• Replies 1,792
  • Likes 103

greenDarkness555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
......... Elaborate

So to begin I started with a Pokemon Fire Red Rom v1.0 and I patched it with these patches.
Throwback: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=285094
FireRed AGB_FIRM Save: https://filetrip.net/3ds-downloads/...ix-pack-for-pokemon-gba-games-1-0-f33538.html
Physical Special Split: http://www.mediafire.com/file/b4j6b4p1rq94l67/PhysSpecSplitFR1.6.ips
Move Affinity: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79534548/Hacks/Pokemon FireRed - Split Move Affinity Changes.ips

I progressed in the game with no problems until I got HM02 Fly. Whenever I select a town, the screen blacks out, and I'm unable to do anything.

I extracted my save with decrypt9, and then restored the battery to the rom that I built the cia from. Upon restoring, I was able to fly normally.
I'm curious to know if it's just me experiencing this issue, or if others are having the same problem.

Thank you.

Edit: Opening the town map posses the same problem.

Last edited by greenDarkness555,

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So to begin I started with a Pokemon Fire Red Rom v1.0 and I patched it with these patches.
Throwback: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=285094
FireRed AGB_FIRM Save: https://filetrip.net/3ds-downloads/...ix-pack-for-pokemon-gba-games-1-0-f33538.html
Physical Special Split: http://www.mediafire.com/file/b4j6b4p1rq94l67/PhysSpecSplitFR1.6.ips
Move Affinity: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79534548/Hacks/Pokemon FireRed - Split Move Affinity Changes.ips

I progressed in the game with no problems until I got HM02 Fly. Whenever I select a town, the screen blacks out, and I'm unable to do anything.

I extracted my save with decrypt9, and then restored the battery to the rom that I built the cia from. Upon restoring, I was able to fly normally.
I'm curious to know if it's just me experiencing this issue, or if others are having the same problem.

Thank you.

Edit: Opening the town map posses the same problem.
Thanks, i just wanted more details so i'd have more of an i dea what the problem is. Sadly, i've never heard of the issue, and have no idea how to solve it. Probably some of the patches conflicting, so maybe test them on an emulator too. If it really is the 3ds, if you have a n3ds, you can just use gpsp to emulate it.

greenDarkness555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the advice. Yeah, I've searched the internet high and low, and no one seems to have posted about this sort of problem. I don't think it's the batches, because the gba rom works fine on my computer (I've been exporting my save to it whenever I need to fly).
Unfortunately I have an Old3DS, so I don't think I'll be able to emulate.

Reactions: Giodude

Omegablu

We shall not yield to the Kingdom of Nohr!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the advice. Yeah, I've searched the internet high and low, and no one seems to have posted about this sort of problem. I don't think it's the batches, because the gba rom works fine on my computer (I've been exporting my save to it whenever I need to fly).
Unfortunately I have an Old3DS, so I don't think I'll be able to emulate.
Emulation works well on O3DS, so long as you use the cia version. I have to use it myself sometimes as Pokemon Vega doesn't work as a VC title.

Omegablu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like Vega doesn't work at all? Or has the same fly/town map error?
Do you know if Fire Red has the same fly problems?
Vega goes to a black screen after the intro movie and never gets out of it. The music keeps playing and I don't think that the system locks up either, so not really a 'crash,' but makes the game unplayable regardless. Shame it doesn't work, since Vega is such a good romhack. I think that I read somewhere that Vega fails to load on VC due to needing some aspect of an emulator. A newer BIOS perhaps?

greenDarkness555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh, that's interesting. That pseudo-crash is exactly what happens when you use fly, or open the town map.
Yeah, I looked it up, and Vega seems pretty cool. I wonder if anyone has figured out a solution for that.

Kironos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I need help. I followed the guide, while installing the patched file, I got an error. After deleting the right title from the NAND (I am sure it was the right one, I checked multiple times both the IDs), I got the very same error. What can I do?

EDIT: Whenever I try to run a GBA rom installed as .cia (in Luma3DS), both the screens turn to black and the classic "An error has occurred, Hold down the POWER button etc...". (Exactly the same error that appeared before I tried to do this. I can't really understand what I'm doing wrong.

I guess I'll have to download GBA roms and play using the mGBA HB.

Last edited by Kironos,

medoli900

Open the Benzenes;Gate
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I tried converting an old ROM hack of Pokemon Firered, but the "gift" can't be unwrapped and doesn't show anything on the top screen.
I am on N3DS with Luma + A9LH. The file of my GBA ROM is 16.384 mb if that can help.

Edit: Oh, never mind, it now works. I guess I just had to reboot the 3DS.

Last edited by medoli900,

PlatinumMaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vega goes to a black screen after the intro movie and never gets out of it. The music keeps playing and I don't think that the system locks up either, so not really a 'crash,' but makes the game unplayable regardless. Shame it doesn't work, since Vega is such a good romhack. I think that I read somewhere that Vega fails to load on VC due to needing some aspect of an emulator. A newer BIOS perhaps?
It's because the game was developed and tested using an emulator, without the original GBA BIOS. As a result, there is a certain instruction in the emulator's BIOS that's not in the real one, and the game uses it, causing it to hang when using a real BIOS. Since the AGB_FIRM uses the real BIOS, this happens to it as well.

This can probably be fixed by either substituting the BIOS in the AGB_FIRM for the emulator one, or modifying the game and changing the instruction to an equivalent one that does work with the native BIOS.

Reactions: Omegablu

Omegablu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's because the game was developed and tested using an emulator, without the original GBA BIOS. As a result, there is a certain instruction in the emulator's BIOS that's not in the real one, and the game uses it, causing it to hang when using a real BIOS. Since the AGB_FIRM uses the real BIOS, this happens to it as well.

This can probably be fixed by either substituting the BIOS in the AGB_FIRM for the emulator one, or modifying the game and changing the instruction to an equivalent one that does work with the native BIOS.
I'm no expert on 3DS software structure, but do you think that substitution would be as easy as deleting the GBA BIOS in Godmode9 and replacing it with a working BIOS?

PlatinumMaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm no expert on 3DS software structure, but do you think that substitution would be as easy as deleting the GBA BIOS in Godmode9 and replacing it with a working BIOS?
I personally wouldn't know the answer to that, but it's probably not as simple if you use Luma3DS. As far as I know, Luma3DS has a patcher that automatically patches the AGB_FIRM, and if it detects a modified copy, it does not patch it and shuts the system down. Perhaps changing the instruction would make more sense.

Omegablu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally wouldn't know the answer to that, but it's probably not as simple if you use Luma3DS. As far as I know, Luma3DS has a patcher that automatically patches the AGB_FIRM, and if it detects a modified copy, it does not patch it and shuts the system down. Perhaps changing the instruction would make more sense.
I might try it later after getting Godmode9. I'm not even sure if I'll be able to find the BIOS when I look and if I'll be able to replace it. Worth a try if it lets me play Vega though, and A9LH should save me from bricking.

Reactions: PlatinumMaster

Skitterfact

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Was it ever discovered if there was a way to inject save files from a pc emulator or something converted from them into a cia created from this?

PlatinumMaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might try it later after getting Godmode9. I'm not even sure if I'll be able to find the BIOS when I look and if I'll be able to replace it. Worth a try if it lets me play Vega though, and A9LH should save me from bricking.
There is now a patch that you can apply to Vega that will allow the game to run on the 3DS via Virtual Console. I can confirm that after using this patch, it works.

Credits to Diegoisawesome for finding out what the problem was, and fixing it.
https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9547423&postcount=301

Last edited by PlatinumMaster,

Omegablu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: PlatinumMaster

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJewzRHdH8c