PS2 Fat has grey and distorted image

Crylia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've got a PS2 Fat with an two issues, the first would be in the title where it has a grey image that is slightly distorted too, I personally would suspect the video chip or the caps around it. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? My first idea was to replace all caps related to the video chip (I've looked up the schematics), then I would try to replace the video chip itself, but I fear that this issue might be a bad GPU or the BGA under it.

The other issue that I haven't looked into is that the disk drive will shot out with mach 5 the first time when the system lost power (when you unplug the AC cable). Its only for the first time and the motor won't stop running unless you power it off, push back in, then power back on.

I would appreciate any help with the first issue as its my priority, I would hate to buy a buch of caps and a new video chip(if I can find one) just to have a bad gpu.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a PS2 Fat with an two issues, the first would be in the title where it has a grey image that is slightly distorted too, I personally would suspect the video chip or the caps around it. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? My first idea was to replace all caps related to the video chip (I've looked up the schematics), then I would try to replace the video chip itself, but I fear that this issue might be a bad GPU or the BGA under it.

The other issue that I haven't looked into is that the disk drive will shot out with mach 5 the first time when the system lost power (when you unplug the AC cable). Its only for the first time and the motor won't stop running unless you power it off, push back in, then power back on.

I would appreciate any help with the first issue as its my priority, I would hate to buy a buch of caps and a new video chip(if I can find one) just to have a bad gpu.
Not saying it's exactly the same but my current ps2 originally had a distorted split image with graphical glitches when i got it over 10 years ago, all was fixed with some flux and a heat gun to the gpu. a little cleaning every now and then, use it still to this day no issues.
It probably wouldn't hurt to give it a go on a reflow of the video chip with a recap test it and if it is the same then do the gpu just to see what happens.
The 2nd issue i have no experince with unfortunately, i would look at the power board cable ribbon and connectors first though, could be some bridging.

Crylia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well I got some progress but it's really weird now. I redid all the caps around the AV port and same issue, then I reflowed the GPU and still the same issue. I almost went fuck it, the GPU must be fried or the AV decoder chip. That was when I accidentally hit reset instead of holding the power to turn it off, and it booted with the image just fine. I thought it fixed itself somehow? Or maybe the GPU was hot enough that it internally did something? But no, it seems like that the PS2 has some issue with a "cold start" and will only work when reset.

Here is a quick overview of the problem and how it works

If I start the PS2 for the first time it has the problem, it doesn't matter if it lost power or not, it will always start with the grey image and the disk drive shooting out and the motor not wanting to stop. As soon as I hit reset it works fine (except for the image, it's locked to 4:3 and the settings just stretch it/fit it to the screen).

I have zero explanation to why it only works once I reset it? First I thought maybe it's some bad caps so when it first gets power it happens and doesn't recover, but that's not the case as shutting it down gracefully via the button will bring it right back into its faulty mode.

Oh, and the disk drive doesn't read games, tho that could be the drive itself

Does anyone have any clue what this could be about?

Crylia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I revisited this PS2 and I think I'm getting closer to the problem, it can't be anything around the video chips, I think it has to be the nand or something around it because every time I turn the console off I have to set my language etc (first time setup), but when I reset it keeps the information. Another clue is that the console doesn't know its version number, it just says unknown until I reset it(where the image and disk drive works fine) then It detects its a 30004 R

If anyone has a clue which component could be fried/damaged please let me know

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say that you should consider changing ALL the capacitors. When something doesn't work on a cold boot and then is happy after some time powered up either with or without a reset, it usually means that an important cap isn't charging up immediately like it is supposed to, and once it has, things normalize. If the thing in question is an important part of the boot process, then the cold boot goes wrong, the cap would charge up a few seconds later, and a reset would allow the system to boot again with a now properly charged cap.

For that matter, have you checked that the power supply is providing correct values? Might be worth giving this a read and checking out your power supply. PS2 Fat Power Supply Repair Guide

This is just a guess on my part, but it would not be the first time I have heard of a PS2 having issues with caps that are way out of required tolerances due to age but not totally dead.

I wish you good luck getting it all straightened out.

Last edited by esmith13,

Crylia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I found the issue, and boy did I never think this could cause it. It was the fucking 3V Battery, it was dead at 0V, replaced it, and it works like factory... Honestly, how in the world would it cause that? I thought that maybe a cap was dead, and the NAND would be corrupted on first start, but the voltage was then stable enough to read it once it got reset. But anyway, glad I got it fixed in the end... stupid battery, lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub: