[PPOTW] Do you keep, trade, or sell your games?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by T-hug, Oct 7, 2013.

?

Do you keep, trade, or sell your games?

1. Keep forever

336 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. Trade for the next game I want

36 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. Sell for cash

61 vote(s)
    13.2%
  4. Other (please specify)

29 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. T-hug
    OP

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England

2. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Trade, cause all games worth $25 if used and $50 if new here.

3. T-hug
    OP

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    I used to keep them all years ago but now I only keep rare and collector's editions that I think will be worth a lot of cash for when my son is my age.
    I very rarely buy on release day now and if I do, I finish a game quickly and ebay it usually getting back most of money, or sometimes a bit more towards the next game.
    Doing this, one full price retail release day game becomes 6 or 7 games via buying and selling on ebay!

calmwaters likes this.
  4. ßleck

ßleck Console Peasant

Jun 4, 2013
    Netherlands
    I don't know. Help.
    I just keep all my games... I can't throw them away. They become like family to me. :(

5. EyeZ

EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

Dec 4, 2009
    No voting option for me as i do both depending on the game.

If it's a game i really enjoyed playing then i'll keep, otherwise i'll either give away or sell/ part exchange.

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I recall a similar thread but hey.

Post my being about 14 I usually keep all my games unless I trade/give them to a friend, having younger siblings means games tend to evaporate at a rate faster that physics might dictate.

I will quite happily buy from those wishing to trade or sell their games though and will frequent shops that do this. As some others seem to find it odd I have no issues with buying from said shops as a gift either.

7. Gabbynaruto

Gabbynaruto GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2010
    Romania
    Outer Space
    Keep. Selling a game feels like losing a family member to me. Plus, they look good on the shelf. And, I like to have them and install them when I want to play rather than wait days for them to download...

8. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    I usually keep my games, I know that in the future I'll want to play again all of my games. the only games I could trade/sell would be old versions of upgraded games, like sports games(that I don't like anyway) and fighting games(I'm looking at you Street Fighter and Ark System Works) just to buy the upgraded version.

9. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Nov 19, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    Depends on the game and my needs at the time. I have two categories of games on my shelf. There's one section for games that flat out aren't going anywhere ever if I have anything to say about it, the elite titles that I will replay many times and I would deem my collection incomplete without. Then there's the trade-in pile of games I've either finished or gotten bored of, these are available to trade in towards other projects or to sell for cash if the need arises. Most of the time time I manage to keep my budget balanced and so they are traded in at their higher value for new games, but whenever something unexpected like the water bill I got the other day being much higher than anticipated occurs, they're generally sold for cash instead. I'll only ever trade games from the Elites group in if 1) my need is truly dire, as in rent won't be paid unless I do or there's no food left, or 2) A superior version is available that makes the current model obsolete.

10. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    It, like my choice in diapers, depends.

Some games are worth keeping, and some games just aren't. If you're not going to play the game again and have no real attachment to it, might as well get all the value back that you can.

11. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Most of mine are digital, the ones I buy physically tend to be special now. So i keep them.

12. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    It really depends if I know that I'll be able to get the game easily down the road. So games like New Super Mario Bros. U and Pikmin 3 that I traded in, I know I can get easily again years from now (if thats how long it takes).

But games like The Last of Us, or perhaps even GTA5, might not be so easy.

13. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Kept them until about 2 years ago, now I trade them online for other games. Just traded birth by sleep for arkham city and street fighter x tekken

14. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Nov 15, 2009
    Brazil
    My home
    I keep them ...but sometimes I give them to some friends...

15. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    ////

Last edited by Vipera, Nov 14, 2015
    T-hug likes this.
  16. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    I don't get rid of my games. I bought them; they're mine. But I do have two exceptions: the first one was when I traded 5 games to GS so I could get Thor (which I loved). I only paid $3 for the brand new game. The second one was when I traded in my copy of the Green Lantern game for Captain America. That was a fucking mistake. That's my experience with trading: not fun.

17. Xarsah16

Xarsah16 GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot

Oct 6, 2007
    Hyrule
    Mostly I keep my games, but I do occasionally sell the ones I really don't like for credit. It's probably been a year since I last sold a game, lol.

18. YayMii

YayMii hi

Jun 24, 2009
    Canada
    that place
    The only game that I've ever tried to trade in was Oblivion, only because I was planning to buy Oblivion GOTY. And EB Games told me they'd have to charge me $1 if they were to accept it, so I was pretty much forced to keep it. Other than that, I have never traded in nor sold any of my games.

19. Ethevion

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    I usually keep my games since I don't really need the money. The only game I sold was D3 because I really didn't like it. Games I don't like I usually give away. The ones that I find decent or better make great dust collectors.

20. ipwndeveloper

ipwndeveloper GBAtemp Regular

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    San Fransisco, CA
    It is different per games, however I prefer Physical media and keep forever if the game is good enough. However in most cases trade it or give it to a friend.