PS4 Pro announced, launches Nov 10, 2016 for $399

_91063531_ps4pro.jpg

Sony's mysterious PS4 Neo has been officially revealed as the PS4 Pro, and will be releasing this year on November 10, 2016. The console will cost $399USD/£349GBP, and will support 4K gaming and videos. Playstation VR will get a huge visual boost on the Pro, as well as older games getting "forward support" to allow them to be played in 4K resolution.

:arrow: You can see the entire conference, and GBAtemp's roundup of the event here.

brigcaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
you mean in 2 years when we have piracy ;)

I don't follow the scene, the only thing I watched is a presantation from fail0verfl0w on fw 1.76 and it wasn't related directly to piracy. Most games I want to play will be under 20€ by then, so I don't see the point of pirating them really. Also, sony's devices don't actually miss modern features like nintendo's, so homebrew isn't really relevant there.

Reactions: cearp

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It would still be nice to crack it open. Linux, Steam... those run pretty well on the oPS4. This little performance ugrade would benefit this even more... I hope for another exploit to make use of this. That would be my reason to get a PS4 Pro rather than the games or the 4K graphics.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
im not joking but i may be seriously wrong ive looked up on how many fps the eye can see and some say 40. educate me if im wrong i find this sort of stuff interesting
VR has to be 90FPS just to be interpreted by the eyes as "acceptable." Anything less and you'll get motion sickness. This obviously isn't the same as flat monitor games, but I can distinguish 30FPS from 60FPS very easily, and I don't think I have highly-advanced mutant eyes.

Reactions: Raylight

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Now where is X1 Pro?
Next year, currently codenamed Scorpio, and if it's half as ugly as this I won't be getting one of those either! :lol:

No I'll probably dip on the Pro myself ....just hide it in the darkest corner under the telly!

From what I hear 72fps seems to be the sweet spot for your eyes to detect visually, which is why higher end PC monitors use 144hz as it's a multiple of 72 and also gives extra response. Back in the days of CRT monitors etc you could look at the screen from a tight angle and see the image flashing - like on similar TVs - at <70fps, crank it up to 72 and your eyes couldn't see the refresh.. Course with LCD screens these days that's not an issue.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Do you have the source for this? That sounds interesting.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-we-built-a-pc-with-playstation-neo-gpu-tech
So yeah, 4K is impossible (except for PSN games, I'm sure PacMan UltraHD will manage 4K) and this is just marketing bullcrap.

Really sad that Sony can get away with misleading customers like that - someone should slap them with another Class Action. It seems they haven't learned anything from the Other OS fiasco.

I would be happy with 1080p full hd ultra settings 60 fps.
Sadly enough that's not possible either - the Eurogamer article clearly explains that for Ultra settings the CPU is holding it back and 1080@60fps won't be possible.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-we-built-a-pc-with-playstation-neo-gpu-tech
So yeah, 4K is impossible (except for PSN games, I'm sure PacMan UltraHD will manage 4K) and this is just marketing bullcrap.

Really sad that Sony can get away with misleading customers like that - someone should slap them with another Class Action. It seems they haven't learned anything from the Other OS fiasco.
It wouldn't be possible to mislead them if people were just a little more tech savvy and realized that entry to actual 4K gaming requires a GTX 1060, which is a $300 GPU on its own. It wouldn't even do 4K@60, but console gamers are used to 30FPS or under anyway. Total price of a console using the GTX 1060 would be $500 - $600, minimum. At least it would get them 1080p@60, as well.

Reactions: raulpica

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Sadly enough that's not possible either - the Eurogamer article clearly explains that for Ultra settings the CPU is holding it back and 1080@60fps won't be possible.
I get it, weak cpu to handle ultra. Anyways im gonna wait for xbox scorpio, there's no reason for me to change the "old" ps4 now.
Its strange that microsoft going to release it next year, maybe it can surpass the ps4 pro? I read from a rumor from somewhere on a hardware website

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I get it, weak cpu to handle ultra. Anyways im gonna wait for xbox scorpio, there's no reason for me to change the "old" ps4 now.
Its strange that microsoft going to release it next year, maybe it can surpass the ps4 pro? I read from a rumor from somewhere on a hardware website
It's all just vying for a distant second behind modern gaming PCs anyway, which are advancing at an exponential rate right now. I doubt the new Xbox revision will do anything better than 1080p@30, just like the PS4 is sticking with.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Apparently it'll do 6 TFLOPs which should be enough for true 4K. If the CPU is powerful enough, it'll also be able to do 60 fps (at least in 1080p/1440p).

That's if they stick to current console-level graphics. IF they try to match PCs, they'll still only reach 30fps in exchange for better graphics.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's all just vying for a distant second behind modern gaming PCs anyway, which are advancing at an exponential rate right now. I doubt the new Xbox revision will do anything better than 1080p@30, just like the PS4 is sticking with.
Indeed. While the Scorpio will be considerably more powerful than the PS4 Pro, neither are running in even today's latest technology.

For example, both are using Polaris-based GPUs, but running at significantly slower clock speeds than the Polaris-powered RX 480, which isn't intended to be a card for 4K gaming.

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I really dont get ppl saying ohhhh beautiful or ugly.
WHO GIVES A FUCK about form factor. Tbh idk if it was a truck.
If u want something nice go look at a painting.
Why are u looking at the console when u should be looking at your SCREEN playing them games.!!

Thats what i dont like about gaming companies they are trying to appeal to the masses trying to make it look nice and fit in stupid drawers.
Man idk if this thing was so huge i needed to put a carpet on it and hide behind a couch or something LOL. All i care about is WHAT CAN IT DO!
ULL BE IN VR ANYWAY LOL

Last edited by Chrisssj2,
Reactions: Chary

th3joker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think this system is more or less just for a proper playstation vr experience, sony has invested ALOT into R&D for its oculus,er Morpheus, er psvr. ive experienced a morpheus demo at the 2014 playstation experience and the PSVR demos at gamestops and bestbuys back in july/aug and it was neat but not impressive. ive demoed the oculus rift and it seemes way sharper and more fluid. so the fact they said ps4p will make the vr better, proves to me they realized the oPS4 hardware is too much of a bottleneck.

has there been a bundle with the ps4p+psvr+move controllers+the new playstation camera announced? for like $700~$800 yet?

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I really dont get ppl saying ohhhh beautiful or ugly.
WHO GIVES A FUCK about form factor. Tbh idk if it was a truck.
If u want something nice go look at a painting.
Why are u looking at the console when u should be looking at your SCREEN playing them games.!!

Thats what i dont like about gaming companies they are trying to appeal to the masses trying to make it look nice and fit in stupid drawers.
Man idk if this thing was so huge i needed to put a carpet on it and hide behind a couch or something LOL. All i care about is WHAT CAN IT DO!
ULL BE IN VR ANYWAY LOL
Lot of CAPS and LOLs in there son.... I take it you're still a sprog? Your consoles are in your bedroom, in your parents house? Mine are in my own house, under the living room TV, and call me a snob if you wish, but I do prefer them to be aesthetically more pleasing than the Pro (or the Slim) is...
For the record I also think the my vanilla Xbox One is f'ugly and have already preordered a replacement S (which I might add is a great looking machine) for that, relegating the original model to my youngest lads bedroom which, judging by the state he leaves it in, he gives about as many fucks about things looking nice as you do...

Different strokes man! ;)

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lot of CAPS and LOLs in there son.... I take it you're still a sprog? Your consoles are in your bedroom, in your parents house? Mine are in my own house, under the living room TV, and call me a snob if you wish, but I do prefer them to be aesthetically more pleasing than the Pro (or the Slim) is...
For the record I also think the my vanilla Xbox One is f'ugly and have already preordered a replacement S (which I might add is a great looking machine) for that, relegating the original model to my youngest lads bedroom which, judging by the state he leaves it in, he gives about as many fucks about things looking nice as you do...

Different strokes man! ;)
I have no idea what a sprog is. but seeing the rest i think u mean to say a kid. just because i use CAPS AND LOL?
Funny. Guess i just have different personality ;-)
Well it would be "nice" if they are "nice". But if u make that a factor to your gaming. You lost me, completely. You can always cover it up or something.
I understand different people like different things. But tbh, if people had gaming as their nr1 priority they wouldnt care as much.
They care much more about the actual games that are made possible because of it. In my eyes aesthetical ppl are not really gamers.
Sure there is a middleground, and this is what sony tries to find. but if I enlarge the example, the concept. aesthetical should have little pace in deciding what goes into a console. Another factor to this is price and this is related though different topic. IMO consoles can cost for me as much as 1000 Euro just like a gaming pc. Why they don't do it is because "casual" gamers which are alot of ppl won't buy it and mom with kids etc..
But true gamers are gamers who will do and spend just about anything and spend as much time in their gaming devices and games.
In games this happens aswell. I like 100 hour games. even if it takes weeks to complete just one game. I like depth.

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
So you made use of it because your system is hacked - most users are interested in how the games use the feature, and that's where the screen is not utilised correctly. If it's just used for off-tv streaming, it's a wasted opportunity.

Hmmm. I didn't read it as hacked but I suppose if he's running WiiMC he must be.

The vWii on mine is hacked too, but what it lacks due to the hardware underneath is mounting the Gamepad controls as a Classic Controller to the system. That would make Wii games and possibly GameCube ones via Nintendont totally playable off-TV. Certainly more practical than having the screen and also a controller, or the even less desirable situation of waving the Wiimote at the tiny sensor bar on the Gamepad. It's nice that they put that feature in and it impressed me but it's not the most practical.

Even item management would be nice and most games don't even do that.

Shovel Knight does!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.