• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

[POLL] U.S. Presidential Election 2016

Whom will/would you vote for?

• Laurence Kotlikoff (Independent)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tom Hoefling (America's Party)

• Mike Maturen (American Solidarity Party)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm English and therefore this vote doesn;t concern me. But I'd like Hillary to win simply so the feminists can shut up about patriarchy for five fucking minutes.

Reactions: sarkwalvein

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm English and therefore this vote doesn;t concern me. But I'd like Hillary to win simply so the feminists can shut up about patriarchy for five fucking minutes.
Unfortunately, any disagreement with Hillary will result in those who disagree being sexist. If Hillary is elected, expect the patriarchy exclamations to increase 50 fold.

I don't let silly people influence me one way or the other, but I do try and anticipate their reactions.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Unfortunately, any disagreement with Hillary will result in those who disagree being sexist. If Hillary is elected, expect the patriarchy exclamations to increase 50 fold.

I don't let silly people influence me one way or the other, but I do try and anticipate their reactions.

That's the thing with modern feminism. If you disagree with a woman at any point, you're sexist. If you agree with everything a woman says, she's a Mary Sue and doesn't represent anyone. It's a Kobayashi Maru scenario, only with psychotic attention-seeking whiners instead of Klingons. Personally I'd rather deal with Klingons. At least when push comes to shove you can Bat'leth them in the head.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the thing with modern feminism. If you disagree with a woman at any point, you're sexist. If you agree with everything a woman says, she's a Mary Sue and doesn't represent anyone. It's a Kobayashi Maru scenario, only with psychotic attention-seeking whiners instead of Klingons. Personally I'd rather deal with Klingons. At least when push comes to shove you can Bat'leth them in the head.
Indeed. Klingons have a code of ethics and morals. Even more solid than humans. It's just theirs is a bit more...violent. You can trust a klingon to act a certain way and trust they do it based on their morals for the most part. They at least have respect.

I'd say they're more like the cardassians. Their code of ethics and morals basically boils down to "we protect our own through any means we have available to us, screw those who don't protect our own, and screw everyone else".

To bring it back to the conversation, this election cycle feels like a kobayashi maru scenario. Also, I hope any new star trek games aren't as terrible as the last one I played (that one tie-in of the first reboot).

Last edited by osaka35,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you possibly give a "dumbed-down" summary of what you're getting at here? Because I think I agree with you, but I'm not sure lol.

The old new thing with "internet" instead of "computer" instead of "atomic" instead of "steam engine" instead of "horses" etc. Same with Technopoly (which sounds like a variation of Technological Determinism (some googling finally let me found an [old] term for it)). The criticism part of that is a much more thorough discussion of long-term analysis of such predictions. Of course, I'll grant that part of the reason we don't see a horrible state of affairs is precisely that people were making dire predictions and people, often through government, instituted rules or processes to avoid them. *shrug*

@XDel - Perhaps you take it the wrong way in which I (or others) speak of the past, but it is a healthy reflection of undue projection of the future through examples in the past which demonstrate that the present isn't as all bad as one would take it. Certainly, there's room for improvement but the compare and constrast of it just tends to point out the negatives because positives are a pretty prevalent thing throughout time and we hope to be the norm, not the exception. So just as history focuses on the non-ordinary, so news focuses on the new.

@osaka35 - Vote for Hillary or not based on what you believe. To be swayed by feminists, feminism, anti-feminism, anti-feminists, or unicorns really misses the boat and I personally won't hold it against you. Which, honestly, shouldn't matter to you any more than what anyone else thinks. :)

PS - Klingons in theory have a strict code of ethics and honor but their leaders, of a society where might makes right, doesn't follow through--nor do most of their underlings, it seems. Cardassians are quite similar in practice (honor family and state/empire), except more prone to act through plots than direct conflict. Both are heavily driven by personal ambition and warp their perception of their actions as if it follows their underlying code, just like all people. That's my general take of it, anyways.

dauphin327

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I still don't know why Americans think the poll's aren't being manipulated. The votes are being done electronically and can be modified as they see fit.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Whenever
I still don't know why Americans think the poll's aren't being manipulated. The votes are being done electronically and can be modified as they see fit.
There are many cryptographic measures for this not to happen. You buy with your credit card using electronic systems and (unless you're very careless) you don't end up paying for things you didn't buy.
Anyway...
latest

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
>Implying that paper voting is free from fraud

At least electronic votes are protected with digital signatures, are unique and can be easily checked against databases - it takes seconds. Meanwhile, paper polling cards can be easily printed and forged, and double-checking a pile of them takes hundreds of man-hours. It's funny how every voting season The Walking Dead rise from their graves to do their civic duty and vote on paper polling cards despite being dead for a decade or two.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vote for Hillary or not based on what you believe. To be swayed by feminists, feminism, anti-feminism, anti-feminists, or unicorns really misses the boat and I personally won't hold it against you.
Luckily, I've said that I'm not swayed by silly people, I just try and stay aware of their probable actions. I'll vote for her or not vote for her depending on how I feel she'll be as president.

I'm just not looking forward to all the silly people if she is elected.

PS - Klingons in theory have a strict code of ethics and honor but their leaders, of a society where might makes right, doesn't follow through--nor do most of their underlings, it seems. Cardassians are quite similar in practice (honor family and state/empire), except more prone to act through plots than direct conflict. Both are heavily driven by personal ambition and warp their perception of their actions as if it follows their underlying code, just like all people. That's my general take of it, anyways.

I suppose it depends on which part of star trek you're pulling from. I tend to pull from the later star trek: The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine. Their klingons, at least the ones that aren't gawron or impertinent youths, seem to hold honor above all else and that dictates their morals and actions. This extends to other species as much as their own. Though it's not easy to earn their respect, once you have it you have it.

Cardassians seem to place loyalty to their in-group as most important, no matter who they have to betray, manipulate, or betray to get it done. There are a few friendly cardassians that have extended their in-group to include other species, but these appear to be rare. Similar to the romulans, perhaps.

But yeah :P there are people like all of this, which is what's great about scifi. You can create an alien species out any way of thinking, and critique it without stepping on people's toes. I love it.

dauphin327

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
>Implying that paper voting is free from fraud

At least electronic votes are protected with electronic signatures and can be easily checked against databases - it takes seconds. Meanwhile, paper polling cards can be easily printed and forged, and double-checking a pile of them takes hundreds of man-hours. It's funny how every voting season The Walking Dead rise from their graves to do their civic duty and vote on paper polling cards despite being dead for a decade or two.

But in real life, in the us government nothing is secure. See OPM. Anyways pointless talk, I don't want to spend more time talking about us politics.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
But in real life, in the us government nothing is secure. See OPM.
Conspiracy theory. If you actually believe that's the case, you have no reason to trust one method more than the other. Paper polling cards can be altered with nothing more than a pencil, or can "go missing" in a shredder, it takes zero effort, digital votes at least leave a trail.

D

Deleted User

IDK who I'd vote for; the site says I'd vote for Hillary but her flip-flop attitude could be used to protect my feet from sand at the beach..

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Conspiracy theory. You have no reason to trust one method more than the other in that case. Paper polling cards can be altered with nothing more than a pencil, or can "go missing" in a shredder, it takes zero effort, digital votes at least leave a trail.
Packet manipulation from an ISP, MITMing, TCP resets; the vote could never occur.

dauphin327

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Conspiracy theory. You have no reason to trust one method more than the other in that case. Paper polling cards can be altered with nothing more than a pencil, or can "go missing" in a shredder, it takes zero effort, digital votes at least leave a trail.
Yes, you are right about the paper cards.

D

Deleted User

Oh, I even forgot to mention that a BIG company with scary money could get a CA to sign a cert, get the ISPs to swap DNS to them, MITM traffic, and then vote for whoever using the data they collected.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The vote literally requires a handshake from both sides and has a unique signature, it can be tracked from the polling station to the main server and its delivery is confirmed on the spot. If you think it's any less secure than shitty pieces of paper that I can sign with a name of whatever dead relative I want and just shove into the box when nobody's looking, you're being ridiculous.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The vote literally requires a handshake from both sides and has a unique signature, it can be tracked from the polling station to the main server and its delivery is confirmed on the spot. If you think it's any less secure than shitty pieces of paper that I can sign with a name of whatever dead relative I want and just shove into the box when nobody's looking, you're being ridiculous.
This reminded me of the movie Black Sheep with Chris Farley and David Spade.. "KILL WHITEY!!!" Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6v3cT3b59A&t=12s