Hacking Gaming Misc GCN Oldies Others Interested in making HD texture packs? Need help.

SsjKage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I'm interested in making HD texture packs for PCSx2, PJ64, and Dolphin and SoH. Does anyone know where I can get started on learning how to make this happen? I had an account on Emutalk and thought I'd ask there, but they perma banned my account and I haven't even used my account for along time now. So I was wondering if someone could please share me some information on what I should be doing? I'm clueless. So sorry. I don't know where to start. If anyone know a tutorial beginners guide on where to get started, especially for learning/educational purposes, that would be great. :) I was hoping I could use software like GIMP, etc to work on HD texture packs for fun as a hobby. Thanks. :) I like art so wanted to try to do something. Thank you. ^_^

SadOrigami

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi, is always nice to have new people doing this.

We made a quick tutorial on the HD Texture Packs Group Discord for the PCSX2 emulator on how to dump and replace textures. I haven't tried the other emulators.

For upscaling everyone uses Esrgan (you need a graphics card) with Cupscale or Chainner gui, I use the console and Paint.NET to assert dominance in both upscaling and editing. If you need help with editing please tell me, as for Esrgan I recommend you look at YouTube tutorials since is not that simple.

The most used models for Esrgan are:
  • Lollypop (for realistic textures)
  • RealisticRescaler (also for realistic textures)
  • HDCube (for cartoon textures)
  • UltraMix Smooth (for mixed textures)
I use the model ScreenBooster V2 which is for screenshots, but because I rely on heavy editing, so you shouldn't use what I use.

Reactions: SsjKage

SsjKage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, is always nice to have new people doing this.

We made a quick tutorial on the HD Texture Packs Group Discord for the PCSX2 emulator on how to dump and replace textures. I haven't tried the other emulators.

For upscaling everyone uses Esrgan (you need a graphics card) with Cupscale or Chainner gui, I use the console and Paint.NET to assert dominance in both upscaling and editing. If you need help with editing please tell me, as for Esrgan I recommend you look at YouTube tutorials since is not that simple.

The most used models for Esrgan are:
  • Lollypop (for realistic textures)
  • RealisticRescaler (also for realistic textures)
  • HDCube (for cartoon textures)
  • UltraMix Smooth (for mixed textures)
I use the model ScreenBooster V2 which is for screenshots, but because I rely on heavy editing, so you shouldn't use what I use.

Thanks for sharing! Sorry for late reply. :( Should a i7 8700k and GTX 1660 Super be fine? :)

SadOrigami

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
No worries! Bear in mind that AI upscaling does not really require powerful hardware, and current AI models rely on patterns and information from the existing image data to enhance resolution, but they cannot perfectly recreate the fine details that were never captured in the original image, which means that AI upscaling is kinda barebones. This results in upscaled images that may look clearer or more defined, but they still lack the true detail and quality of a high-resolution original. Therefore, even a 1660 Super is more than sufficient for current AI upscaling tasks, as the limitations are not due to hardware performance but rather the inherent constraints of the upscaling algorithms themselves.

Reactions: SsjKage

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: What.