Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

Viktorsilva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Never doing this method again. First time it happens and i alsmout shit myself. In the future ill just stop beeing lazzy and put low solder on it and heat it with the iron till it comes loose.
How bad is it? I can see second layer . I ve looked at scans and there doesnt seem to be anything there except ground layer
View attachment 420394

It´s ok, you just break a fixing anchor :)

Crung

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
It´s ok, you just break a fixing anchor :)
yeah i know more or less ,just wanting to clear my paranoia. Its still shocking you know, that you can fk up a board in an instant.
Post automatically merged:

By the way, any of you guys had problems with consoles where you forgot to put the thermal pad back on the charging chip?

detilmalala

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Hello, I was placing a chip and the console did not recognize when I placed the left joycon, now the console does not turn on and there is no impedance on the yellow track, as if it were open...

Attachments

• sin continuidad.png
    sin continuidad.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 20

Agusnana

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Hello, I want to ask, I accidentally removed the CLK resistor on the Nintendo Switch OLED, in the future, can I look for the same resistor?

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
This mosfet: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/infineon-technologies/IRFHS8342TRPBF/2523446
N-Channel 30 V 8.8A (Ta), 19A (Tc) 2.1W (Ta) Surface Mount 6-PQFN (2x2) (DFN2020)

I tried the polarity switch thing with the current mosfet and it didn't respond, so I'm going to swap them out. Three down, seven to go!

EDIT: Replaced the mosfet -- no change. Replaced the source wire -- no change. If I've somehow damaged or shorted the capacitor, would that give the same result, or would that prevent booting entirely? Do I need to just drown the links between the mosfet and the cap with solder, or would this 30awg suffice?

Thanks again.

Edit 2: Would running lines from SDA and SDL potentially help?

Your previous solder already okay.
This would be problematic though.

If you change the mosfet, but still same, then the problem might lay on other thing. That gate cable try to change it with plastic insulated cable, just for concept only. Maybe when picofly send the 3.3v to switch the mosfet, it is not delivered correctly.

And make sure its connected to the right pin in the picofly board. Sometimes we make a silly mistakes. Human could get tired.

BlueBeans

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just had a customer bring in the switch for a picofly install. He failed to mention that he attempted the mod and tore the cap off of sp1 and sp2. Was able to replace the sp1 but sp2 has a torn pad. Is there an alternative? Can I just connect to sp1?

Just had a customer bring in the switch for a picofly install. He failed to mention that he attempted the mod and tore the cap off of sp1 and sp2. Was able to replace the sp1 but sp2 has a torn pad. Is there an alternative? Can I just connect to sp1?
Answered my own question. Was able to just use sp1 with a single mosfet. 😁

Attachments

• IMG_1962.jpeg
    IMG_1962.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
Last edited by BlueBeans,
Reactions: dehydrated_lemur

Crung

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Anyone experienced this before? Whenever i boot to OFW/CFW/turn off console while in hekate i get this line for 0.01 seconds. What is the cause? I dont get this in OFW/CFW while screen is black (turned on,like loading game). Pins in the display connector looks great,and the cable also?
1708158607999.png

MrScopi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your previous solder already okay.
This would be problematic though.

If you change the mosfet, but still same, then the problem might lay on other thing. That gate cable try to change it with plastic insulated cable, just for concept only. Maybe when picofly send the 3.3v to switch the mosfet, it is not delivered correctly.

And make sure its connected to the right pin in the picofly board. Sometimes we make a silly mistakes. Human could get tired.
Thanks for the ideas. Would a bad connection to the mosfet also trigger ==* ==* ==*? Is it a general "check the mosfet connection", or something else? Is there an order that the boot code goes in, so I can rule out other connection errors?

Swapping the gate wire with a thicker enameled wire didn't change the result, so I'm running out of obvious things to troubleshoot.

Would adding the SDA and SDL wires help bypass this?

I'll get a picture later, but I'm using the 40awg magnet wire for the other connections between the pico and the motherboard. I'm using the SEEED board with the detection pins bridged with solder, following the 6.4 PDF guide from here.

psycho-neon

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Thanks for the ideas. Would a bad connection to the mosfet also trigger ==* ==* ==*? Is it a general "check the mosfet connection", or something else? Is there an order that the boot code goes in, so I can rule out other connection errors?

Swapping the gate wire with a thicker enameled wire didn't change the result, so I'm running out of obvious things to troubleshoot.

I'll get a picture later, but I'm using the 40awg magnet wire for the other connections between the pico and the motherboard. I'm using the SEEED board with the detection pins bridged with solder, following the 6.4 PDF guide from here.
have you tried checking the chip? I had the same issue before and it turns out that the chip was bad. Spent hours of debugging, changing wires etc. but it was the chip that is busted after all.

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip

Picofly firmware send the signal through the gate to the mosfet, and the mosfet bridge the DS, then the firmware will read the byte stream on the CMD line. With that error means the bytes read from the CMD line is normal as if no mosfet in there 'stealing' the power goes to the cpu.

So from here, the probability of the causal, as far as i could list:
1. The mosfet broken.
2. The gate line is problematic.
3. The D or S line which connected to the CPU power (via the capacitor) is problematic.
4. Somehow the CMD line is unstable. Theres check on CMD line voltage, in the beginning. And its passed (OK). Theres also reading CMD line bytes when first upload the loader to the emmc through Dat0 (white led), it also passed. So the probability that this is the cause of the error is low.
5. The picofly (rp2040) problematic cant send the gate signal.
6. The connection from the cap to the cpu are problematic. This also low probability, except you drill something around that place which cut something off. If its really is, then you need to use the cpu caps.
7. Somehow that cpu's batch has different glitch behaviour than others.

The sda and scl as long as i know is unstable. And i don't know whether the last firmware are well tested using sda and scl. I remember in previous time, we could simply click the reset button on the rp2040 when the black screen before (or after) the nintendo logo, and it glitched. That leads to the sda scl method, the glitch are done on low voltage.

Reactions: twins333

MrScopi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Picofly firmware send the signal through the gate to the mosfet, and the mosfet bridge the DS, then the firmware will read the byte stream on the CMD line. With that error means the bytes read from the CMD line is normal as if no mosfet in there 'stealing' the power goes to the cpu.

So from here, the probability of the causal, as far as i could list:
1. The mosfet broken.
2. The gate line is problematic.
3. The D or S line which connected to the CPU power (via the capacitor) is problematic.
4. Somehow the CMD line is unstable. Theres check on CMD line voltage, in the beginning. And its passed (OK). Theres also reading CMD line bytes when first upload the loader to the emmc through Dat0 (white led), it also passed. So the probability that this is the cause of the error is low.
5. The picofly (rp2040) problematic cant send the gate signal.
6. The connection from the cap to the cpu are problematic. This also low probability, except you drill something around that place which cut something off. If its really is, then you need to use the cpu caps.
7. Somehow that cpu's batch has different glitch behaviour than others.

The sda and scl as long as i know is unstable. And i don't know whether the last firmware are well tested using sda and scl. I remember in previous time, we could simply click the reset button on the rp2040 when the black screen before (or after) the nintendo logo, and it glitched. That leads to the sda scl method, the glitch are done on low voltage.
This was an excellent writeup, thank you.

From your list, I believe I might have messed something up with the capacitor. When I was trying to get more solder on to fix the first cold joint, I accidentally covered the cap in solder + flux. I used my wick to clean it up, but perhaps there's some still solder stuck underneath that is bridging the cap.

Are these caps easy to take off?

If not, I'll switch to the front side and move on.

LuigiGad

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hmm now i have error message "failed to init eMMC". I know that worked before, because I had made an complete nand backup. Any ideas why there is a emmc error? i have a waveshare tiny with added 51 ohm to cmd and DAT0. multimeter verified.
I've had 2 cases of purple screen, obviously on OLED and both solved by changing the 4.7K resistor even if intact given my experience. In my opinion it's something that happens at the first boot when you have the white light on the rp2040-zero

Danook28

Trophies
XP
Country
Oman
Some time the picofly it self with heat gun desolder the usb type c and 2 boton yes but the more heat with move some of cap or resistor or led or clock chip cristal.see chip after that.some time from AliExpress come bad solder some resistor.thanks

Reactions: QuiTim

Viktorsilva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hello, I was placing a chip and the console did not recognize when I placed the left joycon, now the console does not turn on and there is no impedance on the yellow track, as if it were open...

This was an excellent writeup, thank you.

From your list, I believe I might have messed something up with the capacitor. When I was trying to get more solder on to fix the first cold joint, I accidentally covered the cap in solder + flux. I used my wick to clean it up, but perhaps there's some still solder stuck underneath that is bridging the cap.

If not, I'll switch to the front side and move on.
@MrScopi , i allready told you what is your problem but i guess you didnt understood.

I already had this problem and even created a topic mentioning it but as I didn't get help from anyone I had to figure out how to solve it on my own because I bought 150 Mosfets. Most users on this forum use flex cables that solder directly to the cpu capacitors and as they have pull-down protection resistance, the mosfet is never in open mode. However, handling the mosfet directly can leave the Gate open to the Drain. And it is in this situation that you will receive the famous ==* error.

IMG_5523.jpg

Well, I decided to take a new MOSFET out of the packaging and leave it in open mode so you can understand what I'm saying. Notice how in this image the Source is open to the Drain:

IMG_5511.jpg

If I install the mosfet in this state, it won't work. The internal diode is open and allows the passage of electrical current between the Source and Gate point. If you do, Picofly will give the error long long short yellow light (==*)

But it is possible to close the internal diode again, passing residual energy (just use the multimeter in diode mode) by placing the red (positive) tip on Gate and the black tip on the Drain. And the result is:
IMG_5520.jpg

:toot: :D:hrth: Now Mosfet is ready to be installed again .

I made a short video on how to close the Mosfet again. Maybe it will be easier to understand if you watch the video. These MOSFETs have proven to be very resilient. In all my installations I only damaged a diode once and it was my fault because I insulated it poorly and it touched the metal protection of the CPU (it even smoked).

Measure the continuity on your mosfet and tell me if you have the Source open for the Drain. If so, you discovered your problem.
:)

Answered my own question. Was able to just use sp1 with a single mosfet. 😁
There are many situations where people have damaged the cpu capacitors (SP1 & SP2) and the installation still worked. However, work worthy of a professional requires replacing the damaged capacitor. You can find an identical capacitor on the bottom of the RP2040 Zero:

capacitors.PNG

It booted to ofw, Im gonna fix it this soldering job. I know it looks funny :rofl2:

View attachment 420493

Got it working! thanks @Viktorsilva
Another one come back from the dead :) :) :)

Attachments

• IMG_5522.MOV
    3.1 MB
Last edited by Viktorsilva,

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
but perhaps there's some still solder stuck underneath that is bridging the cap.
Its not possible. If its bridge, the device wont power on, since the cpu doesnt get the power, and the power ic which supplied it might burn because of excessive current flows.

Difficult to answer.
Generally its not easy.

That is the whole reason why i said the back mosfet is safe compare to the front cap. Because its not easy to take it off (or broke the pad), since its big. If its small cap, just put lot of solder until it cover the whole body, it will easily take off (and the caps pad are easily broken).

@MrScopi , i allready told you what is your problem but i guess you didnt understood.

I already had this problem and even created a topic mentioning it but as I didn't get help from anyone I had to figure out how to solve it on my own because I bought 150 Mosfets. Most users on this forum use flex cables that solder directly to the cpu capacitors and as they have pull-down protection resistance, the mosfet is never in open mode. However, handling the mosfet directly can leave the Gate open to the Drain. And it is in this situation that you will receive the famous ==* error.

View attachment 420621

Well, I decided to take a new MOSFET out of the packaging and leave it in open mode so you can understand what I'm saying. Notice how in this image the Source is open to the Drain:

View attachment 420622

If I install the mosfet in this state, it won't work. The internal diode is open and allows the passage of electrical current between the Source and Gate point. If you do, Picofly will give the error long long short yellow light (==*)

But it is possible to close the internal diode again, passing residual energy (just use the multimeter in diode mode) by placing the red (positive) tip on Gate and the black tip on the Drain. And the result is:
View attachment 420624

:toot: :D:hrth: Now Mosfet is ready to be installed again .

I made a short video on how to close the Mosfet again. Maybe it will be easier to understand if you watch the video. These MOSFETs have proven to be very resilient. In all my installations I only damaged a diode once and it was my fault because I insulated it poorly and it touched the metal protection of the CPU (it even smoked).

Measure the continuity on your mosfet and tell me if you have the Source open for the Drain. If so, you discovered your problem.

There are many situations where people have damaged the cpu capacitors (SP1 & SP2) and the installation still worked. However, work worthy of a professional requires replacing the damaged capacitor. You can find an identical capacitor on the bottom of the RP2040 Zero:

View attachment 420634

Another one come back from the dead :) :) :)
Actually theres no need to switch the gate off manually.
The picofly will pull down the gate when its on.

The problem might occur if the gate line disconnected and the gate in on state, the mosfet might burn, since the picofly can't pull it down.

https://github.com/rehius/usk/blob/6530fd9fe58980ea03d47905bad5e871b9439b7a/board_detect.c#L65
a.png

Its pulled down right after the picofly firmware booting up.

Viktorsilva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Its not possible. If its bridge, the device wont power on, since the cpu doesnt get the power, and the power ic which supplied it might burn because of excessive current flows.

Difficult to answer.
Generally its not easy.

That is the whole reason why i said the back mosfet is safe compare to the front cap. Because its not easy to take it off (or broke the pad), since its big. If its small cap, just put lot of solder until it cover the whole body, it will easily take off (and the caps pad are easily broken).

Actually theres no need to switch the gate off manually.
The picofly will pull down the gate when its on.

The problem might occur if the gate line disconnected and the gate in on state, the mosfet might burn, since the picofly can't pull it down.

https://github.com/rehius/usk/blob/6530fd9fe58980ea03d47905bad5e871b9439b7a/board_detect.c#L65
View attachment 420681
Its pulled down right after the picofly firmware booting up.

I believe that theoretically it should do it, but I guarantee you that if you install the MOSFET with source open to Drain, Picofly will not glitch and give the error ==*. I already tried it

MrScopi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thank you again. I did check both the old mosfet and my new one, and both prior to installation did not have Source open to Drain. So they should have been OK to go.

After installation, I have continuity between Source and Drain -- this confuses me and makes me wonder if I have a short somewhere else. But those two sides of the cap have continuity before I install the mosfet, so for all I know the continuity path is via the cap and not the mosfet IC.

Glad to know that "shorting" the cap would be more obvious that just not glitching! I suppose at this point I might as well try swapping out the picofly boards themselves soon. I'm reasonably certain all my connections are correct, but I won't be back in front of the switch until Monday-ish.

Thanks again!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Sonic Angel Knight, Is that SAK I see. :ninja:
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What a weird game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah I wanted to see shards of the titanic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I kept thinking jaws was gonna come up and attack
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Jaws is on a diet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn power went out
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok xdqwerty, your little bro prob tripped On the cord and unplugged you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ya I'm afraid of the dark hug me
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Grab and hold close your AncientBoi doll.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn didn't charge my external battery either
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Take the batteries out of your SuperStabber3000... Or is it gas powered?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I stole batteries from your black mamba
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My frozen food better hold up for an hour I know that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or else gonna be a big lunch and dinner tomorrow.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you pay your power bill? Or give all yo money to my wife, again.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh good the estimated time is the same exact time they just said
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Load up your pc and monitor, and head to a McDonalds dining room, they have free WiFi
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sir please watch your porn in the bathroom
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No sir we can not sell you anymore apple pies, after what you did with the last one.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We ran out
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    for your life
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My life has no value my fat ass is staying right here
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: My life has no value my fat ass is staying right here