Hardware PS vita not used for a while now wont turn on

stepppp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys

Just dusted off my Vita, put it on charge and the orange light came on, its been on for an hour and half now.

Problem is when i press the power button the orange light blinks once but the screen doesn't come on, no sound etc.....

I have unscrewed the back disconnected the battery and put it back in, and the orange light is still on....but the unit itself wont power up.

I have searched and held down the button combinations, with no joy.

Any one got any ideas?

Ill leave it on charge overnight but im sure it should of powered up by now.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
How are you charging it? Sony went full retard with the charging. It will only charge via USB if it's on, even though USB provides enough power. So, if the unit is discharged to the point where it wont boot, it needs to be charged via the wall AC adapter.

thealgorithm

Trophies
XP
Country
There is usually protection in most of these batteries that stop charging when the battery level is below a certain threshold. Usually when the gauge is at 0% and shuts down in reality there is still around 10% battery. If the device is left off for quite some time when fully discharged, there may be issues.

Some techniques of recovering from this is to trickle charge it via USB power or connect/remove/connect remove at quick intervals.

Condarkness

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dang I didn't know that. I have a vita 1000 that needs to be charged now, or maybe I'll run into the same problem you are having.

nbvcxy206

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Had this problem recently. Just attached it to a good external power supply and after some time (maybe 12 hours) the charging process was normal again. (Tried to turn it on several times in between, though.)

Surgeman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a tablet charger(with the usb plug) rated at 5 volts/2.0 amps or better it will full charge in 45 minutes with the sync cable.

PagaN

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
on standby mode or playing games - fat psvita charged only 92% max, full power off charged 100%
from ac adapter

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when you leave the li-ion batteries with out charging for a while, their remaining power begins to dissipate. i had this issue when i purchased a use 1001 model from gamestop that was sitting there for a few months. left it to charge for about an hour and it worked. thats just how the batteries are made.

keran22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, apologies for the necropost, thought it would be helpful to leave some information here in case someone else has the same problem in the future.

I have a PS Vita (PCH-1003) which I hadn't used for a year and tried to charge a couple days ago. Tried everything I could think of, USB charging, trying a plug adapter, etc etc with no luck.

I have a solution! I wondered if it needed something to deliver a lot of power quickly, so pulled out my portable charger (it's an EasyAcc 10000mAh) and lo and behold, after about ten minutes the orange flashing light went solid orange, and it turned on.

Might be helpful info for anyone else who can't get their Vita to start!

Reactions: The_Dizzy_Vizzy

Agmmga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys I have a problem with my ps vita pch 1001 model. I can charge the ps vita with a 5v 3amp quickcharge block and the orange light appears. Left it charging overnight and when I pressed the power button nothing happened. I thought maybe the battery didn't keep a charge so I charged it again and within 5 minutes the orange light turned off. I assume the battery is charging but possibly the power button or somwthing with the mainbord is wrong. Also, the screen is cracked internally and there is an orange spot at the bottom of the screen when viewed at an angle. I should also note that the blue loght from the ps logo doesn't turn on or flash when the power button is pressed. I have opened it up and removed the battery plug for about ten minutes to see if that would do anything but it didn't.

Last edited by Agmmga,

JameGumb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
***WARNING! TECH SAVVY INFO AHEAD***
I have now had this same issue with an old school PSP and now my Vita. I can say that if you are comfortable with soldering irons, and have a bench supply (or equivalent DC power source greater than 2 amps) this info is for you!

~background info~
The way new gen batteries work is interesting. They have built in controller circuitry that reports battery serial number information, temperature, and voltage back to the CPU at boot time, and throughout the usage of the device. This is why these batteries have 3 wires, not 2. One for positive, one for negative, and one for serial communication.

If you store your device for a long enough period of time, the 10% mentioned in a previous post is not enough to power this circuitry. Essentially, the battery is so dead it cannot report vital statistics to the CPU, so the CPU won't boot, and you can't play your favorite games.

~repair info~
Ok, so grab your screwdrivers, your soldering iron (or alligator clips, whatever works for you and your situation) and take your battery apart. You need to give your base battery a *LITTLE* bit of a charge so that you can run the normal charge routine, and force your battery to report to the CPU. I'm not going to hold any hands in this procedure. If you know what you are doing (or are confident in your Google/YouTube skills) the information is out there. If you are unsure, remember that failure could mean explosion or fire.

I don't hold any liability for your mistakes. You have been warned.

Simply connect the battery itself (Past the battery's circuitry) to your supply, and charge it for no longer than 10 or 15 minutes at the battery's supplied voltages. Pros will verify with a voltmeter to make sure your battery is taking a charge.

Once this is completed, then reinstall the battery and assemble your device. Connect it to your devices OEM charger and enjoy all your handheld has to offer, after waiting an appropriate amount of time for the battery to gain a full and complete charge.

Good luck, fellow hackers.

Reactions: The_Dizzy_Vizzy

Demix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or just grab a new 4000mah and solder the negative and positive terminal totto previous battery's chip

shyney

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Im having the same problem with my psv slim that was off for a few years now. I plugged an usb charger to the psv today without turning it on and the charging light turned on to a solid orange. After a few hours it went off and I thought it was fully charged but even though it turned on it's on low battery and after plugging an usb charger now no charging light turns on at all...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: quite a tight bend on that 8pin->12pin adapter in my case, which is the worst case scenario, but...