People Obsessed with SCORES

Topfragger

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
This is something that i cannot stand about 7th generation gaming.
The fact that almost EVERY gamer including self proclaimed "hardcore gamers" use review scores as a medium on determining whether or not game releases are good or not and compare games (mostly ones that are in competition with games from another console) but the thing is it's really really ufking stupid....

a score out of 10 CANNOT express whether a game is actually good theres too many factors and reading a review is more worthwhile.
GBAtemp when reviewing products they use a pros and cons system not Scores, which is what all game reviewers should adopt.
that and people should stop using numerical scores to determine or compare games being better.

For example!

one title could be very very enjoyable and original and have an engaging storyline, but has a few flaws in programming and some graphical glitches but still is so damn creative and entertaining that it's still a good game, but the score must be lowered because of those flaws being a little too obvious.

then you have overhyped overrated piece of publicised average shit on the Xbawx tree sixteh
with an unexplained high score even though the game is unoriginal and has a very cliched sci-fi plotline and very much Standard gameplay and shooter elements found in almost every other game out there in the market.

then compare those 2 games, a retard will say "But Hal *cough* i mean Generic hyped title is far better because the score is higher"
but smart people will compare the game itself, in many fanboy arguements they never want to compare beyond the score because it would make the comparison FAIR which they don't want and would change the outcome.

Halo 3 fanboys Brawl fanboys Bioshock Fanboys Metal gear Solid 4 Fanboys and so on are all pretty much like that.
and when the score fails them they move onto sales, or blame the reviewer as having soldout to Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo Microsoft usually.. but that's another story....
My point is that scores do not mean shit and if your not reading the reviews your a moron and your not ever going to enjoy gaming properly you will most likely be playing games and pretending that their good because your forcing yourself to believe that if someone who is under a fancy title of Game reviewer....

I often find Youtube or blog reviews done by normal gamers that are not being endorsed in any way are more reliable and are far more honest than anything IGN Gamespot or Gametrailers says, because only Sheep'll let a company give a simple yehy or nehy before going out to buy something, and then your lost! your a puppet or marketing! good BAAAH! to you foolish fool who can't form his own opinion!

Upperleft

Namcoholic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I totally agree
ratings might let down the gamer even if the game was worth a try
there are some games that i really enjoyed but after i saw some ratings .. i lost the interest of playing that game again

Neko

Been a while.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't trust scores. I maybe look at the high rated games first but then I read the lower reviews and test it for myself if it looks interesting. Although the "Gamestar" (German PC-Gaming MAG) is pretty trustworthy and most of the scores are pretty much what I would have given the game.
smile.gif

wilddenim

Candy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I agree, I used to test high scored games thinking it would be good. But of course, I learnt my lessons and discovered games that scored low to be much more awesome than high scored games. Nintendogs. I mean WTF!? It's bad!

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I didn't read your post, but I honestly don't have to as I feel the same way. If you're going to spend upwards of even $30 on something, you can spend ten minutes reading reviews instead of ten seconds to check a score and run out the door. I personally have been burned on bad games (mind you before I had the net to check scores) but...like for Father's Day, I was going to buy my dad a 360 game given how epically difficult MKWii was to find, so I figured, hey--racing is good. He loves the genre and if not shooter games, the rest of his Xbox 180 library was racers. =P

So, I went on over to GameFAQs. I checked the review for GRiD as I had remembered it from the video posted here comparing it to Gran Turismo 5 and why GRiD was better, and there was only one review on there, an 8/10 I believe. So I read it all the way through, and I was personally sold. "The fact that you could rewind in a race ala Prince of Persia would be great for Dad!" I cried. I checked out the page for Forza 2, and there were considerably more reviews, but I didn't bother reading any of them as the GRiD review was written so well that I had already made my decision.

Currently, Dad is struggling with the game but he's enjoying the challenge.
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Hopefully your not like south of Tampa they got flooding