Pokemon Sword and Shield reach 6 million sales worldwide, highest-grossing Pokemon launch in USA

Pokemon-Sword-and-Shield-1193639.jpg

Just yesterday, the initial sales numbers were in, for [GAME=/game/pok-mon-sword.37382]Pokémon Sword[/GAME] and [GAME=/game/pok-mon-shield.115653]Pokémon Shield[/GAME] showing that the pair had sold 1.3 million copies in their first three days of launch in Japan. While those numbers alone already broke a sales record for the best opening week for a game on the Nintendo Switch, Sword and Shield aren't done yet. The Pokemon Company has announced that in the United States, over 2 million copies were sold during the weekend, marking the highest-grossing launch of any Pokemon game. As of today, Sword and Shield have sold 6 million units worldwide, with the massive sales figure taking both physical and digital sales into account. This puts the eighth generation of Pokemon games ahead of 2013's Pokemon X and Y, which sold four million copies in its first week, and just a bit below Sun and Moon's highly successful launch week sales of 7.2 million.

:arrow: Source (USA)
:arrow: Source (JP)

Tags: [GAME=/game/pok-mon-sword.37382]Pokémon Sword[/GAME], [GAME=/game/pok-mon-shield.115653]Pokémon Shield[/GAME], [PLATFORM=/platform/switch]Nintendo Switch[/PLATFORM], [COMPANY=/company/nintendo]Nintendo[/COMPANY]

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This is NOT good, this means they will be even more lazy with the next game because they know people don't care.
I'm actually finding this game pretty good. So far the game is way better than Sun and Moon, not to mention that Dynamax is actually pretty fun once you give it a try. I honestly couldn't care any less about National Pokedex, people need to grow up, it's just a game.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Called it.

I knew the nontroversies wouldn't slow down the sale of the first real switch Pokemon and it is a pretty good game in itself. Give GTS tho.

Just like fallout 4,it will have a honeymoon phase for some fans,and then they will change there minds later.

^ The sore loser approach to being wrong about how successful SwSh would be.

Last edited by Hells Malice,

warweeny

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm actually finding this game pretty good. So far the game is way better than Sun and Moon, not to mention that Dynamax is actually pretty fun once you give it a try. I honestly couldn't care any less about National Pokedex, people need to grow up, it's just a game.

YOU don't care about national dex, and seeing the outrage online, you are one of the few and are part of the problem.

D

Deleted User

Two things, first: WHAT THE FUCK
Secondly, at this rate it's gonna beat Ultimate in no time flat.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also hot take here: I like this game
And saying this as someone who was already multitasking 3 RPGs, not including Shenmue 3 which I'll dump 100 hours into.

Last edited by ,

YukidaruPunch

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm not crazy about Pokémon but I love Game Freak's catalog, style and creativity. Drill Dozer, HarmoKnight, Jerry Boy 2, Tembo and Pocket Card Jockey are all games that range from great to excellent. I wish them all the best.

Great for the developers on the success, but I really do hope Nintendo and The Pokémon Company give them more time for development on their next game. I'm not following news on the game (and don't plan to) but it's plain to see they were given a somewhat rushed schedule. Early Pokémon games were given very generous development times - spanning almost six years (!) from conception to release on the first one and three and a half years on development of Gold and Silver. This strive towards rushness is not good for productivity and development and it shows.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1