or add a search function (unless it's there and I missed it).

It would also be a relief if only games that have available mods were listed.

PoloNX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
France
Just downloaded v2.0 and it is very prone to crashing. Some mods just don't download, nothing happens when I hit the download button. It would also be great if there was a way to sort out the game list, or add a search function (unless it's there and I missed it).

It would also be a relief if only games that have available mods were listed.
Hi ! Thanks for using the homebrew. If you click on download and nothing append it’s because the mod is incompatible with SimpleModDownloader. I check if there’s a romfs/ folder in the archive using gamebanana’s api. I wanted to add a notification but sadly borealis remove the notify method. And all installed games are listed. If you click on it and you don’t see mods it’s because there’s no mods for this game. If the app crash can you send me your logs in one new issue on the GitHub ?I hope I’ve been able to answer all your questions

Is there a version that works with yuzu?
Sadly no. But it can be a new feature soon !

Reactions: Ligeia

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi ! Thanks for using the homebrew. If you click on download and nothing append it’s because the mod is incompatible with SimpleModDownloader. I check if there’s a romfs/ folder in the archive using gamebanana’s api. I wanted to add a notification but sadly borealis remove the notify method. And all installed games are listed. If you click on it and you don’t see mods it’s because there’s no mods for this game. If the app crash can you send me your logs in one new issue on the GitHub ?I hope I’ve been able to answer all your questions
Thanks for the reply, I'll try to take a pic next time I get a crash. Yeah I get it for the games without mods but I got tons of games on my Switch so it's really a hassle to browse through all of them to find a specific titie. That's why some way to sort them alphabatetically or to not include mod-less games on the list would really go a long way to streamline the process :)

Shinpi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi! I'm very new to this and just stumbled across this homebrew. I put the .nro into the switch folder and also installed simplemodmanager. But whenever i try to open a game in simplemoddownloader to show the mods, the app just crashes. What could the issue be? Happens with every game. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Shinpi,

PoloNX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
France
Hi! I'm very new to this and just stumbled across this homebrew. I put the .nro into the switch folder and also installed simplemodmanager. But whenever i try to open a game in simplemoddownloader to show the mods, the app just crashes. What could the issue be? Happens with every game. Thanks in advance!
Hi. Can you send me the log file located in config/SimpleModDownloader please ?

Thanks for the reply, I'll try to take a pic next time I get a crash. Yeah I get it for the games without mods but I got tons of games on my Switch so it's really a hassle to browse through all of them to find a specific titie. That's why some way to sort them alphabatetically or to not include mod-less games on the list would really go a long way to streamline the process :)
It would be a big cost to request to gamebanana for each game if there’s mods available. I can add a function to sort by name

KyleYagami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Clicking download won't do anything. Strange

Clicking download won't do anything. Strange

Jaxon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having same issue. Updated to 2.0 within app, it froze at 100%. Force reboot. Now any homebrew crashes at launch. Overlay works but launching anything crashes. Applet, game, doesn't matter.

Tried everything to no avail, and searched internet for last THREE HOURS. It's past midnight and I gotta work getting up at 5am. But this needs to be solved.

What do I need to delete or create to get rid of this crap completely, or fix it just enough to not crash? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Holding R and selecting album, get this

I'll come back and edit in what I get from everything else

Selecting HomeBrew Menu forwarder and holding R launching any game

I'm having same issue. Updated to 2.0 within app, it froze at 100%. Force reboot. Now any homebrew crashes at launch. Overlay works but launching anything crashes. Applet, game, doesn't matter.

Tried everything to no avail, and searched internet for last THREE HOURS. It's past midnight and I gotta work getting up at 5am. But this needs to be solved.

What do I need to delete or create to get rid of this crap completely, or fix it just enough to not crash? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

FINALLY got into the HB Menu. After deleting everything related to Downloader and Manager in switch, and config, and mods, I pulled up overlay and turned off sysmod sys-screenuploader. No idea if it was involved but I was trying to eliminate variables.

Then I killed all background processes, and voila (or is it "viola"? 🤨 Idk who cares), I'm in.

My goodness that was a headache. Fellow Switch gamers suffering alongside me. Try what I did.

Last edited by Jaxon,

PoloNX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
France

FINALLY got into the HB Menu. After deleting everything related to Downloader and Manager in switch, and config, and mods, I pulled up overlay and turned off sysmod sys-screenuploader. No idea if it was involved but I was trying to eliminate variables.

Then I killed all background processes, and voila (or is it "viola"? 🤨 Idk who cares), I'm in.

My goodness that was a headache. Fellow Switch gamers suffering alongside me. Try what I did.
Hi. I’m very sorry for your switch. I have no idea of why it happened. I just edit files located in /config/SimpleModDownloader and In mods/
I don’t know what happened to you hbl. If you have an idea of what did you do exactly it can help me to find a solution

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto