Not open for further replies.

KennyMckormick

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But you could easily put in code to tell the card to cycle to the next game everytime you power cycle it. (aka, eject cartridge and re-insert it). I don't see why they couldn't get it to work like that. ;)

Because it's a tremendously stupid idea. The additionally incurred wear and tear on the cartridge slot....

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So is it safe to say that it its particular market, Sky3DS is a monopoly?
In a lot of ways, yes. At the moment they own the 4.5+ market and it would be great if a real competitor popped up. Let's not fool ourselves, chances are that K3DS and R5SDHC is just the same cartridge.

Honestly, I doubt a software update can change the guts of the flashcart, lol. I bet they'll release a competitior with the same stats and everything. Or release a card that can function both ways.
You would be surprised how much you can do with an FPGA. Of course it'd need some memory to store the header, buuut... who knows. :P

Reactions: Danjal and gamefan5

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
well a reseller said i could have one to review....suppose to be arriving soon enough, still cant shake the felling that its fake still.....probably due to the last "k3ds coming soon" BS....and the ripped off video's, and the weird packaging shots....meh! we'll see

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
well a reseller said i could have one to review....suppose to be arriving soon enough, still cant shake the felling that its fake still.....probably due to the last "k3ds coming soon" BS
From what I've read, the K3DS started off as a joke, then someone actually picked the name, started working on it, it was too much to handle so they got the sky3DS design, stuck that in a box and started selling it. You very well might get a cartridge soon, just don't expect all the super-duper double-cartridge magic - that just ain't happening. :rofl2:

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
From what I've read, the K3DS started off as a joke, then someone actually picked the name, started working on it, it was too much to handle so they got the sky3DS design, stuck that in a box and started selling it. You very well might get a cartridge soon, just don't expect all the super-duper double-cartridge magic - that just ain't happening. :rofl2:
yeah i know, lots of sites have got the fake specs and the "new" specs all mashed up together now, if it is legit im 99.9% sure it will just be the exact same thing as the sky3ds card

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
... Gateway 2.0 was a software update that did change functionality of the flashcart by adding multitudes of options. That's because of its FPGA chip inside the flashcart

The FPGA doesn't have memory AFAIK. Don't think storing headers would be possible, but you're right, who knows.

Kylecito

eats warnings for breakfast
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I still trust the GW team. Remember when the forums was full of drama queens claiming that GW had bailed ship, changed names and started selling a new card called "MT Card?". They've always pulled through with their promises and I'm sure sooner or later they'll find a way to run in up to 8.x. And if they don't, who cares, I've got a 4.5 and I can play everything I want. GW can keep my money, they earned it :P

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I still trust the GW team. Remember when the forums was full of drama queens claiming that GW had bailed ship, changed names and started selling a new card called "MT Card?". They've always pulled through with their promises and I'm sure sooner or later they'll find a way to run in up to 8.x. And if they don't, who cares, I've got a 4.5 and I can play everything I want. GW can keep my money, they earned it :P
At least until Nintendo changes their keys again, in which case Gateway will be helpless until the keys leak or they somehow get to them... but that's a whole different can of worms, right? :P

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Gateway must get what, daily emails in the range of the hundreds. Especially now that they hinted something about the new 3DS, and the recent new cards, I bet a fuckload of people have asked about 9.x support.

So they reply to one single person, and they choose a guy whose english is worse than randomly typing shit on google translate.

With what could very well be gateway's biggest announcement by far, they pretty much entirely give it away to a single user, privately, even going so far as specifying that it will be a card update and whatnot, before even making a dedicated preview announcement on their website.

And then there's the whole "the poster on gbatemp has one post total" thing.

Yeah, no. I'll only believe what comes out of the official website.

Reactions: MarkDarkness

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

why not, even if it is fake , why wouldn't someone want to make a dual boot card? i was hoping we would see a unified card from supercard team by now
if there is no exploit and especially if it is only possible to get 4.5+ with 1:1 then all the more reason to make a dual mode card , games manager could run in ds mode instead of using a button to change roms it could be used to change modes

There's holding aces up your sleeve and then there's shooting yourself in the balls with a shotgun. If Gateway had 9.x coming, they would announce it on their website ASAP before people start jumping ship."

but nobody is jumping ship and i am sure GW knows it too , nobody is buying sky , you can smell the desperation already with them posting ads here
there is literally no reason to opt for a sky over GW other than being able to have it work on new 3ds , if GW were smart, and i think they are, and if they had a 4.5+ exploit then they would have held on to it knowing about the new 3ds, just like smea is doing with his ,why would they want to release it and risk it being patched with new hardware on the way? scene leaks have probably forced them to change their plans like release of 2.6 cfw
anyone with an exploit would be smart to not release it before the full rollout of new 3ds to all regions and the release of at least a couple of new 3ds exclusives to test
they also probably already know that a sky clone with no limitations will be here soon , so the announcement would not surprise me if it were real

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
At least until Nintendo changes their keys again, in which case Gateway will be helpless until the keys leak or they somehow get to them?

Like the 7.X keys that were leaked by a computer hacker who took them from a guy who ripped them from GW's launcher? Yeah, I think they need another leak...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Like the 7.X keys that were leaked by a computer hacker who took them from a guy who ripped them from GW's launcher? Yeah, I think they need another leak...
They didn't magically get the keys the next day Nintendo introduced them - as far as I remember, a considerable amount of time has passed before the launcher was updated, that's what I was getting at. That, and we don't really know how Gateway got the keys in the first place, but that's a whole different matter entirely.
why not, even if it is fake , why wouldn't someone want to make a dual boot card? i was hoping we would see a unified card from supercard team by now
if there is no exploit and especially if it is only possible to get 4.5+ with 1:1 then all the more reason to make a dual mode card , games manager could run in ds mode instead of using a button to change roms it could be used to change modes

but nobody is jumping ship and i am sure GW knows it too , nobody is buying sky , you can smell the desperation already with them posting ads here
there is literally no reason to opt for a sky over GW other than being able to have it work on new 3ds , if GW were smart, and i think they are, and if they had a 4.5+ exploit then they would have held on to it knowing about the new 3ds, just like smea is doing with his ,why would they want to release it and risk it being patched with new hardware on the way? scene leaks have probably forced them to change their plans like release of 2.6 cfw
anyone with an exploit would be smart to not release it before the full rollout of new 3ds to all regions and the release of at least a couple of new 3ds exclusives to test
they also probably already know that a sky clone with no limitations will be here soon , so the announcement would not surprise me if it were real
Like I said earlier in this thread, GW and sky3DS appeal to two very different kinds of customers. GW is obviously a superior solution, but having to buy a 4.5 3DS just to use it is expensive busy work. People who just want to play a couple games may not want to go through the trouble, they may just want to grab a sky and get on with their lives. With that in mind, Gateway would want to inform the world that they have a 9.x solution in the works as well because their cartridge is cheaper and they wouldn't want their pool of future customers to shrink - it's basic marketing.

As for the unified card, yes, it's a very cool concept, but one that's difficult to execute for a variety of technical reasons. It's not exactly a matter of slapping components together randomly, it's just a lot of "stuff" in a very tiny casing - takes some design magic. :P

saito1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've e-mailed GateWay several days ago, and I got a very similiar answer:

"We are working on updating our support to the latest 9.x firmware including the
New Nintendo 3DS.
We will make an announcement when we are close to release.

We want to add: There is plenty of 4.5 firmware and below 3DS available. We
recommend people to trade their non-compatible console with a compatible one, it
is the best solution in the short term."

Hopefully they can really pull it off!

Reactions: x3braindmg

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Everybody, sell your 4.5 3ds now when it still something.
When we go to 9.0 they will all turn into regular 3ds.

dudephanith

Trophies
XP
Country
They didn't magically get the keys the next day Nintendo introduced them - as far as I remember, a considerable amount of time has passed before the launcher was updated, that's what I was getting at. That, and we don't really know how Gateway got the keys in the first place, but that's a whole different matter entirely.
Like I said earlier in this thread, GW and sky3DS appeal to two very different kinds of customers. GW is obviously a superior solution, but having to buy a 4.5 3DS just to use it is expensive busy work. People who just want to play a couple games may not want to go through the trouble, they may just want to grab a sky and get on with their lives. With that in mind, Gateway would want to inform the world that they have a 9.x solution in the works as well because their cartridge is cheaper and they wouldn't want their pool of future customers to shrink - it's basic marketing.

As for the unified card, yes, it's a very cool concept, but one that's difficult to execute for a variety of technical reasons. It's not exactly a matter of slapping components together randomly, it's just a lot of "stuff" in a very tiny casing - takes some design magic. :P

Superior or not i don know, but i think people want to buy SKY3DS because of online feature.
I own a gateway, but online feature really urge me to buy SKY3ds since ORAS will be out next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro