Nintendo sends DMCA notices for "syspatch-updater" homebrew app by iTotalJustice

AngryMario.jpg

Nintendo is back at it again with their latest and most well known franchise, the DMCA, and this time they went after quite a handful of GitHub repositories with their DMCA strikes.

The latest and most notable repository attacked by Nintendo's DMCA is the "sigpatch-updater" homebrew application by iTotalJustice (alongside all of its forks) just a few days ago. This isn't the first time for iTotalJustice however, since he got another DMCA takedown previously for the standalone "sipatches" repository before back in 2022. The application worked as its title implies, by basically updating the signature patches from within the Nintendo Switch console itself. This seems like yet another instance of Nintendo trying to stomp on any kind of possibility to run unsigned software on a homebrewed Nintendo Switch, be it actual homebrew applications or pirated ones. Even though the source code is down, the patcher itself seems to still be hosted in other websites, alongside other DMCA taken-down tools.

Unfortunately, "sigpatch-updater" isn't the only software hit with the latest attacks by Nintendo and its crusade against copyright-circumvention tactics, as Incognito_RCM by ScandalUK (this one still being live at the time of writing), kezplez-nx by shchmue, and another fork of Lockpick_RCM by SpaceNX have also been the target for Nintendo's DMCA, adding up to the instances of Nintendo going after homebrew projects for the Nintendo Switch, with one of the first reported being the original Lockpick_RCM, which got being taken down last year with a DMCA notice by Nintendo's lawyers, claiming the same copyright circumvention tactic.

With all of the current legal events taking place in regards to Nintendo both in regards to homebrew apps and Switch emulator Yuzu, it's most likely that they will continue to scour the internet and GitHub repositories for any kind of semblance of alleged copyright-circumvention methods, applications, or even guides to dump Switch keys of any sort. The legal clarity regarding fair and personal use when it comes to copyright-protected technological devices are still unclear to make any kind of counter-claim against their DMCA notices.

:arrow: iTotalJustice GitHub
:arrow: DMCA notice for the "sigpatch-updater" repository
:arrow: DMCA notices for Lockpick_RCM, Incognito_RCM and kezplez-nx
:arrow: "sigpatch-updater" backup at Archive.org

ELY_M

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DMCA is 100% censorship and it need to be repealed. everyone need to write to every fuckers in congress and make a case in supreme court.

Reactions: zfreeman

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DMCA is 100% censorship and it need to be repealed. everyone need to write to every fuckers in congress and make a case in supreme court.
i agree this is like a bad ruling via the suppreme court without an actual ruling left unchecked nintendo could easy stamp out emulation unopposed (and this goes beyond just video games emulation is also virtual machines if they do a cookie cutter ban on emulation it will cause havoc in the edu and cyber security departments too which relies on VM's shoot MS could follow suit and try to ban open source OS's (Linux, ReactOS etc)

Reactions: zfreeman

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Yada yada, more baseless claims. You cannot realize profits you were never going to earn in the first place. Pirates already made up their mind if they are going to buy the products, you will never force people to buy something EVER regardless if you push against with anti measures.

What are you talking about? it's not like every pirate can't afford games. If the option to obtain games for free exist then of course a lot of people will pick that option even if it's illegal and they have the money to be able to afford games themselves.
Why? Because they can, and because it's good for their wallets.

If you take away the illegal free method of obtaining games, then a lot of those pirates will buy games.
Not all pirates perhaps, but many of them, that's for damn sure..

So you are wrong, the people you are talking about, the pirates who already made up their mind and will never buy games, they exist.. But that's not all of the pirates who think like that.

You talk as if theft is great and that selling games that you and your team has been working hard on for a profit is bad?

You don't see how messed up and selfish that is?

You can't force anyone to buy something, but if you don't buy it then you should be without it. Otherwise it would be a crime right.

I'll give you an analogy...
If you sneak into a zoo to watch the animals without paying that would also be a crime even though technically they might not loose money on you being there, but hey the fact that you snuck in means that you are interested in the animals they have there, and that makes you a potential customer.

If they just let you sneak in and don't take actions agains it, then why not let everyone in for free?
They can't do that because then they wouldn't be able to feed the animals and pay the workers there..
So why should you be allowed to sneak in, what makes you special?
Same rules applies to all..

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
What are you talking about? it's not like every pirate can't afford games. If the option to obtain games for free exist then of course a lot of people will pick that option even if it's illegal and they have the money to be able to afford games themselves.
Why? Because they can, and because it's good for their wallets.

If you take away the illegal free method of obtaining games, then a lot of those pirates will buy games.
Not all pirates perhaps, but many of them, that's for damn sure..

So you are wrong, the people you are talking about, the pirates who already made up their mind and will never buy games, they exist.. But that's not all of the pirates who think like that.

You talk as if theft is great and that selling games that you and your team has been working hard on for a profit is bad?

You don't see how messed up and selfish that is?

You can't force anyone to buy something, but if you don't buy it then you should be without it. Otherwise it would be a crime right.

I'll give you an analogy...
If you sneak into a zoo to watch the animals without paying that would also be a crime even though technically they might not loose money on you being there, but hey the fact that you snuck in means that you are interested in the animals they have there, and that makes you a potential customer.

If they just let you sneak in and don't take actions agains it, then why not let everyone in for free?
They can't do that because then they wouldn't be able to feed the animals and pay the workers there..
So why should you be allowed to sneak in, what makes you special?
Same rules applies to all..
You cannot be more wrong with your analogy, you can think of piracy as someone watching a film from a neighbor's window that may peak his interest to go out to watch it.

I'll repeat what I said, what you're crying about is revenue you will never earn in the first place. It all boils down to one principle, if someone enjoys something then they will gladly pay for it granted they have the disposable income. And before you prejudice ass continue to paint me, I have a pretty large library in both PSN and Steam close to 1000 each many of which are duplicates. The ones that actually fear piracy are the lousy publishers that put out junk and expect people to consume it.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
You cannot be more wrong with your analogy, you can think of piracy as someone watching a film from a neighbor's window that may peak his interest to go out to watch it.

I'll repeat what I said, what you're crying about is revenue you will never earn in the first place. It all boils down to one principle, if someone enjoys something then they will gladly pay for it granted they have the disposable income. And before you prejudice ass continue to paint me, I have a pretty large library in both PSN and Steam close to 1000 each many of which are duplicates. The ones that actually fear piracy are the lousy publishers that put out junk and expect people to consume it.
nah, it your comparison that makes no sense, because a playing pirated game on your machine is not like watching a movie through your neighbours window, pirating a game will give you the full experience that you would get if you legally owned the game. thus removing the need for many pirates to actually go out and pay for games.

You're fighting a hopeless fight man. You can't even give a challenging argument anymore.

I have already destroyed the argument about "revenue that won't be earned in the first place".. basically, there's pirates that have money but don't buy games, however they probably would buy games if piracy wasn't an option.
I won't repeat myself more than that, read my previous posts if you need to freshen up your memory.

You think Nintendo, GameFreak, Square Enix, Naughty Dog, RockStars and many others who have raised concern about piracy only put out junk!?

Ok so what games do you play then that is not junk and also developed and published by people that are ok with piracy.
I'd be impressed if you can give me one decent example.

Sony has also been fighting back against piracy many times in the past, remember Geohot and FailOverflow back in the PS3 days for example. Or the constant cat and mouse game of releasing updates that patches security vulnerabilities only for a new exploit to be discovered.

Everyone knows that piracy is bad for the industry.
Saying otherwise is just denial, lack of education or just being an attention hog..

Last edited by DaniPoo,

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
this site IS for pirates whether you believe it or not we will pirate the shit out of nintendo and love doing it with absolutely NO moral consequences whatsoever. so
View attachment 427609

I would love to hear the site owners comment on this..
I've been a site member since way before it became this pirate lair that it is today.

It used to be a hobby site covering all sort of things (which it still does)
But because the site covered a lot of console hacking and homebrew stories it started getting a large pirate following.

I think that you are wrong in your statement that this site IS for pirates and I think the owners would agree.
If you want a place purely FOR pirates, there's plenty of other places.

tracyberge6

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Azerbaijan
I buy some of the games and I copy some of the games. Am I a hypocrite? not really but those who pirate and don't contribute kinda are.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would love to hear the site owners comment on this..
I've been a site member since way before it became this pirate lair that it is today.

But because the site covered a lot of console hacking and homebrew stories it started getting a large pirate following.

I think that you are wrong in your statement that this site IS for pirates and I think the owners would agree.
If you want a place purely FOR pirates, there's plenty of other places.
Um, this site literally started off hosting gba roms so you couldn't be more wrong.

Maximo101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never been a nintendon't fan... I bet if they could arrest individual users for mis-using their gaming platforms, they would gladly do it. Don't own a switch, although as a new user to yuzu, I see why their panties are in a bunch. It takes 95% of the games I've tried to run on the SD.
No plans to buy the 'bloodmoney' switch 2 they are promising, it will probably spy on you with a camera and microphone and brick your device if you don't use it to their satisfaction.
I wonder if there is a problem in Japan with piracy?

• Haha
Reactions: Bladexdsl

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
man Nintendo hates everything related to homebrew lol
why wouldn't they? I mean, I can easily understand them hating homebrew and hacking on Nintendo Switch. However, I do not understand at all why they would take any legal action on homebrew stuff on their now dead console, like Wii U or 3DS.

Reactions: Maximo101

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Here's GBATemp circa 2002. It used to host ROMs before it became what it is today.

Capture.PNG

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean I can't really be mad. It is primarily used for piracy. The few homebrew/applications they have targeted all loop back to piracy in one way or another. Extracting keys for emulation, an emulator, and now patches to allow pirated copies of games to run.
You can pirate stuff on Windows as well. I guess everybody should be suing Microsoft over that.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Here's GBATemp circa 2002. It used to host ROMs before it became what it is today.

View attachment 431045
oh right, that was most likely before my time or perhaps a remnant of what the site used to be. because I think around that time I got my PSP and that's probably when I joined the website and I don't remember ever knowing about those GBA roms but back then I would definitely have downloaded GBA roms from here had I known about it.

Still, my bad... However they did quit hosting the GBA roms not too long after I bet.
That makes the site piracy free for over 20 years right. Oh man.. I feel so old...

You're not even allowed to discuss were to download roms anymore.
So I would say that it seems like the site owners wan't the site to be piracy free..
Otherwise they could have put it on the dark web or hosted it in Russia or something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?