FPSLocker homebrew app for Switch updated to v1.1.0

Screenshot from 2023-03-18 13-10-48.png

Switch users rejoice, as now you can enjoy your games with framerates above the locked 30fps that most of the titles released for the Nintendo Switch are forcefully locked into.
Homebrew developer @masagrator has developed a homebrew application which works as an overlay for the Nintendo Switch, that allows users to set custom FPS for Switch retail games.

The app was released around a week or so ago with its initial 1.0.0 release, and today the overlay application has been updated to version 1.1.0. This app requires the use of other two homebrew apps, NX-FPS (on its 1.1 version) and SaltyNX (on its 0.5.1 version). A repository called FPSLocker-Warehouse has also been created to store YAML files that FPSLocker uses, as well as store information about 30FPS games, as well as including information about how to update patches for 30+ fps hacks. masagrator added patches for 3 specific titles from the get-go, these being Xenoblade Chronicles 3, The Witcher 3, and Monster Hunter Rise, but with community effort players can gather patches for other games if they so desire.

Here's masagrator's post about the recent v1.1.0 release:

Released 1.1.0 version of FPSLocker.
To work properly it requires updating NX-FPS to 1.1 version and SaltyNX to 0.5.1 version.

Overall plugin now supports loading special LOCK patches to adjust games FPS if plugin is not enough to do the job.
FPSLocker has option to convert yaml configs to LOCK patches when game is running (to retrieve BID of game) that will be applied on next game boot.

if for some reason you would like to convert yaml to LOCK patch on PC, you can use this script:
https://github.com/masagrator/NX-FPS/blob/master/scripts/yamlToBin.py
And for reversing patch to yaml (though it will use different layout, sort keys in alphabetical order and store numbers only in decimal system - because I don't see an option to fix that somehow)
https://github.com/masagrator/NX-FPS/blob/master/scripts/binToYaml.py

Created new repo which whole purpose is to store those yaml files and info about 30 FPS games + how to update each patch yourself if you know how to use required tools:
https://github.com/masagrator/FPSLocker-Warehouse

As I suck at writing documentation I hope you will forgive my Methodology folder that it's not written with perfect English.

For starters I have added patches for 3 games that I have currently on my Switch and didn't work as expected without those patches:
- Xenoblade Chronicles 3 1.3.0 (to disable double buffer turn off Sync Wait)
- The Witcher 3 - Complete Edition 3.7 (with dynamic resolution tweaks for each FPS)
- Monster Hunter Rise 14.0.0 (added warning to DETAILS that if game will be running without patch and you will save settings with some custom FPS target, game will crash at boot. If you don't have a patch for your version of game, you can delete settings by opening FPSLocker when no game is running).

:arrow: Source
:arrow: GitHub Repository

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Why it's FPSLocker and not FPS-UN-Locker?
Because there are many "FPS Unlockers" on google, and not many "FPS Lockers" :D And this is because this tool is not targeting only "unlocking FPS", but also lowering max FPS for games that have unlocked FPS but too unstable framerate to even achieve 60 FPS within normal circumstances like Resident Evil 5 and 6.

Last edited by masagrator,

ChanseyIsTheBest

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This saves the people who make 60FPS cheats a lot of time as it patches something similar that easy uncap cheats use. Cheats can also be converted over as well it seems although I'm not sure how to go about it.

I've only found one game so far that works with the easy method that doesn't with FPSLocker so I'd strongly recommend trying it first before requesting a cheat for a game that doesn't have one. (Need to re-test with latest update)

Thanks masagrator yet again for your excellent homebrew adding on to the list of Status Monitor, the countless 60FPS game mods and translations with their plugins.

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Because there are many "FPS Unlockers" on google, and not many "FPS Lockers" :D And this is because this tool is not targeting only "unlocking FPS", but also lowering max FPS for games that have unlocked FPS but too unstable framerate to even achieve 60 FPS within normal circumstances like Resident Evil 5 and 6.
So "fps locker" is basically "lock it at 30 fps".

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Fantastic stuff but with those dependencies it becomes more and more we have to keep track of when updating FW and CFW. At least if compiling with a new Libnx version is required.

Reactions: Guacaholey

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had problems to understand, so if you please: games that flutuates between 30~60. Can I lock them to 30 for consistency? That is it?
This is the only thing I'd do. I don't want to have to worry about the frame pacing when a game is running at like 40 FPS.

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any chance this could lead to issues like crashing? Also what are some of the most prominent titles that have an improved frame rate?

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Any chance this could lead to issues like crashing?
Since this relies on code injection, everything is possible.
Also what are some of the most prominent titles that have an improved frame rate?
News lists 3 the most prominent titles. :P

So with that you can run Doom Eternal at 60fps on Switch?
I didn't test it yet, but for 99% it will require patch fixing dynamic resolution to improve performance.

Still need to overclock though, right?
Depends on game, but in most cases going from 30 FPS to 45-60 FPS require overclock for stable framerate.

PressToStart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thank you for the tool!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto