[Release] SimpleModDownloader, a mod downloader for your switch

logo

HI community,

I've recently delved into the vast world of Switch modding and found it tiresome always having to rely on a computer to install mods. I found the idea of SimpleModManager interesting, but it lacked a downloading feature. That's why I created the homebrew SimpleModDownloader. The installation part is done through SimpleModManager, so there's a button to switch from the downloader to the manager.

SimpleModDownloader is based on the extensive gamebanana database.

Downloads:
Releases: https://github.com/PoloNX/SimpleModDownloader/releases/
Source: https://github.com/PoloNX/SimpleModDownloader

How to use it:
  • Place the .nro file on your SD card in the "/switch/" folder.
  • Launch the homebrew from the homebrew launcher.

EDIT : Hello community! I'm very pleased to announce that I've finally finished rewriting SimpleModDownloader from scratch. The app now utilizes a new version of Borealis for the UI, which has allowed me greater flexibility in the UI design. Here's the changelog, which is quite extensive, and I may have surely missed some things
  • Rewrote the app from scratch using Borealis.
  • Transitioned to a new build tool: CMake.
  • Fixed #46 and #39.
  • Added a new page to preview the mod.
  • Implemented detection to check if a mod is compatible with SimpleModDownloader (in reality, I check if there's a romfs folder in the archive, as permitted by the GameBanana API).
  • Added a fix to prevent a crash that occurred when the mod contained special characters.
  • Reduced loading times and implemented multi-threading for improved performance.
Here is some screenshots/video

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

If you want to translate the app into other languages, feel free to do so! You will be credited in the homebrew.

I would like to thank all of you for being able to help me improve the application day by day by reporting bugs and feature requests :)

Last edited by PoloNX,

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This is an awesome program. Thanks for making it. My son has a Switch and he wanted to mod SSBU to get some advanced Sonic characters, but alas, his Switch is too new to be modded. So I am now trying to do it on Yuzu or Ryujinx on a Linux OS. Been trying for weeks to get mods to work for SSBU on Yuzu or Ryujinx, but no luck. I tried SimpleModManager, but it appears the file structure for the emulators might be different from that of the Switch. The mods aren't working. Any advice?
no becouse it is crashing on switch

Last edited by Lamcza,

PoloNX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
France
This is an awesome program. Thanks for making it. My son has a Switch and he wanted to mod SSBU to get some advanced Sonic characters, but alas, his Switch is too new to be modded. So I am now trying to do it on Yuzu or Ryujinx on a Linux OS. Been trying for weeks to get mods to work for SSBU on Yuzu or Ryujinx, but no luck. I tried SimpleModManager, but it appears the file structure for the emulators might be different from that of the Switch. The mods aren't working. Any advice?
Maybe you can check for ARCropolis
Post automatically merged:

no becouse it is crashing on switch :rofl2:
SimpleModDownloader is crashing ?

Reactions: Lamcza

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Maybe you can check for ARCropolis

SimpleModDownloader is crashing ?
yeaa but no in every game i remeber crush in some pokemon game it was first game that i check and it crash on it :D it was arceus i think and some one other game but dont remember whitch one, other than that so far seems to be working fine

Last edited by Lamcza,

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi. I think this is awesome but I have downloaded a good amount of mods but they just won't show up on Simple Mod Manager. I tried looking for a "mods" folder in my SD card but there is none. Where do the mods download to? And what is the correct path to put them in so Simple Mod Manager can find them easily? Is there something else to do? Thanks in advance.

MashyLatte

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hi. I think this is awesome but I have downloaded a good amount of mods but they just won't show up on Simple Mod Manager. I tried looking for a "mods" folder in my SD card but there is none. Where do the mods download to? And what is the correct path to put them in so Simple Mod Manager can find them easily? Is there something else to do? Thanks in advance.
Did you solve it? I have the same problem :(

Herculeex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am getting crashes on lots of games. On supported games with successful downloads, the mods still do not appear in the installer app. I tried applet mode + title mode

Reactions: Lamcza

PoloNX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
France
Hey, I have a good news for you. I have some times to fix bugs and push a new release (with rar support !)

Sadly I don't have pokémon game so I can't test if my fix work. Someone can test the following build ?

Attachments

• SimpleModDownloader.7z
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
Last edited by PoloNX,

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey, I have a good news for you. I have some times to fix bugs and push a new release (with rar support !)

Sadly I don't have pokémon game so I can't test if my fix work. Someone can test the following build ?
Pokemon Legends Arceus shows up. i can download but no mods are in the mods folder nor do they show up in the app. scarlet and vviolet doesnt work at all. it freezes and force closes. Brilliant diamond works.

PoloNX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
France
Pokemon Legends Arceus shows up. i can download but no mods are in the mods folder nor do they show up in the app. scarlet and vviolet doesnt work at all. it freezes and force closes. Brilliant diamond works.
Thanks. I’ll fix this and release the new version in few days I think

HerobrineTVv

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yo, I noticed while Downloading Chaos MarioMaker Remastered, that It doesnt get installed, but theres a romfs, u might have forgotten to check sub folders for romfs since its 1 or 2 folders deep

Yo, I noticed while Downloading Chaos MarioMaker Remastered, that It doesnt get installed, but theres a romfs, u might have forgotten to check sub folders for romfs since its 1 or 2 folders deep

sxp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where do the downloaded files go? I want to delete several files that turned out to be not supported for Switch like the EO3HD mods

Where do the extracted files go but not installed? I want to delete several mods that turned out to be not supported on Switch like the EO3HD mod.

PoloNX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
France
Where do the downloaded files go? I want to delete several files that turned out to be not supported for Switch like the EO3HD mods

Where do the extracted files go but not installed? I want to delete several mods that turned out to be not supported on Switch like the EO3HD mod.
Hi, it's writed in the download tab. It goes to /mod(s)/

It uses "RomFS" and not "romfs" sadly. All mods developpers have their own convention. I'm not blaming the dev, just I think it's weird to mark RomFS

Last edited by PoloNX,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto