Hacking Random11's Credit Card Sized amiibo cards

bopq

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@Random11

I just wanted to say thanks for posting these images. They have made for very fun projects. I thought I'd write a post about the easiest, and most professional looking method I've come up with.

The one caveat to this method is that it requires an inkjet printer that can print onto a tray, usually for printable CDs, but I've found that there are trays for credit card sized PVC cards that fit in these printers.

What is used: (Keep in mind that there are many printers that will print PVC cards, this is just the specific things I used)

These inkjet printable Ntag215 PVC cards
This printer tray
This Canon printer that I already had
The J Tray template for Photoshop found on this page

I found that sizing the credit card sized images to 97% when importing them into the PS template worked best with the amount of bleed I needed. There was also some adjustment needed to get the alignment just right for my printer.

I used the standard TagMo method to write the cards and I think they turned out great.

View attachment 86535 View attachment 86536 View attachment 86537

I don't know if it comes through in the pictures, but they're pretty glossy. They have sort of a rubbery feel on the surface which probably has something to do with the printable PVC. I don't know how they'll hold up long term, but so far they're awesome, and no cutting or laminating was required at all.

anyhow, thanks again!

Can you PM me with the archives that you used for print? PLEASE

Carefree_dude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some reason, my printable PVC NFC cards still haven't arrived, despite shipping almost a month ago. For kicks i ordered just some printable PVC cards to try it out, and this is my first attempt at printing. I think I know why i messed up and there is a white line at the side, but I don't know what the streaks going through the cards are from. It's possibly because my printer is on an unstable surface and shakes really bad while printing. Its also possible they were scratched on the way out? Also the texture of the cards feel weird, but it seems like the picture is on really well.
ESvTHAn.jpg

Carefree_dude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look what I found! A US company selling Inkjet PCV NTAG215 cards: http://brainstormidsupply.com/50-inkjet-pvc-cards-nfc-ntag215.html

Just had them email me in response to the custom order I enquired about. Already ordered some and I already have their tray so I'll see how these turn out.

The non-nfc cards I ordered were made by this company, as is the j tray i use. the cards seem to be really good quality.

I figured out why my cards have the streak lines in the middle: Apparently you're not supposed to just shove the entire J tray into the printer like you would an NES cartridge into an NES; you just put it in some and let the printer grab it.

Still need to figure out why the printing is off-center, making that line at the side. Also it looks like the printer printed on the J tray slightly for some reason.

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The non-nfc cards I ordered were made by this company, as is the j tray i use. the cards seem to be really good quality.

I figured out why my cards have the streak lines in the middle: Apparently you're not supposed to just shove the entire J tray into the printer like you would an NES cartridge into an NES; you just put it in some and let the printer grab it.

Still need to figure out why the printing is off-center, making that line at the side. Also it looks like the printer printed on the J tray slightly for some reason.
Yeah, the template may need to be aligned to your specific printer. I plan on getting it all aligned properly with some paper cut outs first.

Carefree_dude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What template is everyone using? I was just using the auto-generated PDFs from the brainstormID website. I ordered some clear ID card overlays, and am very hopeful for how they turn out.

Since I have a massive pile of these no-NFC cards, I might get just the NFC stickers to put on the backs of them. Think it would print over the sticker?

TerryG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What template is everyone using? I was just using the auto-generated PDFs from the brainstormID website. I ordered some clear ID card overlays, and am very hopeful for how they turn out.

Since I have a massive pile of these no-NFC cards, I might get just the NFC stickers to put on the backs of them. Think it would print over the sticker?

I tried a few different times to print on the sticker tags. The first time then ink pooled and left it looking not so good. The second time I used some fine sandpaper to remove the gloss from the sticker, then printed on them. They didn't turn out perfect, but they weren't horrible, either.

Carefree_dude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've finally been successful with my template and my nfc cards and protective seals arrived from brainstorm ID. The nfc chip in these cards seem to be in the center. Also the protective seal stickers are smaller than the cards. Mario has the sticker on it. It makes the card feel amazing though.
vZjxcvc.jpg

3SGiGPt.jpg

Carefree_dude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have finally perfected the amiibo cards! I've begun printing off my smash set.
What I did:
1: Get Inkjet PVC NFC cards. your best bet is from brainstorm ID
2: Get Jtray from brainstormID. make sure you have compatible printer. I use canon MX922.
3: Get photoshop template from brainstorm ID site. You'll need to fine-tune your template. Youll want the image to be slightly bigger than the cards. The printer tray isn't perfect and has play.
4: get thermal laminator. Amazon has a cheap one for 20 bucks. Mine is from Scotch. Use 2" x 3.5" laminating pouches
5: Align images into your template. Print
6: print cards. Print both sides.
7: put card in laminating pouch
8: put card through laminator.
9: write data to amiibo

Here are some of my smash cards. they turned out really good!
Yw0nKmg.jpg

Random11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have finally perfected the amiibo cards! I've begun printing off my smash set.
What I did:
2: Get Jtray from brainstormID. make sure you have compatible printer. I use canon MX922.
3: Get photoshop template from brainstorm ID site. You'll need to fine-tune your template. Youll want the image to be slightly bigger than the cards. The printer tray isn't perfect and has play.
4: get thermal laminator. Amazon has a cheap one for 20 bucks. Mine is from Scotch. Use 2" x 3.5" laminating pouches

Yw0nKmg.jpg
I'm glad you got it figured out but they arnt even my cards :'(

Last edited by Random11,
Reactions: Temptress Cerise

Gifted1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I did:

Yw0nKmg.jpg

These look beautiful! This is how I want my cards to look.

Hitokirikai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, does anyone have 2 pvc cards that they would be willing to sell? I screwed up a couple of mine and I need 2 to complete my set.

Random11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OP do you mind sharing the PSD file for the PVC cards? Im wanting to use your template but add different artwork.
@Random11 had you planed to share your credit card templates?
yes, at somepoint i will post them. I figured it would be easy for people to just convert the playing card size ones but sure ill post them if you want. Ill try and get around to in within the next couple of weeks.
@Random11 thanks again for the great work on these cards! Should we follow this thread, or CompC's for your latest resized works?
To be honest, I wasnt going to keep up the credit card sides images. Since a lot of people like them though maybe I will though. In either case I will always post them in my own threads. The only time I post in CompCs thread about my images is occasionally to remind people that these exist. Most users dont like reading through the 50+ pages of that thread but will ask about credit card sized images.

Last edited by Random11,

Bobobroski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, does anyone have 2 pvc cards that they would be willing to sell? I screwed up a couple of mine and I need 2 to complete my set.

I have two extras I can send you for free. PVC NTAG215 CR80. PM me your information and I'll send as soon as I can.

yes, at somepoint i will post them. I figured it would be easy for people to just convert the playing card size ones but sure ill post them if you want. Ill try and get around to in within the next couple of weeks.

To be honest, I wasnt going to keep up the credit card sides images. If a lot of people like them though maybe I will. In either case I will always post them in my own threads. The only time I post in CompCs thread about my images is occasionally to remind people that these exist. Most users dont like reading through the 50+ pages of that thread but will ask about credit card sized images.

I love your cards! Not only the size and format, but your designs are the best I've come across so far. I've been having a blast printing out my own collection over the past couple of days. I'm desperate to finish my Smash Bros. collection in the same exact style of cards you have here. And I'm really looking forward to your take on the Splatoon series, if that even crossed your mind. Please do keep it up. If nothing else, providing a template and style guide for each series would be tremendous. (I'd be willing to pay for something like that!)

Reactions: Hitokirikai

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: