GreenBanana

Trophies
Website
noino.iwarp.com
XP
Country
Naito-Tanuki said:
Trolls -_-
I understand how they can sound impatient, and I'm sure they're still working on their translation, but it HAS been two months since the last progress report on the topic post. It's just a matter of professionality. They don't even need a long string of mundane posts about "Still working at it". What lots of people do is just have one recent non-automated date stamp to clock in the last time they worked, and then replace that with the latest update.

So, say you were working on, say, a custom layout theme for a large website (you know, an actual website, not a forum). At the top of the page, you could have "Progress: 50% as of 2011-07-19" and then later you could replace that text string with "Progress: 75% as of 2011-07-26". Simple, right? Let me dumb it down for you.

On your topic post, you'd have one line that says the current progress of your project and the date of when you last checked the progress. You would replace that line with more up-to-date information as time goes by. This reassures people that you're working--when you enter the real world and have a job, your employer may ask you to "clock in" much in a similar manner. It reflects an air of professionalism on yourself, which in turn can boost morale for the inspired team!
smile.gif

This way when new people come along, they'll be sated more easily to believe that the project has not been abandoned--be fair, this does happen frequently in the honorable field of rom translation! What often helps is to have some sort of a "go-between" between the translators and the end users--just think of them as the "staff" who gives your project "utility"! Multitasking isn't for everyone--some people just weren't born to be able to do something for an hour and then take a break for some rote observation and brief typing. But for those for whom that is not their cup of tea, a few modest clicks can really help things out in the long run.

Have a nice day!
smile.gif

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Or, people could just be, I don't know, patient.

By the by, the two progress tables do get updated every now and again. Look at those for progress updates.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
learn how to use the "spoiler" people

CODEFile Name Lines Translated Percentage
---------------------------------------------
txt_general 8 8 100.00%
txt_lot 8 8 100.00%
txt_unlock 20 20 100.00%
txt_chara 30 30 100.00%
txt_input 770 770 100.00%
txt_log 133 133 100.00%
txt_win 156 156 100.00%
txt_ability 246 246 100.00%
txt_menu 261 261 100.00%
txt_beast 132 132 100.00%
txt_tutorial 128 126 98.44%
txt_honor 354 346 97.74%
txt_quest 324 179 55.25%
txt_item 1544 1544 100.00%
Total 4114 3959 96.23%

Updated: 07/24/2011

CODEFile Group Lines Translated Percentage
1-15 100 100 100.00%
16-26 99 99 100.00%
27-39 103 100 97.09%
40-50 97 0 0.00%
51-67 109 0 0.00%
68-84 99 0 0.00%
85-97 99 0 0.00%
98-108 104 1 0.96%
109-122 104 0 0.00%
123-246 99 1 1.01%
247-250 124 1 0.81%
251-257 113 3 2.65%
Total 1250 299 23.92%

Updated: 06/30/2011

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GreenBanana said:
*blah blah*

Translate your own fucking game if you think it's not "professional" to keep updating. This isn't even a "professional" translation. I'm not being insulting, it's called a "fan translation". If I were you I'd keep your trap shut because you are, after all, getting this patch for free. Translating takes a while, get used to it or get out.

GreenBanana

Trophies
Website
noino.iwarp.com
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
GreenBanana said:
*blah blah*

Translate your own fucking game if you think it's not "professional" to keep updating. This isn't even a "professional" translation. I'm not being insulting, it's called a "fan translation". If I were you I'd keep your trap shut because you are, after all, getting this patch for free. Translating takes a while, get used to it or get out.
The only one being rude here is you. It's comments like yours that stymie people's efforts. They're not doing this for any reward; it's for the sole merit of their good deeds, so it would behoove you to be polite for them.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
GreenBanana said:
Guild McCommunist said:
GreenBanana said:
*blah blah*

The only one being rude here is you. It's comments like yours that stymie people's efforts. They're not doing this for any reward; it's for the sole merit of their good deeds, so it would behoove you to be polite for them.

Guild was actually directing his entire comment towards what you said, not towards the translators.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GreenBanana said:
Guild McCommunist said:
GreenBanana said:
*blah blah*

Guild may have said it in a rude manner, but he's right. Translate on your own if you're just going to insult this free fan translation for not being "professional". Don't try to make him seem like the bad guy.

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
GreenBanana made a good comment on "how to avoid trolls", he was being nice, and all you're doing is insulting him... you guys are awesome seriously xD
machomuu said:
Guild may have said it in a rude manner, but he's right. Translate on your own if you're just going to insult this free fan translation for not being "professional". Don't try to make him seem like the bad guy.

QUOTE(GreenBanana @ Jul 26 2011, 11:41 PM) I understand how they can sound impatient, and I'm sure they're still working on their translation, but it HAS been two months since the last progress report on the topic post. It's just a matter of professionality. They don't even need a long string of mundane posts about "Still working at it".

Being professional on something does not need they are paid for it, you can just take it "professionaly" because it's done with good work and talent.
Stop being idiots and insulting an innocent person who was just trying to "help" just because you think he was demanding something...

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
StorMyu said:
GreenBanana made a good comment on "how to avoid trolls", he was being nice, and all you're doing is insulting him... you guys are awesome seriously xD
machomuu said:

QUOTE(GreenBanana @ Jul 26 2011, 11:41 PM) I understand how they can sound impatient, and I'm sure they're still working on their translation, but it HAS been two months since the last progress report on the topic post. It's just a matter of professionality. They don't even need a long string of mundane posts about "Still working at it".

Being professional on something does not need they are paid for it, you can just take it "professionaly" because it's done with good work and talent.
Stop being idiots and insulting an innocent person who was just trying to "help" just because you think he was demanding something...
I don't remember insulting him at all. I take great care in how I word my posts.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I trashed all the latest posts, which should hopefully stop everyone from replying further to eventual accusations of any kind.

Lemme remind you guys me the basilar rules of a fan made translation:

1) They don't have to give you NOTHING. They're doing all this for free, and they don't have to give you updates, betas, patches or whatever. They're EVEN free to drop everything at their whim.
2) Don't ask for release dates or progress updates, to be beta tester or have a beta patch. That annoys the hell out of translators and just slows progress down.
3) Be polite when asking things and posting. ALWAYS.

If you see a post that you don't like, just report it, instead of replying to it.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
LOLOLOL GIMME FINISHED PATCH OR I REPORT U.

But in all seriousness, this looks like it's going to be a great contribution to the translation community. I know there hasn't been any progress update posts lately, but I don't care. In fact, progress updates on a translation I'm waiting for make me want the game way too much. Just keep up the good work and tell the waiting people whatever you want, whenever you want. It's not our schedule, it's yours.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

So much work has gone into this translation, it wouldn't make logical sense for us to abandon it. And I'm a logical guy. So is everyone else on the project. They put their heart and souls into working on it, and it would crush every last member on this project if we just quit, just as much as it would crush those who are anticipating playing it. We are anticipating the release of this patch just as much as you are, I can assure you.

We're secretive about what we do for at least a few reasons: [*]Even though the translation is almost finished, there's still a TON of work to be done editing and putting it into the ROM. So even if you see the translation at 100%, you would still be waiting for a while before you see a patch. We just want to minimize posts that say "it's been at 100% forever--when will the patch come out?!?"[*]We're selective about who has access to the project because we don't want a repeat of ASH. I'll be damned if that happens on my watch. [*]It's better to be silent and work behind the scenes than it is to constantly post about how "we're still working on the project, please bear with us." We'd rather pleasantly surprise you than string you along with statements that mean nothing in terms of progress. We could post "we're still working on it" every hour if we wanted but we'd have nothing to show for it. [*]As others have pointed out, this is not a "professional" translation. We have no obligation to meet any deadlines or cater to everyone's wants. We all have real lives, and just to give you an idea of mine, I'm in medical school and I attend lectures for 4 hours a day. Outside of class I study at least 12 hours a day. That's not even an exaggeration. I spend at least 16 hours on school and I have to down Red Bull energy shots just to keep up with my workload. I try to fit in time to work on the project, but my professional career (doctor) comes first. Everyone else on the project is either headed for university, already in university or already a professional with real obligations. We do this because it's something we enjoy, and we want to share it with everyone.I know most of you understand this, and it's not my intent to insult anyone's intelligence by spelling it out. So a big "thank you" to those who do understand. It makes me want to work harder on the project (though I'm already giving it all the time I can afford without sacrificing my academic performance).

One of my biggest wishes is to have a unified ROM translating community similar to anime fansubbing groups or manga scanlation groups. Until that happens, the unfortunate reality is that you'll have to wait a while until our project comes into fruition.

The game has been out for nearly 2 years--even official translations (worked on by teams of professional translators with salaries) sometimes take longer to be released, that is if they ever do get localized at all. We'll try to be better about updating the first post, but that's just not as high on our priorities as working on the project itself. I have such little free time as it is, that if I'm going to spend it on the project, I'm going to put it into the actual translation of the game. If we have extra time, we may update the first post as well. We promised you a fully-translated patch. We did not promise constant updates on what we're doing.

I just wanted to leave everyone with the message that we're still working on it and you will see an eventual release.

This post has been my 15 30-minute study break, and when I finish posting I'm logging off to go and study again. I could have spent that 30 minutes translating, but I felt this issue needed to be addressed before this thread goes to shit like a lot of other translation project threads. I'll come back whenever I get some free time, and I'll continue to do so until the translation is finished, no matter how long it takes.

trev1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Densetsu9000 said:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

So much work has gone into this translation, it wouldn't make logical sense for us to abandon it. And I'm a logical guy. So is everyone else on the project. They put their heart and souls into working on it, and it would crush every last member on this project if we just quit, just as much as it would crush those who are anticipating playing it. We are anticipating the release of this patch just as much as you are, I can assure you.

We're secretive about what we do for at least a few reasons: [*]Even though the translation is almost finished, there's still a TON of work to be done editing and putting it into the ROM. So even if you see the translation at 100%, you would still be waiting for a while before you see a patch. We just want to minimize posts that say "it's been at 100% forever--when will the patch come out?!?"[*]We're selective about who has access to the project because we don't want a repeat of ASH. I'll be damned if that happens on my watch. [*]It's better to be silent and work behind the scenes than it is to constantly post about how "we're still working on the project, please bear with us." We'd rather pleasantly surprise you than string you along with statements that mean nothing in terms of progress. We could post "we're still working on it" every hour if we wanted but we'd have nothing to show for it. [*]As others have pointed out, this is not a "professional" translation. We have no obligation to meet any deadlines or cater to everyone's wants. We all have real lives, and just to give you an idea of mine, I'm in medical school and I attend lectures for 4 hours a day. Outside of class I study at least 12 hours a day. That's not even an exaggeration. I spend at least 16 hours on school and I have to down Red Bull energy shots just to keep up with my workload. I try to fit in time to work on the project, but my professional career (doctor) comes first. Everyone else on the project is either headed for university, already in university or already a professional with real obligations. We do this because it's something we enjoy, and we want to share it with everyone.I know most of you understand this, and it's not my intent to insult anyone's intelligence by spelling it out. So a big "thank you" to those who do understand. It makes me want to work harder on the project (though I'm already giving it all the time I can afford without sacrificing my academic performance).

One of my biggest wishes is to have a unified ROM translating community similar to anime fansubbing groups or manga scanlation groups. Until that happens, the unfortunate reality is that you'll have to wait a while until our project comes into fruition.

The game has been out for nearly 2 years--even official translations (worked on by teams of professional translators with salaries) sometimes take longer to be released, that is if they ever do get localized at all. We'll try to be better about updating the first post, but that's just not as high on our priorities as working on the project itself. I have such little free time as it is, that if I'm going to spend it on the project, I'm going to put it into the actual translation of the game. If we have extra time, we may update the first post as well. We promised you a fully-translated patch. We did not promise constant updates on what we're doing.

I just wanted to leave everyone with the message that we're still working on it and you will see an eventual release.

This post has been my 15 30-minute study break, and when I finish posting I'm logging off to go and study again. I could have spent that 30 minutes translating, but I felt this issue needed to be addressed before this thread goes to shit like a lot of other translation project threads. I'll come back whenever I get some free time, and I'll continue to do so until the translation is finished, no matter how long it takes.

had to bump/repeat this post....VERY VERY well said..should be on page 1....

Anjumastu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I just joined GBAtemp only to post on here and say thank you for your work on this. This might sound generic, but it comes right from the heart of a fan and it's all sincere. Really looking forward to it. I just got my own copy of the game from Play-Asia (a few days back when there was a decent price cut on it) just to be able to play this patch legally whenever it's completed. Even if it isn't (which I understand you don't plan to give up for now, I read the above posts
tongue.gif
), that's still an awesome game, and I could just keep it for the day when I can read Japanese
tongue.gif

Anyway, just wanted to encourage you. And thanks a lot for what you do for the community.

Hakeshu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice. Its a good game and a good translation is deserved. Shame on you S-E. I wish you guys luck and a good trip on this jorney called translation. Now lets just wait some group give some love to Sigma Harmonics.
rolleyes.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I will admit that one does seem more interesting than the usual Ambernic ones, and I already liked those.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I dread the price point.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This looks like one of their premium models, so... $150 :glare:
    +1
    To me that seems reasonable.
    I mean since basically all the games are errmmm free lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean yeah sure but the specs are the same as a $50 model, it's just those pesky "quality of life" things driving up the price, like an actually working speaker, or buttons that don't melt, and stuff like that.
    +1
    I think all in my Pi 4 was well north of 200 bucks 150ish for the Pi 4 the case the fancy cooler, then like 70 for the 500GB MicroSD then like 70 for the Xbox controller. But honestly it's a nice set up I really enjoy and to me was worth every penny. (even bought more controllers for 2 or 4 player games.) hmmm have never played any 2 player games yet :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah that's what I hate about the RPi, it's supposedly $30 or something but it takes an additional $200 of accessories to actually turn it into a working something.
    yes that's the expensive part lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean sure it's flexible and stuff but so is uremum but it's fiddly.
    Yeah a lot of it I consider a hobby, using Batocera I am constantly adjusting the collection adding and removing stuff, scraping the artwork. Haven't even started on some music for the theme... Also way down the road I am considering attempting to do a WiiFlow knock off lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I want everything served on a plate plz ktnx, "work" is too much work for me.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Hmm, with that in mind, maybe a complete out-the-box solution with all the games collected, pacthed and optimized for me would be worth $150 :unsure:
    Yeah it's all choice and that's a good thing :)
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    animal crossing new leaf 11pm music
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    avatars-kKKZnC8XiW7HEUw0-KdJMsw-t1080x1080.jpg
    wokey d pronouns
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wokey d pronouns when woku walks in

"CALL ME THEY SLASH THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEM"
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :tpi::rofl2::rofl2: Right on point :rofl2::rofl2::tpi:
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    politics forum is def a place that exists
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: lol