Pokemon Sword and Shield overtake Gold and Silver as series' second-highest selling games

Pokémon_Sword_and_Shield.jpg

With the updated financial data from Nintendo's latest report, we know that the Nintendo Switch has overtaken the Nintendo Wii in terms of sales. That's not the only upset, though, as the Pokemon franchise has seen a new contender for some of the highest sales figures the series has ever seen. As of December 31, 2021, Pokemon Sword and Shield have sold 23.9 million copies, putting it ahead of Pokemon Gold and Silver, and locking it in as the second-best selling Pokemon game, behind Red and Blue.

The current sales record for the Pokemon series can be seen below. Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, the latest entries in the series as of the time of the financial report, have clocked in at 13.9 million units sold, making it the 12th-best selling title, only a month after their release in November 2021.
Red / Green / Blue – 31,380,000
Sword / Shield – 23,900,000
Gold / Silver – 23,700,000
Diamond / Pearl – 17,670,000
X / Y – 16,580,000
Sun / Moon – 16,270,000
Ruby / Sapphire – 16,220,000
Black / White – 15,640,000
Yellow – 14,640,000
Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire – 14,460,000
Let’s Go, Pikachu / Eevee – 14,330,000
Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl – 13,970,000
HeartGold / SoulSilver – 12,720,000
FireRed / LeafGreen – 12,000,000
Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon – 8,890,000
Black 2 / White 2 – 8,250,000
Platinum – 7,693,000
Emerald – 7,060,000
Crystal – 6,300,000

:arrow: Source

sley

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Weak considering the growth of the total playerbase.
Edit: What I mean is that Switch has more than double the playerbase compared to the Game Boy Color, this matters because G/S/C were Color only games.

Last edited by sley,
Reactions: graeme122

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Weak considering the growth of the total playerbase.
Edit: What I mean is that Switch has more than double the playerbase compared to the Game Boy Color, this matters because G/S/C were Color only games.

idk where you got the idea Gold and Sliver were Gameboy color only, they are not.

sley

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
idk where you got the idea Gold and Sliver were Gameboy color only, they are not.
Huh, you are right. I always assumed that because it got the GBC branding on the box art and Crystal not working on the original GB

Reactions: Flame

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It's not bait. It's the true. Fundamentally speaking, Gold and Silver were horribly coded messes, the pokeballs didn't even work right, the XP curve was horrible. Most people's love for it is more nostalgia than anything, and even now they all act like brats "But Gold and Silver gave us TWO regions!" every new game.
So, your problems with the game are technical. Nice bait.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now let's hope Legends Arceus quickly overtakes those so that Game Freak doesn't learn the wrong lesson here.
Too late I am afraid, they are not known for their ability to learn

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
This says more about the popularity of the switch than the quality of the game

I mean just look at the top songs to see popular =/= good
Exactly. It's all really crappy hip-hop artists and "rappers". Can't stand any of them. I miss when rappers were at least hard, like old ice cube, Scarface, etc. These kids are so soft these days.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Exactly. It's all really crappy hip-hop artists and "rappers". Can't stand any of them. I miss when rappers were at least hard, like old ice cube, Scarface, etc. These kids are so soft these days.
The kind of music i was listening back in my time was soooo much better
Don't understand a single word except Bomba and Sexy and Sensuel

blue-moon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
vgcollect.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
eh I stopped playing after lets go really disappointed me so I just stopped buying new entries, maybe I'll pick up legends arceus but I feel like pokemon games are too simple for me to buy into at full price anymore

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I really hope Legends Arceus gets at least into the top 5. It's the first game since Silver that I actually had an interest in finishing, and managed to 100% it as far as I could (I don't own SWSH or BDSP so I'm unable to obtain Shaymin and Darkrai respectively).

But otherwise not surprised Sword and Shield sold really well. Casuals loved the game and the install base of the switch ensures it'll sell, and sell well.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
eh I stopped playing after lets go really disappointed me so I just stopped buying new entries, maybe I'll pick up legends arceus but I feel like pokemon games are too simple for me to buy into at full price anymore
Do what I did, pirate and emulate it to test it out for yourself, then buy it if you enjoy it. It's the freshest thing to happen to the pokemon series in the past 15 years and feels like when the Zelda series went from 2D to 3D. It's not entirely without rough edges but it's a really good game regardless.

plasma

GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I absolutely love seeing replies saying 'sw/sh bad game freak will carry on making garbage because sw/sh sold well'

imagine if thats how things worked, lmfao.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I absolutely love seeing replies saying 'sw/sh bad game freak will carry on making garbage because sw/sh sold well'

That's actually exactly how things work. Sorry to disappoint you... When they find a good selling formula, they stick with it.

Reactions: AngryCinnabon

andeers

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
That's only because Gold and Silver are not for the switch.
And also, there is more people in the world now than then.

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
Not to be a pokeboomer but jeez this ain't right, Gamefreak is has been lazy (even with legends arceus, which yes it's a step in the right direction but is by no means NEAR how good DQ11S and Xenoblade 1-2 look on the switch) and look, as many including myself fear; it pays off. We'll never get a title on the levels of what GSC, Platinum and BW(2) are again if Gamefreak KNOWS the majority will still eat up the piles of shit they put on a plate. And quite frankly i think we're past the point of return in that regard and this is proof to my point.

Jayro already said it but that's exactly how it works, even if PLA is considered better it's not going to be consistent so don't try to pull that as an example. if we get a real Gen 9 I'm near positive it will be as bad as SWSH if not worse.

Last edited by AngryCinnabon,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, i have a physical copy of mgs4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ok I tried it and 1) it doesnt boot wood menu automatically and 2) when trying to load a game through wood theres just a loading screen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's low on wood
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    lemme ask in forums
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty No you heard wrong, and don't believe till you experience yourself. Fallout 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. Yes it had issues early on, esp with older hardware like the xbox1, but it is awesome, esp now being 4k on Series S/X or PS5
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Then i think people were talking about fallout 76
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that one was buggy too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download...