ReverseNX - Flag your console as handheld or docked

ReverseNX_logo_transparent_v4.png

ReverseNX

Combination of SaltyNX patches that force games to think that you are using docked or handheld mode.

You can use it to change graphics settings and unlock some options that are available only in docked/handheld mode. For now in experimental phase, because SaltyNX has many bugs that need to be patched.

To download latest SaltyNX, check links at the end of post.

To use ReverseNX, you need to use ReverseNX-Tool which can be downloaded at the end of this post. Check readme in repo to learn how to use it.

When forcing docked mode, it is recommended to use OC settings exactly as used in docked mode:
Code:
handheld_charging_gpu=768
handheld_charging_mem=1600

Known issues:
  • SaltyNX is still under development, so it may cause issues on it's own. More in SaltyNX repo.

Thanks to @Kirby567fan and @crow132 for testing.
To @RattletraPM for logo.
To @SunTheCourier for sys-clk Editor on which I have based ReverseNX-Tool >=2.0.0
To Borealis contributors for Borealis which I'm using from 3.0.0

ReverseNX-Tool

github repo: https://github.com/masagrator/ReverseNX-Tool
Releases: https://github.com/masagrator/ReverseNX-Tool/releases

SaltyNX
github repo: https://github.com/masagrator/SaltyNX
Releases: https://github.com/masagrator/SaltyNX/releases

Last edited by masagrator,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The sync ReverseNX mode is built-in the OC suite tools and yes it's a overlay for Tesla (it's built-in their sys-clk-oc overlay under miscellaneous option)...

The protection is just because you shouldn't want to extract too much power from the switch battery much beyond it's specs, generally speaking from battery perspective higher loads = much more heat, much more voltage drop, much less life cycles and if the battery couldn't handle it like badly designed could lead to catastrophic failures like many devices were plagued in the past (cough, cough, 1 bad battery model in Nvidia Shield Tablet + some samsungs...).

The ReverseNX will still do it's magic of engaging docked mode visuals on supported games that have regardless of being portable with or without charger or being docked and wanting higher performance by engaging handheld mode with lower visuals on games that have it...

But while handheld if you still want the full docked clocks I wouldn't risk it without a charger, specially in Erista Switch cause the old chip will put a lot more wattage sucking from the tiny low power battery.

ps: But there's also mods out there like extreme dual battery mod and if you chose batteries well you could maybe easily get the full docked clocks out of those way better batteries (all depends on their specs specially their max discharge rate), that's probably were you would want to disable the lower clocks protection while on battery...

Last edited by guily6669,

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
The sync ReverseNX mode is built-in the OC suite tools and yes it's a overlay for Tesla (it's built-in their sys-clk-oc overlay under miscellaneous option)...

The protection is just because you shouldn't want to extract too much power from the switch battery much beyond it's specs, generally speaking from battery perspective higher loads = much more heat, much more voltage drop, much less life cycles and if the battery couldn't handle it like badly designed could lead to catastrophic failures like many devices were plagued in the past (cough, cough, 1 bad battery model in Nvidia Shield Tablet + some samsungs...).

The ReverseNX will still do it's magic of engaging docked mode visuals on supported games that have regardless of being portable with or without charger or being docked and wanting higher performance by engaging handheld mode with lower visuals on games that have it...

But while handheld if you still want the full docked clocks I wouldn't risk it without a charger, specially in Erista Switch cause the old chip will put a lot more wattage sucking from the tiny low power battery.

ps: But there's also mods out there like extreme dual battery mod and if you chose batteries well you could maybe easily get the full docked clocks out of those way better batteries (all depends on their specs specially their max discharge rate), that's probably were you would want to disable the lower clocks protection while on battery...
I made a pace with the fact that switch is underpowered system. Im trying to run doom ethernal to have at least 30-40 fps or/and sharper image. I found some mod that removes dynamic resolution, it looks way sharper now, but fps drops. Any idea how i can fix that?

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's totally normal, the game goes VASELINE to keep 30FPS, if you put fixed higher resolution in it, the FPS will suck so badly...

I actually barely used my Switch battery since 2018, I made less than 10 full cycles, I only play portable, but I always have the charger plugged in and OC if your willing the risk is your best friend, it makes doom to look from Vaseline to some good sharpness.

All games with dynamic resolution if you OC you instantly win a lot of image quality and FPS depending on the game original performance\visuals target.

The 4IFIR mode claims to support a good amount of OC while maintaining same power output of stock at least on Mariko, but I haven't tested it and can't recommend it either sadly until the developer puts it like on github with all info fully explained, but it's up to you if you want to check it out from @Cooler3D (which if the claim is real would allow to keep original battery power drain while using considerable higher clocks, but I don't know anything about it and if it's real or not)...

If you want to go OC and understand it's risks I recommend OC suite and is recommended that you change thermal paste to a good one, specially direct-die-to-cooler without the copper shim but making sure it's making good connection (you can put some cheap thermal paste, screw it in always in "X" pattern and then unscrew and check if the paste is perfectly contacting with the whole die\cooler, you might need a very slight bend on the cooler pipe to have good contact, when it's fine then you apply the proper better thermal paste for good).

Last edited by guily6669,

Cooler3D

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I made a pace with the fact that switch is underpowered system. Im trying to run doom ethernal to have at least 30-40 fps or/and sharper image. I found some mod that removes dynamic resolution, it looks way sharper now, but fps drops. Any idea how i can fix that?
If you are not confused by what was said about me in the SysCLK thread, then you can try 4IFIR.
At least, if 4IFIR does not solve your problem, then nothing will solve it.

Reactions: guily6669

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
It's totally normal, the game goes VASELINE to keep 30FPS, if you put fixed higher resolution in it, the FPS will suck so badly...

I actually barely used my Switch battery since 2018, I made less than 10 full cycles, I only play portable, but I always have the charger plugged in and OC if your willing the risk is your best friend, it makes doom to look from Vaseline to some good sharpness.

All games with dynamic resolution if you OC you instantly win a lot of image quality and FPS depending on the game original performance\visuals target.

The 4IFIR mode claims to support a good amount of OC while maintaining same power output of stock at least on Mariko, but I haven't tested it and can't recommend it either sadly until the developer puts it like on github with all info fully explained, but it's up to you if you want to check it out from @Cooler3D (which if the claim is real would allow to keep original battery power drain while using considerable higher clocks, but I don't know anything about it and if it's real or not)...
What is 4IFIR?

If you are not confused by what was said about me in the SysCLK thread, then you can try 4IFIR.
At least, if 4IFIR does not solve your problem, then nothing will solve it.
What did you said in SysCLK thread?

What is 4IFIR??

masagrator

The patches guy
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Why are you referring to me?
I wasn't talking, but asking what others talked about it. I don't even know what that is...
Because you asked, so you want to continue discussion about it here.
And I guess googling is not your strong point since first result of "4ifir" already explains what is it.

• Angry
Reactions: Metoroid0

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Because you asked, so you want to continue discussion about it here.
And I guess googling is not your strong point since first result of "4ifir" already explains what is it.
No i don't want to continue if its off topic.

As far as im concerned it could be ON topic since i literally have no idea what it is lol, so naturally and politely would be to ask a question.
I asked cause THE OTHER person mentioned it, they are obviously AWARE its offtopic.
Tell THEM not to write offtopic stuff in the first place not to me for asking, or at least quote both of us, or three of us, not me specifically LoL

This is stupid i swear.... It makes me annoyed when people point fingers at me for no reason.

Last edited by Metoroid0,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No i don't want to continue if its off topic.

As far as im concerned it could be ON topic since i literally have no idea what it is lol, so naturally and politely would be to ask a question.
I asked cause THE OTHER person mentioned it, they are obviously AWARE its offtopic.
Tell THEM not to write offtopic stuff in the first place not to me for asking, or at least quote both of us, or three of us, not me specifically LoL

This is stupid i swear.... It makes me annoyed when people point fingers at me for no reason.
Sorry I just mentioned it because options and I can't deny options to anyone, but like I said I don't recommend it and haven't tested my self but it's all up to you to check it out if you want by PM the user I said on my previous post...

I don't think it was totally off topic since it's related to what you want to do with ReverseNX and wanting some higher clocks draining from the battery, but like I said I know nothing about it and haven't tested it...

Also I recommend ReverseNX-RT which is much better it works as overlay in tesla menu, if you use OC suite it comes already with the overlay in the pack.

ps: Extending the conversation about it is what's probably going to Off-topic. Don't reply to this post!!!

Cooler3D

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
What is 4IFIR??
What is 4IFIR?

4***R is a project that cannot be discussed on the forum. I am its author. If we continue the discussion here, first the members of one notorious discord will land here. Next, the moderator will spawn, drive those present away, and, most likely, will do worse with me. If you want to discuss a project that is forbidden to be discussed on the forum, please complain to the PM. The topic starter of this thread is obviously also not happy with my presence, and would not like the above to happen, so he politely asks to get out of the way with a discussion of a project that cannot be discussed on the forum.

I know how absurd this sounds, but it's my sadness, not my fault. If you are interested in a solution to your problem, write to me directly. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Stormrider2801

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hello, if I play some light game like Nintendo Switch Sports and it works perfectly in docked mode but without overclock then basically, there is no need to overclock or even thou game works great, I should overclock GPU and MEM nonetheless.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hello, if I play some light game like Nintendo Switch Sports and it works perfectly in docked mode but without overclock then basically, there is no need to overclock or even thou game works great, I should overclock GPU and MEM nonetheless.
if you are satisfied with the performance, running while overclocked may decrease your battery’s lifespan unnecessarily. You have to decide if it is worth it.

Litvinkov

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Help me understand if i'm doing something wrong - i want to play mario tennis aces' swing mode in table-top mode with two people, but it won't let you do that (it doesn't let more than 1 player join the game if it's not docked), so i thought i'm going to use reversenx to make the game "docked" and it would work, but nothing changed, it still acts like it's in handheld and won't allow two people in swing mode.

I'm using saltynx 0.6.0, reversenx 3.1.2 and atmosphere 1.4.0 (13.1.0)

taggen86

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Updated ReverseNX-Tool to fix compability issues with how Red Dead Redemption is using sdk to detect docked/handheld mode. ReverseNX-RT will require more time to fix.

Can you have both reverse nx tool and reverse nx rt installed on the switch at the same time without getting crashes?

masagrator

The patches guy
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Can you have both reverse nx tool and reverse nx rt installed on the switch at the same time without getting crashes?
Yes. ReverseNX-Tool patches functions in sdk binary while ReverseNX-RT is redirecting calls to its own functions that also are reusing sdk if needed. So they can coexist.

Reactions: taggen86

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto