Not open for further replies.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Nope, I think you are wrong, I believe this update means you can no longer update the firmware, hence the cut needed AFTER updating.
R4 teams "solution" is just to bring out yet another hardware revision, you may as well just buy a DStwo, because after buying 2 or more R4 cards, you might as well have just bought a DStwo in the first place, I know that's what I'll be doing when I want to update my 3DSXL.

Quick thought for hardware modders like myself who have done this sort of thing before, if you use a fiber brush and cut the line cleanly, surely you can update the chip later on by soldering the line back together briefly and updating in a DSL? then de-soldering and popping back in a 3DS? Just a thought.

the team says they have other methods,
prying for more info on the statement tho

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nope, I think you are wrong, I believe this update means you can no longer update the firmware, hence the cut needed AFTER updating.

Though I can quite happily see this being a "before we part ways" type update it could also be that the updates rewrites a bit of circuitry (the DSi/3DS capable flash cart internals are often something fairly advanced in the CPLD/FPGA/programmable chip world after all) to work without the given pin in question but cutting before updating would leave it with a pin it expects to have powered/signalled in open circuit failure.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

Pong20302000

Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Though I can quite happily see this being a "before we part ways" type update it could also be that the updates rewrites a bit of circuitry (the DSi/3DS capable flash cart internals are often something fairly advanced in the CPLD/FPGA/programmable chip world after all) to work without the given pin in question but cutting before updating would leave it with a pin it expects to have powered/signalled in open circuit failure.

they must have a new way to update
Our new R4i Gold 3DS card support 3DS 6.0.0-X directly without patch updating since today !(2013-06-25)

would take more than a day to already be shipping out a new hardware revision

Schaapje82

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Our new R4i Gold 3DS card support 3DS 6.0.0-X directly without patch updating since today !(2013-06-25)

Too bad they did not have this one two weeks ago when I ordered mine... :(

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
It (and the DSi XL which has the same problem with updates) offer a much bigger screen than a regular DS or DS Lite.
Yes people prefer the XL versions, but the DSi does not have the same problem. No DS game or DSi game will require an update before being run, updates are not downloaded automatically, etc.

I don't see why.
So that they wouldn't have to open up their cart and manually edit the traces on the PCB to update.

Fucking Duh™.

Reactions: Kippykip

Chris23235

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This was strange, I have a Rev.9 card and I updated it just minutes ago. First strange thing was, that, despite using an NDSL to update, I had to use the R4iGold_3DS60_Patch_NDSi_3DS.nds file, the other one always said FAIL. After updating I opened my card and it looked COMPLETELY different from the photos in the instructions. Nothing marked as C1 R9 on the whole board. So I put the cartridge together and put it in my 3DS (already updated to V6) and guess what, it works. Strange strange strange...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You don't have to do that anymore with this new release... Fucking Duh to you too.
Whether you need to cut or not depends on the hardware revision you have.

Speaking of which, older revisions (like the R4i Gold models I got for the official GBATemp review) can't get any form of this update, or any of the past couple of updates.

Pong20302000

Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
This was strange, I have a Rev.9 card and I updated it just minutes ago. First strange thing was, that, despite using an NDSL to update, I had to use the R4iGold_3DS60_Patch_NDSi_3DS.nds file, the other one always said FAIL. After updating I opened my card and it looked COMPLETELY different from the photos in the instructions. Nothing marked as C1 R9 on the whole board. So I put the cartridge together and put it in my 3DS (already updated to V6) and guess what, it works. Strange strange strange...

only RevC needed the cut
revs 9 and A didn't need the cut
so what the 3DS could detect hardware wise was not present in those revisions

Kippykip

j e f f
OP
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
I don't see why.

DSTWO is twice the price, uses more battery, and I don't need GBA or SNES emulation. I just wanted one less unit in my pocket as I go about my day collecting Streetpass entries.[/quote]
Well because with the r4i gold, you need to buy new revision cards here and there but the dstwo has lasted since it's first release
And as for the battery life, I find that the dstwo only drains faster when using it's plugin apps (Like Gba, Movie etc) it seems to last longer when playing ds roms compared to the r4i gold

Chris23235

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
only RevC needed the cut
revs 9 and A didn't need the cut
so what the 3DS could detect hardware wise was not present in those revisions

Thanks for the info, I wonder why they didn't put such information in the Readme. It sounds like you have to make the cut with every revision of the card.

Pong20302000

Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Thanks for the info, I wonder why they didn't put such information in the Readme. It sounds like you have to make the cut with every revision of the card.

the teams suffer sometimes with bad engrish

but yeah only rev C needs the cut, but from the way they worded it there not sure how much longer the 9 and A revs will last, they seemed confident the C will surpass the next one

medoli900

Open the Benzenes;Gate
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Here is the inside of my flashcard:
2wp6ko0.jpg
It doesn't look like the one in the .doc.
I don't have any R9 close to the C1.
o7ss3p.jpg
Am I doomed or is there another way to update my R4i3ds (R4ids.cn)?

D

Deleted User

"Update"? Well, that's the first 'update' I've ever heard of needing a stanley knife. Just the mention of cutting PCBs is enough to send 99% of R4 owners running to the hills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries