[PPOTW] Which console generation was the best?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by T-hug, Jan 26, 2014.

?

Which console generation was the best?

1. 1st (1972-1980) Color TV Game, Magnavox, Telstar etc.

4 vote(s)
    0.5%
  2. 2nd (1976–1983) Atari 2600, Intellivision, ColecoVision etc.

10 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. 3rd (1983–1987) Commodore 64, NES, Sega Master System etc.

56 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. 4th (1987–1995) Genesis/Mega Drive, Neo-Geo, SNES etc.

288 vote(s)
    37.5%
  5. 5th (1993–2000) N64, PlayStation, Saturn etc.

141 vote(s)
    18.4%
  6. 6th (1998–2004) Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, GameCube, Xbox etc.

197 vote(s)
    25.7%
  7. 7th (2005-2011) PlayStation 3, Wii, Xbox 360 etc.

63 vote(s)
    8.2%
  8. 8th (2012–present) PlayStation 4, WiiU, XboxOne, Ouya etc.

8 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. T-hug
    OP

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    1972 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Present​

This week's poll asks; Which console generation was the best?
    This doesn't necessarily mean sales-wise or tech-wise, but just your own personal opinion!
    You can see the full list of machines from each gen here:
    :arrow:Console Generations Wiki

If you have an idea for a poll you would like to see on the portal just send me a PM with PPOTW in the title and your questions and answers for the poll.

2. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    Gen 6, there was great diversity between the consoles, support was plentiful, a shit ton of awesome gaems, Devs began getting their shit together with developing 3D gaems, PS2 and Persona 4.

It was my favorite gen tbh tbf.

Attila13, weavile001 and GameWinner like this.
  3. Dork

Dork Newbie

Gen 6 because every console had something good going for them and memorable exclusives.

Attila13 likes this.
  4. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    Have a suspicion this'll almost come down to age difference.... For me it's Gen 4, my golden era of gaming! I was in school/college/YTS (eww) at this period, obviously a memorable period in anyone's life - was also great to be able to afford games myself for the first time, which always makes them better. Plus the SNES is my all-time favourite games machine, and the Megadrive 2nd! Gen 5 coming a close 2nd, man did the PS1 have some classic titles!

NahuelDS likes this.
  5. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    Tbh, last gen was my favorite gen of all time.
    Consoles went from "Ok, so you can already play games right? Well now we are gonna change the way you play games"
    There was a lot of innovation and mixups last gen that I really enjoyed.
    And it was also the era of Polished online console gaming that got me back in touch with a lot of good friends I used to play games with side by side on the couch, and could now play online with all the time.

6. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Probably 6th gen for me.
    Persona 4, ya know.

weavile001 likes this.
  7. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Fifth Gen man, we had so many great titles.
    Where Fifth Gen had quality, Sixth Gen had quantity.

5 > 6 > 4 > 3 & 7

RodrigoDavy likes this.
  8. user64

user64 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    Canada
    Fourth Gen was my first real introduction to gaming.
    I kind of missed fifth gen...
    Sixth Gen was for me. Paper Mario TTYD was probably my favourite game from then. I also enjoyed the fact I could play SNES remakes on my GBA on the go. SP was a great system.
    Seventh Gen was also a lot of fun. The revival of platformers was great. Indie games came to be a part of my life through Minecraft. Mario kart wii and Brawl were games a played quite a bit. In addition, I preferred Galaxy to Sunshine...
    Eighth is just getting started. I only have a Wii U so far, and not too many games at that.

9. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Nov 19, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    Though I'll always have a soft spot for the SNES/Genesis era, I voted for 5th Gen. Whichever way you slice it, a generation makes or breaks on the strength of its games. And I'm still playing my favourites from Gen 5 to this day. Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy 7, Ape Escape, Lylat Wars, Pokemon Red/Gold/etc. That was when games became something more than idle fun to me, they became entire worlds to explore, with a depth I hadn't experienced up til that point. They became more like leading a second life than a quick arcade style blast for ten minutes when bored. While there have been games before and after that have achieved this, 5th gen was when it first became apparent to me that gaming could truly be an art form. Notably the death of Aerith (don't tell me I need spoiler tags for that, surely everyone knows by now) for being the first time the death of a character actually meant something to me.

TemplarGR likes this.
  10. Thomas83Lin

Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

Jul 22, 2009
    United States
    Toss up between gen 4 and 5 for me, But nothing tops the good old Genesis and Snes

11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    There are memorable things in each.... but damned if I would want to go back to them today.

Life is only getting better.

12. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    my thoughts here

13. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    It's kind of hard to offer any objective answer here since a person's choice is going to be pretty colored by nostalgia.

That being said, Generation 6. The Playstation 2 single-handedly carried that gen and it was glorious.

14. weavile001

weavile001 Spiritmaster

Jun 10, 2012
    Brazil
    somewhere
    6th Gen. because: Persona 4!.

15. TemplarGR

TemplarGR Gaming expert

Sep 2, 2011
    Greece
    I have been a gamer since Gen 3, and while i think every gen had its pros and cons, i chose gen5 as my favourite.

Generation 5 in my opinion was the best generation in terms of innovation and taking risks. Many companies tried to produce a console, introduce 3d graphics, gameplay styles, franchices etc. It was the gen when gaming became "serious" and not something for the kids.

Most if not all current genres took shape in gen 5. FPSs, 3d platforms, cinematic rpgs, survival horrors, stealth games, mmorgps, fighting games, cinematic adventures, RTSs, music games, you name it, it started then... Later generations improved those genres and added or mixed some more, but the biggest change and innovation was with gen 5...

And even with hardware, there were big innovations then. From the analog stick to the failed Virtual Boy, this gen was anything but boring...

Although when playing those games today, you may find them lacking compared to modern games, you cannot underestimate gen 5's importance for gaming...

T-hug and CompassNorth like this.
  16. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Man...I had a hard time choosing between Gen 6 and Gen 5. I have more fond memories of Gen 6, but Gen 5 was when I really started "gaming" as a child, so I have more attachment to the games from that generation, but I had the most fun with my PS2/GC/Xbox.

17. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Regarding exclusives, I actually dislike the concept.

Assuming the ideas of certain games then became codified as "genres", and I can see it for that period in time, that is a good thing? Personally I have had a great time now the idea of genre is starting to collapse, and had a lousy time leading up to it, and people are mixing and mashing things together all over the shop.

and to finish... gen 5 would then seem to be the PS1, N64 and the like. Early console 3d, PC stuff was almost doing something OK, can go rot.

18. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    All glory to the 6th Generation.

19. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Some VERY interesting points. :)

And you're right. At first, I was going to vote for 4th generation because of the plethora of 2D quality titles. But until that point, it was mostly an evolution. The fifth generation revolutionized gaming in the literal sense of the world. As such, it was indeed the most important one for gaming, save perhaps the third one (the recovery of the video game crash).

Your last point is also interesting. I actually disliked this period in consoles, as it seemed as if every developer went 3D no matter what (even games like bloody tetris), and in that regard PC's were much better (this happened to also be the golden age of FPS'es on pc). But on hindsight...it certainly was the best generation, IMO. :)

20. FouadtjuhMaster

FouadtjuhMaster Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2012
    Macau
    Segangan
    So I haven't really participated into the 8th generation, but I remember having a lot of fun playing GTA SA and Fable on my old Xbox and PS2. As I grew older, I still enjoy those moments more that I do now (= 7th generation)

Graphics / CPU etc. don't really mean much to me, as it is the gameplay that is important to me...
    Therefore, I am voting for the 6th generation.

21. RodrigoDavy

RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 9, 2011
    Brazil
    For me it would be the 4th followed closely by the 5th, mainly because of quantity and quality of titles.

6th generation is completely overrated btw

TemplarGR and NahuelDS like this.