Not open for further replies.

fatfrank

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i agree with the original post. Honestly, i think both consoles are great, just like ps2 vs xbox, i loved them both... but i gotta agree, for the price, ps3 is a much better deal for all it's features out of the box. So it is cheaper to me. Just buying a blu-ray player would cost me and i love movies. So in one purchase i get an internet ready console with great games ready to play my blurays and store some music and movies on.

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country
As a games machine, 360 is a fair bit cheaper - it's cheaper than the wi even now if you look around.

IF you want to watch hd films etc then you may have a point - but most people aren't fussed just yet.

TheStump

Got Wood?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
that fact that this convo has come to paying extra for wireless battery packs for controllers to makes the comparisons in prices seems rather useless.
bobs topic was;
The PS3 is cheap considering what you get.

if you are all spitting hairs over the small extras xbox offers, this makes me realize that the prices can't be too different.
the fact is, both units are expensive in terms buying a console. But its understandable considering how much more they both offer.

so really;
The prices is reflective of the hardware you are buying.. plain and simple.
if you took the wii for example, the hardware is less powerful and probably cheaper to produce. hence it being cheaper.

Gamesphere

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
But, No one has taken into account WHAT and WHO you are buying from. I want to buy a XBOX 360. Yes, with all features included it may add up more than the PS3 but I want to buy it for GEARS OF WAR. I want to buy it for BIOSHOCK. I want to buy it for MASS EFFECT. These I cannot buy on the PS3

I want to buy a PS3. I want to buy it for BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY for my PS2, RESISTANCE 2, UNCHARTED, KILLZONE 2, METAL GEAR SOLID 4, LITTLEBIG PLANET. These I cannot buy on the Xbox 360.

So screw what's cheaper or not, You buy systems for games that you want.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TheStump said:
the fact is, both units are expensive in terms buying a console.
It's funny how this whole 360 vs. PS3 back and forth seems to have been geared entirely to make {a community of} people forget that they are essentially expensive toys, and instead make it out to be a victory if you own/favor one over the other. Though... Wii sales seem to point out that no one really has forgotten.

Gamesphere:
You are 100% right, though that doesn't really explain early adopters who had no clue what titles would be coming on either machine.

Gamesphere

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So It seems in that case, Adopters would be basing their purchases on past experiences. They would look at how PS2 or Xbox was and would choose the one that suited them most. But in the sense of Soccer Mom buying for spoiled kid, The Launch PS3's price was a pretty big factor!

Hell, Anyone remember the story about two guys who robbed more than half the line of people waiting outside to get PS3's at a Walmart somewhere in Midwest USA. Imagine probally over 15 people robbed, all of them carrying 600$ and more.

BIG MONEY BIG MONEY
nyanya.gif
hate2.gif

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Gamesphere, my point wasn't which console is the right console for any certain individual, only that the PS3 isn't more expensive like people keep saying.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My friend bought his PS3 and got it for the price of sore feet only.

Bought 3 the day they arrived on Black Thursday, and sold two to lazy people with more money than patience. After the two sold his was defacto free.

He didn't pay anything for his Wii either.

If I'm not mistaken he got his PSP for peanuts.

He gave the DS to his brother as a gift though.

I'm glad I am both too old to be desperate for any of the above, and the person that controls the family finances (and can buy whatever I feel like getting ... with some planning).

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Panzer Tacticer said:
I'm glad I am both too old to be desperate for any of the above,

... and again with the needless age-related comment, which 99.9% of your posts contain ... seriously, you need to get over whatever it is that makes you feel the need to constantly point out that you are older than many of us here ...

As for the PS3, whilst I do not use as much more than a media streamer/BluRay player, I am not disappointed in my purchase ... I have some nice exclusive titles, and more are coming ... Little Big Planet appeals to me ...

blahman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
theclaw said:
360 seems cheaper, but to get comparable functionality to even a 40GB PS3, costs more in the end.

40GB PS3: $399
360 premium ($349) with wi-fi adapter ($99) and HD-DVD drive ($49): $497.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Let me add some fuel to the flame....
wait for it...
For now you still have to buy a Dual Shock 3 to compare with X360's controller with rumble
tongue.gif

ROCKET FUEL!

right right right?

Anyway. I reckon theyre both too expensive lol. actually i havent got a console since SNES.
But if I am to pick from one of them I have to say X360 for the games it has now ask me again next year it prolly be PS3.

People's tastes have more influence on purchase decision than the price, really. People find something expensive because they don't see the value for them personally in the purchase. So if the PS3 library is not their cup of tea and those additional functions are useless to them then the PS3 is worthless to them - and therefore be expensive regardless of the pricetag. Just like sure as hell I wouldnt buy those shovelware games from DSI even if theyre being sold for $2.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guise! I can make the 360 look cheap and PS3 look expensive by adding random crap no one needs, too!

360: 350$ + Xbox Marketplace video rental section 0$
PS3: 400$ + 229$ Apple TV

And before you say "but I don't need HD movie rentals" let me say "I don't need a wireless adapter"

You guys are forgetting about other, software, features of the consoles that make it feel complete.

The 360 has ingame private voice chat, and video chat. You can see what all your friends are doing, and join their online match if theres room for you.

That brings me to another point:

360 350$ + included headset 0$
PS3 400$ + bluetooth headset - 30-70$ (the lowest price is if you buy from deal extreme, and its not the most quality one either)

360 350$ + cost of modding tools
PS3 400$ + 50n where n is number of games you buy from newegg, assuming free shipping, otherwise 60n

Now I'm not gonna bother factoring everything in to see the final price, as you should be able too see my point.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bob Evil said:
Panzer Tacticer said:
I'm glad I am both too old to be desperate for any of the above,

... and again with the needless age-related comment, which 99.9% of your posts contain ... seriously, you need to get over whatever it is that makes you feel the need to constantly point out that you are older than many of us here ...

As for the PS3, whilst I do not use as much more than a media streamer/BluRay player, I am not disappointed in my purchase ... I have some nice exclusive titles, and more are coming ... Little Big Planet appeals to me ...

Hey I don't point out the people that make comments that scream out they are young do I.

I like very little of being old, I enjoy finding the few cases where it's cool.

So if you don't like the fact I'm older than a lot of your dads, and don't mind saying it, get over it
smile.gif

I think it doesn't hurt to reinforce the fact that your games, oft slagged off by my age group, are also supported by many of my age group.

The DS isn't just for kids
smile.gif

Bob Loblaw

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
Hey guise! I can make the 360 look cheap and PS3 look expensive by adding random crap no one needs, too!

And before you say "but I don't need HD movie rentals" let me say "I don't need a wireless adapter"

You guys are forgetting about other, software, features of the consoles that make it feel complete.

The 360 has ingame private voice chat, and video chat. You can see what all your friends are doing, and join their online match if theres room for you.

That brings me to another point:

360 350$ + included headset 0$
PS3 400$ + bluetooth headset - 30-70$ (the lowest price is if you buy from deal extreme, and its not the most quality one either)

360 350$ + cost of modding tools
PS3 400$ + 50n where n is number of games you buy from newegg, assuming free shipping, otherwise 60n

Now I'm not gonna bother factoring everything in to see the final price, as you should be able too see my point.

haha doesn't make sense. You're not making the systems hardware specs comparable. And the

$500 dualshock 3/MGS4 bundle is still cheaper than any of the following
$350 Pro/ or $280 Arcade(+wireless controller$50)/ or $450 Elite + wireless adapter + hd dvd player + game. Which is what you would need to make them be able to do essentially the same thing(have wireless controller and internet, playback hd movies, rumble controller, and have a game.)

There's no arguement. Give it up. I'm not making it a lopsided argument by adding things one system doesn't have.

iamisaac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bob Loblaw said:
ItsMetaKnight said:
It's too expensive for what you get.

a wireless ready system + blu ray player + gaming machine is what you get. A standalone blu ray player is the same price. So, I'm not sure where your logic is coming from. But I can see this is going to shit real quick so maybe it should just be closed.

Well see, I don't want a blue ray player and the ps3 is laughable as a gaming system in its current library.
Ps3 has much more future potential.
xbox360 currently the best bang for your buck.

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
iamisaac said:
Well see, I don't want a blue ray player and the ps3 is laughable as a gaming system in its current library.

This is exactly how I feel. If you're looking for a blu-ray player then the PS3 is one hell of a deal. But I didn't need all that so I copped 360 instead. No regrets at all
grog.gif

Bob Loblaw

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
iamisaac said:
Bob Loblaw said:
ItsMetaKnight said:
It's too expensive for what you get.

a wireless ready system + blu ray player + gaming machine is what you get. A standalone blu ray player is the same price. So, I'm not sure where your logic is coming from. But I can see this is going to shit real quick so maybe it should just be closed.

Holy sh*t, the point of the topic just went over your head by about a mile. The point is if you were to have the systems have the same features, not whether you want them or not. And even if you didn't buy any of the extra features, the elite is still $50 more than the PS3 and that's without a wireless adapter and the premium will come out to the same after buying a wireless adapter or more if you buy the official M$ one.
It's not about which system has the games you want for it. It's a hardware comparison. Not which system is better. The PS3 is a better deal when it comes to what you get like 754boy said and a lot of times cheaper in the end, but it may not be the deal you WANT though (like if you don't need blu-ray playback or wireless internet etc.)

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Linkiboy said:

Eh, that doesn't really make sense to me.
wacko.gif

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
coolbho3000 said:
Linkiboy said:

wacko.gif

I don't think its supposed to make sense...
It is Linki after all.

Deleted member 110780

WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ZeWarrior said:
coolbho3000 said:
Linkiboy said:

wacko.gif

I don't think its supposed to make sense...
It is Linki after all.

He means that everyone has their own personal preferences on what to buy for their systems, and depending on those preferences one console will be more expensive than the other. Everyone has different needs. The original post was intended to point out how much each console would cost when you put the hardware on par with each other, and then people started replying on what they needed/didn't need etc.

QUOTE(jalaneme @ May 10 2008, 03:23 PM) QUOTE(-x1_0_nt- @ May 10 2008, 11:17 PM)
The 360 comes with a set of AA Batteries and everyone has batteries floating around their home.

unless you want to be replacing batteries every few days like on the Wii no thanks! even with rechargeable batteries it's still annoying as you have to wait hours before they charge up again.
Duracell has a 15 minute charger you know XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Now she knows a tenth percent of what I go through when you send me pms
    +3
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My links could be wild life in nature or wild life in unnatural circumstances lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your links are the Ukraine Russia war
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biden signed a income contract just so you can keep sending me the mutated things that you do
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That just look right with food coloring liquid running down it
    +1
    Muhahahaha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Blue omelette
    +1
    Lol Ken will never eat an omelette again lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Actually ihops omlettes still hit haven't had one in forever
    The steak one is amazing
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn near $20 so fuck them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I second that, they are good. I always get the steak and add mushrooms to it also. But yea been awhile since had myself. I used to go there every morn for coffee and breakfast, meet with my work crew, but we all stop going, too expensive.
    +1
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I'm scarred for life.
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    See you guys, I'll get lost for another month. Maybe the rest of the year.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See you tomorrow
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Peace. Take care, no more searching tonight. You gonna have nightmares.
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    See you tomorrow.
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    did she just vomit on the chat before leaving
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    why are girls doing this nowadays? is this some weird way of showing dominance?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, I put her outside though, then cleaned it up.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ah yes the unique power of girls vomiting on you
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ah yes the unique power of girls vomiting on you