• Replies 21,662
  • Likes 283

jamieyello

Professional Dumbass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cemu is an experimental Wii U emulator, and yes it's real! But sadly, many are going to consider it "fake" because of the fact that it's closed source. Another thing, the so-called "source code" contains only a readme.md file and nothing else.

So please... I am begging you Exzap, make Cemu open source before something unexpected happens to you. We don't want Cemu to become a dead project, and we know for sure that it's happened to many closed-source projects, so many times before. And we certainly don't want history repeating itself as it did many other emulators. This is why Github was made in the first place, to hold open source projects and to save them from becoming dead. So that they can be used in future projects. It's all about preserving data!

But if you really want to keep it closed source, that's your choice. I can't be responsible for anything that ends up happening to you ahead of time. And since Cemu is the only Wii U emulator in existence and probably always will be, we'd all be back to square one if the closed source Cemu project dies. Just saying.

...Are you seriously threatening tc? Is that what's happening here? -_-

Stop it guy.

Last edited by jamieyello,

ByteBite

Trophies
XP
Country
Seychelles
Cemu is an experimental Wii U emulator, and yes it's real! But sadly, many are going to consider it "fake" because of the fact that it's closed source.
I doubt he cares - if someone thinks it is fake then that is their own loss. He is developing it himself in his spare time. Please stop whining about it.

badger_vm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If someone is making a log for the games that work, Yoshi wooly world gets stuck in the first image (after 30 seconds crashes) , kirby and the rainbow curse makes the emulator crash and Captain toad the same.

ihateu3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt he cares - if someone thinks it is fake then that is their own loss. He is developing it himself in his spare time. Please stop whining about it.

I don't personally care if it is open source or not, that is his call.

I do however worry about it not being open source, and the legal pressures coming down on him, which will most likely be too much for one person to fight against, and then all source is lost forever. At least if it was open source, other people would know what is going on, and could continue development as it would be harder for the legal system to target thousands of people with the knowledge.

But at the end of the day, he made it, he can do as he wants with his work just like any of us can! I am not upset at all!

Reactions: LoyalZero1

Demifiend

The bored one
Trophies
XP
Country
So please... I am begging you Exzap, make Cemu open source before something unexpected happens to you.

Unexpected?, you mean, is this a threat or you're being serious with this?, sorry, is just that what you said was unsettling, could you care to elaborate that bit of information a little more?.

jamieyello

Professional Dumbass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol GBATemps

A word of advice to tc people get threats online all the time, nothing ever actually happens. Some youtubers get it daily from hundreds of people and they just stop giving a crap because the threats are always empty.

anon1631

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only came here to shout out at Margen67.

What the fuck is up with you? Just as you have the right to license your code under a free & open source license (and judging by your github profile you can't do jack shit), the emulator dev has his full right to license his under a proprietary one.
Do I think doing it is wrong? yeah. Do I think doing it is unethical? yeah. But do you see me bitching about it like a little girl who lost her lollipop? HELL NO.
The dude was unclear with his intentions, and judging by the fact that he decided to use github as his distribution platform I assumed he intends to release the source code, and so did others, so we asked. We got our answer (in a rather asshole-ish way, to be honest. WHO THE FUCK SHARES PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT ASKING FOR THE OTHER PARTICIPANTS CONSENT FIRST?), and we stopped bitching.

If you don't like the fact that this software is non-free, maybe make a small remark about it and stop using it, so the dev can get your opinion and judge by himself what to do. But when you are bitching non stop, acting like a total mother fucking asshole, all the dev does is reading your idiocy and thinking to himself "those open source / free software retards... they all act like self-entitled faggots, I did the right thing by not releasing the source code".

Don't fucking preach about it like a little bitch, don't like proprietary software? neither do I. But don't bitch about it, express your opinion (in a civil, non asshole-ish way) and move along. Stop trying to force your opinion down everybody's throat, even if you believe that it's the best and smartest opinion around. When you are expressing your opinion like a 9 y/o child, you are presenting the whole free & open source community as a bunch of retards. FUCK OFF MATE. STOP FUCKING CONTAMINATING US.

Those are my 2 cents, I don't frequent those forums, I am not going to respond here any more (I don't even remember the random password I chose during registration). Good day.

Good luck with your project, OP, hope to see you around (github) more frequently. and who knows? maybe the day will come and I'll get to use and contribute to your project, if you do decide to release your code under a free license eventually.

Peace.

ByteBite

Trophies
XP
Country
Seychelles
I do however worry about it not being open source, and the legal pressures coming down on him, which will most likely be too much for one person to fight against, and then all source is lost forever. At least if it was open source, other people would know what is going on, and could continue development as it would be harder for the legal system to target thousands of people with the knowledge.
You are assuming that he hasn't already taken the precautions to not get targeted by legal entities. It's not like he is putting his real name on this and bundling it with games.

Check out this interview from 1UP with one of the Dolphin programmers, specifically this fun quote (emphasis mine):

Despite three years of active development as an open source project, Rydgärd told me Nintendo has never contacted the group with legal threats or demands. Dolphin actually skirts the legal issues that concern most emulators--while it's entirely legal to dump your own ROM images and system BIOS files, obtaining those files online enters shady territory. Rydgärd explains:

"Unlike the UltraHLE guys (of N64 emulation fame), we've never heard from Nintendo at all. . . .The emulator itself is legal: as long as you rip games that you buy and play them with Dolphin there's nothing that's even questionable going on. Dolphin does not require the use of a BIOS file due to the 'OS' on Nintendo systems being built into each and every game."

This was written in 2011, many, many years after the emulator first appeared and also many years after it had gone open source.

Besides, if Nintendo does decide to interfere there's always the EFF.

MOOODDSSZZ plsss
No mods, no gods. Only Rapture.

Last edited by ByteBite,

LoyalZero1

Former Videogame & Movie News Super Blogger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just ONE MORE emulator I'm looking for, then I'll be happy. A VITA emulator. Then all of the games that never were localized get potential english patches. People say vita is dead and have no games. They're wrong. It's just that all of the games are mostly in japan. It's gonna be like the psp scene all over again. Vita emulation.... bring it on!

Reactions: PolarKoala

samiam144

Régulier
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dunno if this was answered already but how long was this in development for before it was released?
I initiated the project about 2 years ago, but counting away all the weeks inbetween where nothing happend the effective development time is about 6 months. Right now, I am the only developer on the project, although I had help in the past from two friends. There are plans to recruit more long-term members in the future.

ThePreserver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to share my experience with Mario Kart 8. The intro video seems to run fullspeed with the flag waiving in the background, then crashes when it attempts to go to the main menu. I have Intel HD 4600 graphics, which probably explains why the scaling is the way it is. Tested this on a 4th Gen Intel Core i5-4570 @ 3.20 GHz Haswell cpu.
1hgayyM.jpg

PanTheFaun

The Uninspired Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got Zelda Wind Waker HD to work from 9fps to over 60fps. It also has graphical issues and on certain screens my mouse and keyboard will not work at all.
bGBHsy.jpg

Last edited by PanTheFaun,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • BigOnYa
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @The Real Jdbye @SylverReZ @Xdqwerty @BigOnYa @BakerMan :creep: +3