OTG, external HDD and exploit questions

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The usb port on the front is usb 2.0, limited to 100mA without doing the limiter mod, there is a compatibility list for USB flash drive, hdd won't work on the front without mod I believe.

Obviously using a hdd is more beneficial due to usb thumb drive die faster, project eris allows you to run ps1 games along with RetroArch.

Does that limiter mod involve unscrewing and soldering? Anyway, as long as a 2.5" USB 3.0 1 TB external HDD and a power supply connected to the PSC's Micro USB port via OTG cable works, fine by me.

And are external HDDs faster than USB flash drives? Since I don't plan on using Retroboot, should another exploit be used or does Project Eris have more advantages over other exploits? What is the easier exploit to follow and does any of them require unscrewing or soldering anything?

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To do that limiter mod is it required to unscrew or solder anything? Anyway, as long as a 2.5" USB 3.0 1 TB external HDD attached to that OTG Hub device connected in the backwards USB port works, fine by me.

And are external HDDs faster than USB Flash Drives? Since I don't plan on using RetroArch, should I use another exploit method or does Project Iris have more advantages over other jailbreak methods? What is the easier jailbreak method to follow and does any of them require unscrewing or soldering anything?

There is two resistors on the board you have to short, in order to get around the current limit, you need to have an understanding of electronic and soldering, basically you are shorting two resistor on the board, there are tutorials on YouTube on that.

Really no benefit, a hdd won't go any faster that the usb thumb drive, still limited to usb 2.0 speed. I only tried project eris, so I can't really tell you about other methods.

Reactions: Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
There is two resistors on the board you have to short, in order to get around the current limit, you need to have an understanding of electronic and soldering, basically you are shorting two resistor on the board, there are tutorials on YouTube on that.

Really no benefit, a hdd won't go any faster that the usb thumb drive, still limited to usb 2.0 speed. I only tried project eris, so I can't really tell you about other methods.

I was talking about the copying speed from the PC to both and vice-versa.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did it have lag? Maybe it depends on the games since when running some PS2 games using OPL via SMB I also have lag. I can't make POPStarter work via SMB.

Is it hard to jailbreak the PS1/PSone? Does it involve unscrewing or soldering? How are games stored to be played on the PS1?

Xenogears did lag on the ps2, but ps2 games did ran fine from a internal hdd fat ps2, keep in mind an internal hdd has faster read speeds than a usb 1.1 port on a slim ps2.

Pretty simple you just need to download some file and install it on the playstation classic. On the classic it can be stored on usb thumb drive or usb hdd mentioned before.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Xenogears did lag on the ps2, but ps2 games did ran fine from a internal hdd fat ps2, keep in mind an internal hdd has faster read speeds than a usb 1.1 port on a slim ps2.

Pretty simple you just need to download some file and install it on the playstation classic. On the classic it can be stored on usb thumb drive or usb hdd mentioned before.

I was told PS1 games didn't lag on POPStarter via USB or lagged less than PS2's on OPL via USB at least and it seems you used an internal HDD, which is even weirder. But PS2 games still lag on OPL via SMB when the latter is supposedly faster than USB.

I was talking about the PS1, not the PSC.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you run that game from the internal HDD? But I still have lag from SMB when it's supposedly faster than USB.

I was talking about the PS1, not the PSC.

I only had an internal hdd, so everything was running off the internal hdd. Internal is faster than smb and the ps2 1.1 usb.

As for the ps1 there are software hax like tonyhax. And other options like xstation.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I only had an internal hdd, so everything was running off the internal hdd. Internal is faster than smb and the ps2 1.1 usb.

As for the ps1 there are software hax like tonyhax. And other options like xstation.

But I thought they wouldn't lag on POPStarter via USB.

OK, but how are games hosted? Do those involve unscrewing and soldering? What about FreePSXBoot? How can backups be played on the PS1?

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You can also use freepsxboot, explaination is on the githubs.

https://github.com/brad-lin/FreePSXBoot

Smb is slower than internal.

Is it required to burn backups to CD-Rs if using FreePSXBoot to play them? If so, won't it wear the PS1's laser faster? What if burning them to CD+Rs, CD-RWs, CD+RWs or DVDs and what about running PS1 games which were out in over a disc?

I know it is but I was told they would only lag on POPStarter via USB. Also, what about running PS1 and PS2 multiple disc backups in the PS2 on POPStarter and OPL and in the PS3?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If using FreePSXBoot, to play backups, is it required to burn them to CDs? If so, won't it wear the PS1's laser faster? What if burning them to CD+Rs, CD-RWs or DVDs and what about running PS1 games which were released in more than one disc?

Also, what about running PS1 and PS2 games which were released in more than one disc on the PS2 using OPL?

For games that had more than one disc, you finish the first disc, the game will tell you to load up the second disc, it continues from there.

As for the freepsxboot, it is similar to Tonyhax it allows you to boot out of region ps1 games or backup cd of ps1 games. That where the xstation come in, people able to run games off micro sd with the xstation but xstation cost 300-400 without hdmi mod, with hdmi mod cost $1000.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
For games that had more than one disc, you finish the first disc, the game will tell you to load up the second disc, it continues from there.

As for the freepsxboot, it is similar to Tonyhax it allows you to boot out of region ps1 games or backup cd of ps1 games. That where the xstation come in, people able to run games off micro sd with the xstation but xstation cost 300-400 without hdmi mod, with hdmi mod cost $1000.

But according to what I read, there are users having problems when playing multiple discs on the PS1, PS2 and PS3. In the PS3 case, maybe the PKG version should be installed, and if doesn't exist, convert the PS1/PS2 game to it.

So, if using FreePSXBoot or tonyhax, there's no choice but to burn games to CD-Rs?

Use the second player usb port rather than an otg adapter on the psx classic.

But @Hayato213 believes external HDDs won't work on the front ports without a mod and would the PSC Classic recognize a 2.5" 1 TB USB 3.0 external HDD?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But according to what I read, there are users having problems when playing multiple discs on the PS1, PS2 and PS3. In the PS3 case, maybe one should install the PKG version, and if doesn't exist, convert the PS1/PS2 game to it.

So, if using FreePSXBoot or tonyhax, one doesn't a choice but to burn the games to CD-R?

But Hayato213 believes external HDDs won't work on the front ports without a mod and would the PSC Classic recognize a 2.5" 1 TB USB 3.0 external HDD?

It vary for each generation of playstation games, I mean I tried xenosaga on ps3 they struggled to run and xenogears on ps2 with POPStarter they struggle.

As for the classic without the mod, the front usb out only allow 100mA not enough for a 2.5 hdd.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It vary for each generation of playstation games, I mean I tried xenosaga on ps3 they struggled to run and xenogears on ps2 with POPStarter they struggle.

As for the classic without the mod, the front usb out only allow 100mA not enough for a 2.5 hdd.

What about PSOne Classics and PS2 Classics on the PS3?

So, I guess I'd have to connect an OTG cable to the PSC's Micro USB port to connect a 2.5" external HDD and a power supply. What if using the T adapter @Ferris1000 showed, which is smaller than the one you mentioned? Would an 2.5" external HDD connected to it work?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about PSone classics and PS2 classics on the PS3?

So I guess I'd have to use an HUB with an OTG cable on the back port to use a 2.5" external HDD. What if using the adapter Ferris1000 mentioned, which is smaller than the one you mentioned? Would an 2.5" external HDD attached to it work and an OTG cable wouldn't even be neeed?

Can't help you about the ps2 and ps1 classic since I don't have a ps2 or ps3 anymore.

As for what Ferris1000 suggested it should work as you just connecting the hdd to the playstation classic via the otg cable/adapter same concept, keep in mind the wall outlet for the classic output 5v/1a. Should be enough to power a 2.5 drive.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Can't help you about the ps2 and ps1 classic since I don't have a ps2 or ps3 anymore.

As for what Ferris1000 suggested it should work as you just connecting the hdd to the playstation classic via the otg cable/adapter same concept, keep in mind the wall outlet for the classic output 5v/1a. Should be enough to power a 2.5 drive.

How can this power supply's USB-A port be USB 2.0 and not USB 1.0 if it's white? I thought white USB-A ports were USB 1.0.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: how many girlfriends is too many