OP
Trophies
Website
randommeaninglesscharacters.com
XP
Country
Canada
1691461285411.png

A new 3DS SystemUpdater just was dumped by Rezrospect, and it contains a never before seen development firmware! This firmware is dated 2012/06/22 on the home menu, and looking at the DevMenu and Config version strings shows that it is 0.17.49 (r48276), or 4.2.1 as it would be displayed on retail consoles. This places it at the second oldest firmware currently dumped, as can be seen in this list.
1691461515060.png
1691461525314-png.387143

In case you've got no idea what I'm talking about, SystemUpdaters were programs used to update 3DS development units, since they could not be updated through the System Settings like retail units. These were distributed to developers through the Nintendo Developer Portal, as well as by cartridges for private builds. Each copy of the Updater contains a complete set of update CIAs for the firmware. You can decrypt and extract the CIAs, allowing them to be installed on retail units. This simply requires decrypting the SystemUpdater, extracting the "CupList" and "Contents.cnt" from romfs, running both files through CupTheCnt, then decrypting the output CIAs.

One user tested the SystemUpdater on real development hardware and it would not boot, likely due to age. This also will not normally install on a retail 3DS with CFW, though there is a way to boot just the home/test menus and dev apps. Instructions are pictured below:
1691466629732.png

Reminder that development software can be unsafe for the average users and you should only download for research and only use if you know what you are doing.
As usual with this kind of thing, you'll have to find the updater online by yourself. Probably for the best seeing the warnings above ;P

All credits go to Rezrospect, the owner and dumper of this cartridge.

Attachments

• 1691461525314.png
    1691461525314.png
    12 KB · Views: 74
Last edited by rvtr,

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
I miss the old UI of the 3ds.... It takes me back to when it was just released and I had the purple version of it. I wish that there's a way to somehow take the Miiverse button off of the newer version of the console lmfao.

Nah just kidding.

Reactions: rvtr and SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright