PS vita not used for a while now wont turn on

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by stepppp, Aug 12, 2016.

1. stepppp
    OP

stepppp Member

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2006
    Hi guys

Just dusted off my Vita, put it on charge and the orange light came on, its been on for an hour and half now.

Problem is when i press the power button the orange light blinks once but the screen doesn't come on, no sound etc.....

I have unscrewed the back disconnected the battery and put it back in, and the orange light is still on....but the unit itself wont power up.

I have searched and held down the button combinations, with no joy.

Any one got any ideas?

Ill leave it on charge overnight but im sure it should of powered up by now.

2. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 6, 2014
    How are you charging it? Sony went full retard with the charging. It will only charge via USB if it's on, even though USB provides enough power. So, if the unit is discharged to the point where it wont boot, it needs to be charged via the wall AC adapter.

3. K405

K405 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 21, 2009
    Netherlands
    Have had the same, even phoned Sony support, eventually it came back to life.. leave it charging and keep trying. The battery pack NiMH needs to be shocked backed to life, that's my theory.

http://www.powerstream.com/NiMH.htm

Last edited by K405, Sep 3, 2016
  4. thealgorithm

thealgorithm GBAtemp Regular

Oct 27, 2015
    There is usually protection in most of these batteries that stop charging when the battery level is below a certain threshold. Usually when the gauge is at 0% and shuts down in reality there is still around 10% battery. If the device is left off for quite some time when fully discharged, there may be issues.

Some techniques of recovering from this is to trickle charge it via USB power or connect/remove/connect remove at quick intervals.

5. Condarkness

Condarkness GBAtemp Regular

Nov 9, 2008
    United States
    Dang I didn't know that. I have a vita 1000 that needs to be charged now, or maybe I'll run into the same problem you are having.

6. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 6, 2014
    If you try charging it through a USB port (even a high amp charging port) it will not get any charge whatsoever, if it currently is discharged.

Condarkness likes this.
  7. nbvcxy206

nbvcxy206 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2006
    Had this problem recently. Just attached it to a good external power supply and after some time (maybe 12 hours) the charging process was normal again. (Tried to turn it on several times in between, though.)

8. Condarkness

Condarkness GBAtemp Regular

Nov 9, 2008
    United States
    I charged it though AC but it took over an hour for it to turn back on.

9. Surgeman

Surgeman Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2016
    United States
    If you have a tablet charger(with the usb plug) rated at 5 volts/2.0 amps or better it will full charge in 45 minutes with the sync cable.

10. PagaN

PagaN GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    Cuba
    on standby mode or playing games - fat psvita charged only 92% max, full power off charged 100%
    from ac adapter

11. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    when you leave the li-ion batteries with out charging for a while, their remaining power begins to dissipate. i had this issue when i purchased a use 1001 model from gamestop that was sitting there for a few months. left it to charge for about an hour and it worked. thats just how the batteries are made.

12. keran22

keran22 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2011
    United States
    Hi guys, apologies for the necropost, thought it would be helpful to leave some information here in case someone else has the same problem in the future.

I have a PS Vita (PCH-1003) which I hadn't used for a year and tried to charge a couple days ago. Tried everything I could think of, USB charging, trying a plug adapter, etc etc with no luck.

I have a solution! I wondered if it needed something to deliver a lot of power quickly, so pulled out my portable charger (it's an EasyAcc 10000mAh) and lo and behold, after about ten minutes the orange flashing light went solid orange, and it turned on.

Might be helpful info for anyone else who can't get their Vita to start!

13. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Just a bit to the right, or was left...
    Hold the power button for 30seconds