PS1/2 PS2 Disk Reader Issue

shaggy1017

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. First of all I am new to the forum and completely green in this topic. So i got my old PS2 (Model:SCPH-70004) a couple of days ago and it was working fine. I was playing worms for about 3 hours. After that, the game just froze and i found that after resetting the console, the disk reader doesnt spin at all. So today i finally opened it up and tested if it's the sensors that check if the disk tray is closed. At first it worked, the CD was spinning just fine and the console started to read it. So i turned the console off, stuck some tape on the sensors and put a CD in again, but now everytime i try to fire a game up, the laser just sort of "slides up" to read the disk but nothing's happening. What may the issue be here? I feel helpless and don't know what to do now, I really dont want to get rid of the console. Thank you in advance and sorry for a long post.

Last edited by shaggy1017,

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
1st of hello. 2nd if you how to read a guide, you could mod it to play games off a harddrive.

search the net, ask questions. in no time you should have a modded PS2 ready to play games again.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello. First of all I am new to the forum and completely green in this topic. So i got my old PS2 (Model:SCPH-70004) a couple of days ago and it was working fine. I was playing worms for about 3 hours. After that, the game just froze and i found that after resetting the console, the disk reader doesnt spin at all. So today i finally opened it up and tested if it's the sensors that check if the disk tray is closed. At first it worked, the CD was spinning just fine and the console started to read it. So i turned the console off, stuck some tape on the sensors and put a CD in again, but now everytime i try to fire a game up, the laser just sort of "slides up" to read the disk but nothing's happening. What may the issue be here? I feel helpless and don't know what to do now, I really dont want to get rid of the console. Thank you in advance and sorry for a long post.
Hello. :)

Sad to hear your PlayStation 2 makes you troubles.:(

As you described,your PlayStations Laser is "maybe" at his end...

You can now try to change the Laser of the Drive and hope it works.
There are three types of Lasers:
PVR−802W
KHM−430
SPU−3170

To get sure which one is the right you have open your PlayStation and take a look at it:

KHM-430AAA_KHM-430_1.jpg pvr-802w.jpg spu-3170.jpg

As you see they have two screws for CD and DVD to adjust the Laser.
This is another option you can try,but please Note:

- MARK the starting position (to get back is you turn the screw to much)
- LITTLE steps/turns,not even a millimeter each try.

Maybe a little "turn" is enough and your Laser works for now (Please also note that the laser will not last forever).

Another solution is as @Flame mentioned to Softmod your PlayStation 2.:)

You need:

- A memory card with Free MC Boot on it.
That is maybe a Challenge.You can install this free package (please google for "FMCB noobie package" from/on an modded PlayStation 2 (if you know someone then this is no problem).
If not then sadly a solution that costs money is to buy a ready to go Memory Card on eBay/Aliexpress or Amazon.

With that you can make your PlayStation 2 ready to play Games off an USB device (not the first choice) or over SMB and Ethernet (requires an PC/Laptop).

And last you buy an used PlayStation 2 (Modell 300xx to 500xx).Thats the "FAT" models with an HDD Bay on the back.You need also an HDD Adapter (it includes also an Ethernet port).With that Equipment you can play Games from HDD (recommended) or Ethernet over SMB on PC too.

You see you have choices.:)

Good luck.:)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill