Issues with running burnt DVD-R?

sosaku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I have a PS2 (Slim, SCPH-90001). It has 1.93 Matrix. I downloaded UltraISO, got the necessary ISO files, and got some Sony DVD-R (Not +R) 4.7gb, 16x discs. In total, i burnt three discs, all with different ISO. One at Max speed, another one at 8x speed, and one at 4x speed. None of them work and all show "The disk could not be read" after putting them in my ps2.
My friend, who has a same model PS2 (only difference is his has a 1.99 Matrix) could run the games perfectly. I checked and we both have the same Matrix settings.
My console has no problem running CDs, or any of the old burned games i had before (bought, not burned by me, also worth mentioning they're all scratched up due to my carelessness).
When i put any of these sony discs, the console starts spinning very slowly and makes a sound like it's going to start spinning but it stops and then displays the message.
Any idea how i can fix this? I'll be glad to provide any more necessary details.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a PS2 (Slim, SCPH-90001). It has 1.93 Matrix. I downloaded UltraISO, got the necessary ISO files, and got some Sony DVD-R (Not +R) 4.7gb, 16x discs. In total, i burnt three discs, all with different ISO. One at Max speed, another one at 8x speed, and one at 4x speed. None of them work and all show "The disk could not be read" after putting them in my ps2.
Slim PS2s have an issue with the mechacon, which burns out the laser if you insert scratched or burned media. Its recommended to replace the laser, and install either the Comsoft slim fix V4 or Matrix PIC fix to preserve the lifespan of the console.

Reactions: sosaku

sosaku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Slim PS2s have an issue with the mechacon, which burns out the laser if you insert scratched or burned media. Its recommended to replace the laser, and install either the Comsoft slim fix V4 or Matrix PIC fix to preserve the lifespan of the console.
I see. So even if the console can still play scratched games or other forms of media like music CDs, it still needs a laser replacement?

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I see. So even if the console can still play scratched games or other forms of media like music CDs, it still needs a laser replacement?
If the console cannot read other discs (including burned media), then yes, replace the laser if you can before installing the fix.

sosaku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
If the console cannot read other discs (including burned media), then replace the laser if you can before installing the fix.
Luckily, it CAN read other discs. Could you please tell me more about this fix installment? How can i do it? If you have any guide i can follow it'd be great.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Luckily, it CAN read other discs. Could you please tell me more about this fix installment? How can i do it? If you have any guide i can follow it'd be great.
1713063164919.png
1713063157748.png

Matrix PIC Fix: https://github.com/MechaResearch/MechaPwn/tree/LangPwn/docs/Matrix PIC

Comsoft Slimline Fix V4: https://www.obscuregamers.com/threads/comsoft-v4-fix-confirmed.2978/post-24545.html

With that said, you need to program a 12C508A microcontroller to be exact using an appropriate programmer. The CH340A (with 3V jumper) or K150 programmers are good low-cost options.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While it's better to burn at slow speeds (2x or 4x), it might not be the reason they're not working. I'd start by verifying the burnt discs with Imgburn, if they're good it's most likely the laser. Now you can try cleaning the lens with q-tip and IPA, if it didn't help in any way you might have to replace the laser. you could also fiddle with the laser's potentiometers (there's one for dvd discs and another for cds) to adjust the Ohm values one step at a time, though it's daunting and might be a complete waste of time (if it's just dead).

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While it's better to burn at slow speeds (2x or 4x), it might not be the reason they're not working. I'd start by verifying the burnt discs with Imgburn, if they're good it's most likely the laser. Now you can try cleaning the lens with q-tip and IPA, if it didn't help in any way you might have to replace the laser. you could also fiddle with the laser's potentiometers (there's one for dvd discs and another for cds) to adjust the Ohm values one step at a time, though it's daunting and might be a complete waste of time (if it's just dead).
And I wouldn't consider using a slimline or cheap-ass burner to write your discs, as they result in bad burns. Consider investing into an ASUS or Lite-On DVD burner for a good price.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I wouldn't consider using a slimline or cheap-ass burner to write your discs, as they result in bad burns. Consider investing into an ASUS or Lite-On DVD burner for a good price.
Yep, those are the ones to go for, though they might be a bit difficult to find nowadays

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Andy didn't get any catholic toys because they wouldn't go limp when they saw him