PandaPandel

The 3DS Theme Girl!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed there is no Forum for PS2.

But I am really struggling in my life right now. My dad passed away this last winter and I have his PS2 Slim. I set out to Mod it.
Dad's Playstation 2 Slim could not read Burned DVD-R and did not read some CD's. So I decided to replace the disk drive.

Seemed super chill and easy. So I watched some tutorials. I pulled the original tray out and tried to adjust the laser.

I put it back in, and then the old disk tray would not read anymore disks. I thought I killed it. So I ordered a new drive and installed it today.
I also replaced the laser's Ribbon cable.

I do not have a multimeter on hand to check some of the connections but I could get one.

When the two sensors on the back and front of the console are pressed, the laser moves, but it moves only one direction, towards the back of the console.

The laser does not seem to light up, and the tray wont spin. even when both sensors are pressed. the only thing that happens is the laser moves one direction an increment, until it hits the back of the tray after pressing the back and front sensors.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Forgive me, I have been having a really rough time. I just want to play this Playstation again to become closer to my dad again.

Forgive me if this isn't the right forum for this, I just really need some help and I have grown to really appreciate this forum.

Edit 7/11/2024

Today I got the console to work. The First disk drive I got was actually broken. So what I ended up having to do was have another shipped out which they did for free.

I removed the solder anti static ball with a heated up peice of metal, and it worked cleanly. Installed and read the Incredibles DVD right away. No sensor issues.

Turns out the unit was dead on arrival! But the replacement drive sorted the issue out this time. And I was able to install FreeMCboot via Disk Drive :)

My Dad's PS2 now works for a long time <3

Last edited by PandaPandel,

SylverReZ

GBATemp's Lainpilled User
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But I am really struggling in my life right now. My dad passed away this last winter and I have his PS2 Slim. I set out to Mod it.
I'm sorry for your dad's loss, may he rest in piece. 🙏 🫂
Playstation 2 Slim could not read Burned DVD-R and did not read some CD's. So I decided to replace the disk drive.

Seemed super chill and easy. So I watched some tutorials. I pulled the original tray out and tried to adjust the laser.

I put it back in, and then the old disk tray would not read anymore disks. I thought I killed it. So I ordered a new drive and installed it today.
I also replaced the laser's Ribbon cable.
The laser is most likely dead. I suggest buying a spare replacement from somewhere like eBay and install a PIC fix to prevent any wear and tear from reading burnt discs. Your model must have at least a V9-V12 motherboard in order for this modification to work.

https://www.psx-place.com/threads/installing-matrix-pic-fix-for-ps2-in-2023.41308/

Forgive me if this isn't the right forum for this, I just really need some help and I have grown to really appreciate this forum.
This is the right forum, for sure. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: :tpi: