Hacking [PSP] La Pucelle Ragnarok Translation

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linka you always have such great timing.

I am releasing patch version 0.2.0 that has all the 12 chapters of the base story translated at about 95%. The other 5% are random things that are not in the PS2 or not translated due to a technical issue. I have also fixed a bunch of typos I have found.

Here is the English patch v0.2.0
(download)

I really could use peoples help playing through the game and reporting to me any typos you may see. I am sure I have made many.

I may have found a source for a translation of the storyline of the Dark (Mao) Prier chapters so I might start on that next since it has the storyline but no NPC translation.

Anyways if you have any questions please let me know.
-ChepChep

Reactions: Airu and Linka

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So am am now trying to tackle the START_JP.LZS issue in the Toolkit and get access to modify talk00.dat without using the Hexeditor. I can confirm that the toolkit does work for packaging the START_JP.LZS as long as you do not change any of the filesizes in the package. I can similarly edit files with the hexeditor and then repackage with the python code. With both the toolkit and the python when I try to add any file that changes in file size(even by one byte), when I repackage START_JP.LZS, I get distortions of the background images of the text boxes. My guess is that there has to be something in another file that is checking file size. I have been able to change locations of files inside the START_JP.LZS and everything still works fine.

I had no issues with SCRIPTPACK.DAT. I can make the files as big as I want without issues. I am going to go look through the eboot.bin another few times and maybe something is in there. One solution would be to just hexedit talk00.dat and replace the Japanese with english but I would be limited to the number of japanese characters.

talk00.dat has the following data in it:
- Tutorials
- Demon Overload Prier scenes from the Dark World
- Scenes with Disgaea characters
- RosenQueen and Dark World items/ item combination
- Battle flavor text for each character

Kinda frustrated with it right now. I have been trying for hours to get talk00.dat working in START_JP.dat without messing up the backgrounds.
If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please let me know.
-ChepChep

Kelebek

Trophies
XP
Country
Didn't you program the toolkit? Couldn't you just fix the bug so it recompiles properly again? You must understand the compression properly if you were able to make the python one anyway. All I can really see is that the location gets compiled back 1 byte longer than it should be. I don't understand your compression code very well though. Fixing that would make testing a lot easier and quicker.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The compression is exactly the same. The only difference between the python code and toolkit is that the toolkit does not arrange the files in the same order as the python code and thus you get different file sizes. The toolkit takes a directory and compresses the files in alphabetical order... whereas the NIS did it in some strange order. I have tried using the same order with the "larger" files (even just one byte difference) and I have issues with the backgrounds. I am pulling my hair now. I am wondering if the filesize is hard coded or checked someplace for the files in START_JP.LZS

The solution I want to try is to try to insert another talk00.dat into the ISO and redirect the system to run that file instead of the one in the START_JP.LZS. Not sure if that is going to be possible but looking into it now.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have some good news and bad news about talk00.dat.

First the bad news...
I am 100% sure that the files in START_JP.LZS are either being check for filesize or are hard coded for pointers. This check or hard coded values are not in START_JP.LZS.
I confirmed this by using the toolkit to remove 10 bytes from talk00.dat, I then opened talk00.dat in an hexeditor and added 10 bytes of 00 at the end of the file. Everything works as long as talk00.dat is exactly 78,144 byes. If I add only 9 bytes or add 11 bytes, then the garbled text backgrounds come back.

The good news is that I can I can use the toolkit to edit talk00.dat as long as I make sure the file is always 78,144 bytes. It is going to be a real pain and I hope there is some "junk" not used since it will help add padding to delete and make the file 78,144 bytes.

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have some good news and bad news about talk00.dat.

First the bad news...
I am 100% sure that the files in START_JP.LZS are either being check for filesize or are hard coded for pointers. This check or hard coded values are not in START_JP.LZS.
I confirmed this by using the toolkit to remove 10 bytes from talk00.dat, I then opened talk00.dat in an hexeditor and added 10 bytes of 00 at the end of the file. Everything works as long as talk00.dat is exactly 78,144 byes. If I add only 9 bytes or add 11 bytes, then the garbled text backgrounds come back.

The good news is that I can I can use the toolkit to edit talk00.dat as long as I make sure the file is always 78,144 bytes. It is going to be a real pain and I hope there is some "junk" not used since it will help add padding to delete and make the file 78,144 bytes.
First off, I don't have the game and I didn't read the whole thread. I just randomly checked new posts and got here. :P

Anyway, did you try looking for the value "78,144" in other files, ex. Eboot.bin etc.? Or you can try ram dumping with emulator and check for that value in the dumped file. If the game always limits the file size to a certain value, that value should be written somewhere.

Also, you mentioned you tried adding 9 or 11 bytes and things didn't work. Did you try even bytes like 8 or 10? (Some games always read things in even bytes, etc.)

(Sorry if you have tried all of this. As I said, I didn't read through the whole thread. ^_^)

Kelebek

Trophies
XP
Country
I found the issue. The file has to be aligned to 0x10 bytes. Here:

Broken:
qsrpXxy.jpg

Added 101 bytes compared to the broken version, so it's 0x10 aligned and has a bunch more space (just to show that it does work with a longer length):
eUswrSj.jpg

The further away from a 0x10 alignment you get, the more corruption there is as the files underneath talk00 are pushed those bytes out of alignment.

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kelebek,

I will try adding more bytes in 0x10 alignment and see if I can get it to work.

Update:

I just tried it and it works. Kelebek, thank you so much for your help. You have made my day. :)

-ChepChep

Reactions: Airu and Linka

marychristie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have another question. do you know any of the values for the characters / items? im using cwcheat and want to use the succubus/ demons from the start of the game.. thx for answering

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do not know any of the cwcheat values. If you would like a savefiles from anywhere in the game, PM me. I have one with level 200+ characters at the beginning of the new game +.

marychristie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i thought the cwcheat values were the same as the hex values in the game. i already have a character modify code, but for dark eclair/ overlord prier. but maybe i am wrong, not sure. i dont really know much about it. thx anyways

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so, I started a new game. I get through the tutorial stages just fine, but when I go to save afterwards, it froze for a little bit. It eventually did save (thankfully), but I figure I should say something in case it's a problem with the coding.

NiGHTSragnarok

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone tried the patch while having all the dlc? You get letters missing and all the items turn back into japanese.
I've uploaded the dlc to pspiso.

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So in a stroke of good news for me, but really it's only cause I was inattentive, I have found out that the latest version of PPSSPP has working audio in it. Hooray! Now I can enjoy the game on the same level as my physical copy.

I have to wonder, is the text that says how likely an enemy is to join your party stuck in that fabled talk00 file? I can sorta recognize what level is what anymore, but it definitely can get confusing after a bit.

Kelebek

Trophies
XP
Country
It's actually in sys6.txp, one of the textures (which is also in START_JP.LZS, along with talk00). I don't know what the official English version has these as, but if you just wanted to know for playing, this is the scale from lowest > highest:

少しこちらに興味を持っている - Has a slight interest in joining us.
仲間になるか迷っている - In two minds whether to join us or not.
仲間になりたそうだ - Seems like it wants to join us.
いやでも仲間になる気らしい - Will join whether it wants to or not.

Reactions: Linka

ChepChep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linka, I can confirm it is in sys6.txp an image file. It should not be hard to fix at some point. I tried inserting english text into the image and it works but it looks really crappy. I am going to wait to do it until someone who is a much better graphics artist can help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/0aTKKPHA