PS2 Fat with Magic 3(III) mod chip not reading disks

Crylia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello again, seems like I'm pretty unlucky with PS2's :D.

I've got this PS2 Fat that was absolutely disgusting with literal centimeters of dust and dirt. Surprisingly, it has a mod chip and works fine, except for reading disks(Tried PS1, PS2 and burned PS1 disks). I tried a different drive (known good) as the original was so filthy I had to completely rebuild it (wouldn't be surprised if the lens was shot), but no luck. It looks like it's trying its hardest to read it, as it can detect a music disk but not play any song from it.
Sadly, I have zero experience with PS2 mod chips, and I'm not even 100% sure which features it offers, as most things I found were installation guides.

The disk is btw spinning fine, the laser is also moving and working so I doubt its a drive/connection issue.

20240108_173425.jpg

20240108_173535.jpg

I would appreciate it if someone with some experience could help me diagnose this issue, worst case I'll ditch the mod chip, but TBH I would like to keep it as it's cool and probably hard to find today.

• Love
Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again, seems like I'm pretty unlucky with PS2's :D.

I've got this PS2 Fat that was absolutely disgusting with literal centimeters of dust and dirt. Surprisingly, it has a mod chip and works fine, except for reading disks(Tried PS1, PS2 and burned PS1 disks). I tried a different drive (known good) as the original was so filthy I had to completely rebuild it (wouldn't be surprised if the lens was shot), but no luck. It looks like it's trying its hardest to read it, as it can detect a music disk but not play any song from it.
Sadly, I have zero experience with PS2 mod chips, and I'm not even 100% sure which features it offers, as most things I found were installation guides.

The disk is btw spinning fine, the laser is also moving and working so I doubt its a drive/connection issue.

I would appreciate it if someone with some experience could help me diagnose this issue, worst case I'll ditch the mod chip, but TBH I would like to keep it as it's cool and probably hard to find today.
Magic III is a really old chip from back in the day, and doesn't work with every revision. They tend to be quite iffy and not as powerful with features than most modern modchips out there. I would recommend replacing that chip with a Modbo 5.

Crylia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm not intending on actually mod chipping this fat, I just wanted to get it working with the current chip, or rip it out if there is no luck. I actually got it to boot a ps2 game with the chip, I got bored and held the power switch until I saw the boot screen. Is there a manual on how to use the chip? I think it might just be user error, tho if the chip requires me to hold down the power button I might as well remove it as its more annoying than OPL and free dvd boot etc

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not intending on actually mod chipping this fat, I just wanted to get it working with the current chip, or rip it out if there is no luck.
Don't physically rip the wires out as they can damage traces on the motherboard. I would start off by adding fresh solder onto the pads and removing each wire one by one.

Is there a manual on how to use the chip? I think it might just be user error, tho if the chip requires me to hold down the power button I might as well remove it as its more annoying than OPL and free dvd boot etc
Code:
PlayStation 2 Games

Power up normally from STANDBY with RESET button. A single tap is required.

PlayStation 1 games & DVD Movies

Power up from STANDBY with RESET button held until the blue EJECT light comes on; then release RESET and the disk will boot.

NOTE 1: Turn off the PS2 (to standby) before changing Mode (PS1/PS2/DVD)
NOTE 2: To turn off the modchip. Hold reset for 3-5 seconds.

Last edited by SylverReZ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto