2.5" 1 TB external HDD not being recognized by AutoBleem after hooking it to OTG cable

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The PSC sometimes doesn't recognize my 2.5" 1 TB USB 3.0 external HDD (so, AutoBleem doesn't boot) but it does (so, AutoBleem successfully boots) my USB flash drive connected to the PSC's USB 2 port. Now what? Also, the USB 2.0 flash drive works if connected to USB 2 but not to USB 1, which I find it odd.

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

Kazesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing because the usb port is not supplying enough power for a hard drive. usb flash drives don't require much power. you're options? try using a powered usb hub if you've got one.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm guessing because the usb port is not supplying enough power for a hard drive. usb flash drives don't require much power. you're options? try using a powered usb hub if you've got one.

But it sometimes recognizes it. I have a self-powered one. Could you tell me how to use it on the PSC? I connect its power supply to a socket and then what do I do with its USB cable, since it's not Micro USB but USB-A? I already use an OTG cable so why would I need an USB hub?

Also, do USB 3.0 devices demand more power than USB 2.0's?

Kazesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a powered USB 3.0 one. Could you tell me how to use it on the PSC? I connect its AC adapter to the wall outlet and then what do I do with its USB-A cable?

Also, don't USB 3.0 devices demand more power than USB 2.0 ones?
sorry I don't know, don't have any of these mini consoles. maybe the adapter you are using to power the psc is just enough for the console itself?

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
sorry I don't know, don't have any of these mini consoles. maybe the adapter you are using to power the psc is just enough for the console itself?

Then why does it sometimes work?

EDIT: I get the PSC to recognize the external HDD (so, AutoBleem successfully boots) by taking the OTG cable from the PSC's Micro USB port and putting it back. Since I sometimes have this problem, I have to do this process when it happens but I'm worried if this messes up the external HDD since for some reason the external HDD automatically turns on as soon as it's connected to the OTG cable and the latter is conanected to the PSC's Micro USB port even with the PSC turned off but what choice do I have? Since the external HDD automatically turns on if connected to the OTG cable and with the latter connected to the PSC's Micro USB port, I only connect it to the OTG cable when I want to run AutoBleem. Also, the external HDD doesn't turn off even after turning off the PSC and the PSC's adapter makes a noise when turning off the console with the external HDD connected to the OTG cable, so one more reason to connect the external HDD to the OTG cable when wanting to run AutoBleem. Maybe the power supply doesn't provide enough energy to power the PSC and its external HDD so that makes the PSC to not recognize the external HDD, but if so, why does it sometimes work? @esmith13 said there was nothing to worry about as long as the power supply was 5V only, not QC (like my previous power supply, which I didn't even try). Maybe it's not a decent power supply?

EDIT 2: Now, when turning off the PSC with the external HDD connected to it, the PSC turns on immediately afterwards. Also, the external HDD stopped working because the PSC doesn't blink (so, it doesn't recognize AutoBleem) and even two PCs say to insert a disk when double-clicking it in File Explorer. I find it odd that this external HDD stopped working when I bought it April last year.

EDIT 3: I bought another 2.5" 1 TB USB 3.0 external HDD and the PSC always recognized it (so, AutoBleem successfully boots) so I don't have to take the OTG cable from the PSC's Micro USB port and put it back (maybe the previous external HDD sucked since it had that problem from the start). Also, this external HDD turns off some seconds after turning off the PSC unlike the other (again, maybe the other external HDD sucked since it also had that problem from the start) but since it still automatically turns on if connected to the OTG cable and with the latter connected to the PSC's Micro USB port and the PSC's adapter still makes a noise when turning off the console with the external HDD connected to the OTG cable, I only connect the external HDD to the OTG cable when I want to run AutoBleem. I just hope this external HDD lasts longer than the other since the latter didn't even last a year.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...