Nintendo sends DMCA notices for "syspatch-updater" homebrew app by iTotalJustice

AngryMario.jpg

Nintendo is back at it again with their latest and most well known franchise, the DMCA, and this time they went after quite a handful of GitHub repositories with their DMCA strikes.

The latest and most notable repository attacked by Nintendo's DMCA is the "sigpatch-updater" homebrew application by iTotalJustice (alongside all of its forks) just a few days ago. This isn't the first time for iTotalJustice however, since he got another DMCA takedown previously for the standalone "sipatches" repository before back in 2022. The application worked as its title implies, by basically updating the signature patches from within the Nintendo Switch console itself. This seems like yet another instance of Nintendo trying to stomp on any kind of possibility to run unsigned software on a homebrewed Nintendo Switch, be it actual homebrew applications or pirated ones. Even though the source code is down, the patcher itself seems to still be hosted in other websites, alongside other DMCA taken-down tools.

Unfortunately, "sigpatch-updater" isn't the only software hit with the latest attacks by Nintendo and its crusade against copyright-circumvention tactics, as Incognito_RCM by ScandalUK (this one still being live at the time of writing), kezplez-nx by shchmue, and another fork of Lockpick_RCM by SpaceNX have also been the target for Nintendo's DMCA, adding up to the instances of Nintendo going after homebrew projects for the Nintendo Switch, with one of the first reported being the original Lockpick_RCM, which got being taken down last year with a DMCA notice by Nintendo's lawyers, claiming the same copyright circumvention tactic.

With all of the current legal events taking place in regards to Nintendo both in regards to homebrew apps and Switch emulator Yuzu, it's most likely that they will continue to scour the internet and GitHub repositories for any kind of semblance of alleged copyright-circumvention methods, applications, or even guides to dump Switch keys of any sort. The legal clarity regarding fair and personal use when it comes to copyright-protected technological devices are still unclear to make any kind of counter-claim against their DMCA notices.

:arrow: iTotalJustice GitHub
:arrow: DMCA notice for the "sigpatch-updater" repository
:arrow: DMCA notices for Lockpick_RCM, Incognito_RCM and kezplez-nx
:arrow: "sigpatch-updater" backup at Archive.org

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't hate nintendo but I guess there is a difference here. I'm not a kid with no money. I buy some of the games and I copy some of the games. Am I a hypocrite? not really but those who pirate and don't contribute kinda are.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Why DMCA because of supposed backwards compatibility when switch games right now are being emulated?
switch sales are bottoming out they need to release some new hardware and if it's BC with the switch of course all the switch hacks are going to work right away on it and fuck with their sales once again. it's logical to take out the hacks now before they release it. when they released the wiiu all wii mods and hacks worked on it from the start they don't want this to happen again. taking down yuzu was only the first step of their master plan.

Reactions: Xzi

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
switch sales are bottoming out they need to release some new hardware and if it's BC with the switch of course all the switch hacks are going to work right away on it and fuck with their sales once again. it's logical to take out the hacks now before they release it. when they released the wiiu all wii mods and hacks worked on it from the start they don't want this to happen again. taking down yuzu was only the first step of their master plan.
Nintendo are probably gonna shit out another "limited edition" OLED Switch and the sheeple will buy it.

Hmm, spend $350-$400 on the next Switch or on the current Switch? haha

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd be surprised if Nintendo still kept using Switch by 2025 considering how old the tech is. MK1 had to be downgraded to be playable on that tablet.
Every game need to be downgraded since day one, and it seems developers are getting better at making Switch port and the downgrade less for the better developers.
Post automatically merged:

Nah I think the last straw was switch games being played on Android phones. Why DMCA because of supposed backwards compatibility when switch games right now are being emulated?
This one is only needed on real Switch

Safe to say Nintendo are gearing up to release their next piece of hardware. Will be mediocre outdated hardware just like the Switch. The next Nintendo gaming device will have worse native performance than a Switch emulator on a mid range PC running 4k 60fps.
No, no, Switch 2 is going to be light as a feather, support 8K video @120fps, load in a split second and a single charge will last for years.

Yes, Mario Kart 8 will run silky smooth @8K120fps

Finally no, it won't be CFW ready on day one if ever. The master CFW maker said never cause Nintendo Switch security has no exploitable bug. So don't buy it if you can't accept no CFW on Switch 2.

It will probably be delayed again in 2025 when Switch continue to sell like today. Some form of Switch 2 had always been ready to launch and there had been no need. As long as there is no need there will never be a Switch 2 launch.

I don't hate nintendo but I guess there is a difference here. I'm not a kid with no money. I buy some of the games and I copy some of the games. Am I a hypocrite? not really but those who pirate and don't contribute kinda are.
The good pirate. I suspect most are good pirate and bad ones are the minority. Nintendo need to take care not to turn the good ones away, who knows how much it accounts for the Nintendo fan base.

Last edited by TomSwitch,

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every game need to be downgraded since day one, and it seems developers are getting better at making Switch port and the downgrade less for the better developers.

This one is only needed on real Switch

No, no, Switch 2 is going to be light as a feather, support 8K video @120fps, load in a split second and a single charge will last for years.

Yes, Mario Kart 8 will run silky smooth @8K120fps

Finally no, it won't be CFW ready on day one if ever. The master CFW maker said never cause Nintendo Switch security has no exploitable bug. So don't buy it if you can't accept no CFW on Switch 2.

It will probably be delayed again in 2025 when Switch continue to sell like today. Some form of Switch 2 had always been ready to launch and there had been no need. As long as there is no need there will never be a Switch 2 launch.

The good pirate. I suspect most are good pirate and bad ones are the minority. Nintendo need to take care not to turn the good ones away, who knows how much it accounts for the Nintendo fan base.
idk man I mean personally I don't mind if some 13yr old can't afford the games and figured out how to get them for free but for my sake alone I feel like it's a good idea to support each franchise that I like so that possibly they will release more games.

MayorBryce

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only bad pirates are the ones who brag online that they’re a pirate and get stuff like Yuzu shut down.

Reactions: raging_chaos

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
This is mainly them fighting back against piracy and piracy focused homebrew applications.
I am not upset, nor am I surprised. It's their right to do this.

Of course the pirates here are going to scream.

Remember, it's not your right to steal. I don't care if you are poor and have 20 siblings to take care of.
Video games are not essential for survival so stop acting like it's your goddamn right to pirate..

Reactions: BlusterBong

Henx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can we please stop using Github, owned by Microsoft - an US corporation? It is getting ridiculous at this point.

List of alternatives;
https://codeberg.org/ - Germany
https://framagit.org/ - France (by Framasoft)
https://gitee.com/ - China. Good luck taking this one down. Shitendo can't do sh*t against China
https://gitflic.ru/ - Russia. Good luck with this one also

GitLab is not an alternative, since it is US based.

Last edited by Henx,
Reactions: ShadowOne333

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
This is mainly them fighting back against piracy and piracy focused homebrew applications.
I am not upset, nor am I surprised. It's their right to do this.

Of course the pirates here are going to scream.

Remember, it's not your right to steal. I don't care if you are poor and have 20 siblings to take care of.
Video games are not essential for survival so stop acting like it's your goddamn right to pirate..
I think something wrong in your thinking? If that pirate is poor then the likelihood of that person buying the game is zero, so you as a company lost nothing to begin with. Digital copies aka bits don't go through a manufacturing process you just copy/paste as many as you want to make.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
I think something wrong in your thinking? If that pirate is poor then the likelihood of that person buying the game is zero, so you as a company lost nothing to begin with. Digital copies aka bits don't go through a manufacturing process you just copy/paste as many as you want to make.
Is that an excuse for theft? That the poor person wouldn't have bought the game anyway?
Does it justify stealing?

No it doesn't..

It doesn't matter whether or not the company loose money on the pirated copy.

Piracy is still piracy. How do you control who can pirate and who can't?

If you can't control it, then it's better to just close that door.
Because believe it or not, piracy is actually very damaging for the business.

And without Nintendo there is no Mario's and no Zelda's

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Is that an excuse for theft? That the poor person wouldn't have bought the game anyway?
Does it justify stealing?

No it doesn't..

It doesn't matter whether or not the company loose money on the pirated copy.

Piracy is still piracy. How do you control who can pirate and who can't?

If you can't control it, then it's better to just close that door.
Because believe it or not, piracy is actually very damaging for the business.

And without Nintendo there is no Mario's and no Zelda's
Is that the reason why they sold over 20 million copies of TOTK in the first 6 months? Even though the game was leaked early, that doesn't sound damaging to me one bit.

Pirates are usually from those less privileged people. Despite the "damaging" effect this piracy is made to be, with no ceiling to the amount of filth these companies can make, this can be considered a small tax on these companies. So please go cry me a river.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Is that the reason why they sold over 20 million copies of TOTK in the first 6 months? Even though the game was leaked early, that doesn't sound damaging to me one bit.

Pirates are usually from those less privileged people. Despite the "damaging" effect this piracy is made to be, with no ceiling to the amount of filth these companies can make, this can be considered a small tax on these companies. So please go cry me a river.

So it's ok to pirate a game that is selling sell because they sell well anyway?
listen to yourself man...

Sure in some cases piracy might not have a huge impact comparably to what they make.
But the amount of money that they loose to piracy over all is huge.

And it's not only those less privileged.
There was a time many years ago, when I used to pirate games.

I get it, it's very convenient not having to pay for games.
It's fun being able to play anything you want.

But it's not right, I'm sure you know that

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
So it's ok to pirate a game that is selling sell because they sell well anyway?
listen to yourself man...

Sure in some cases piracy might not have a huge impact comparably to what they make.
But the amount of money that they loose to piracy over all is huge.

And it's not only those less privileged.
There was a time many years ago, when I used to pirate games.

I get it, it's very convenient not having to pay for games.
It's fun being able to play anything you want.

But it's not right, I'm sure you know that
Sorry to tell you I don't suck corporate dick, I'll leave that to you.

I would care less if this company goes down under, from the amount of shenanigans they do they well deserve to go bankrupt. Not a single tear will shed. Another company hopefully will rise up from the ashes to fulfill that void and for the better.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can we please stop using Github, owned by Microsoft - an US corporation? It is getting ridiculous at this point.

List of alternatives;
https://codeberg.org/ - Germany
https://framagit.org/ - France (by Framasoft)
https://gitee.com/ - China. Good luck taking this one down. Shitendo can't do sh*t against China
https://gitflic.ru/ - Russia. Good luck with this one also

GitLab is not an alternative, since it is US based.
Github is wonderful, better than ticktok if you ask me and will never get ban in US. Foreign own will always be expose to ban, nobody remain an allied country forever.

By the way I think the removal wasn't initiated by Microsoft. Microsoft is unlikely to yield to Nintendo, very very unlikely, Nintendo can try and they won't be able to force Microsoft to remove anything.

Last edited by TomSwitch,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto