PS1/2 Questions about using a 2.5" external HDD

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I was told the PS2 mightn't provide enough energy to power a 2.5" external HDD so I shouldn't host PS2 games in one when running OPL (I guess the same goes for hosting PS1 games in a 2.5" external HDD when running POPStarter). Others said this isn't true.

What about connecting a 2.5" external HDD to a nano router and playing PS1/PS2 games using POPStarter/OPL via SMB? Would the nano router provide enough energy to power the 2.5" external hDD or I'd have to use another power supply?

Also, shouldn't PS2 games hosted on a 2.5" external HDD connected to a PC or nano router ran on OPL via SMB have the same lag and/or slowdown than if hosted on the PC's HDD/SSD/SSHD/eMMC? If so, why did the game I tried on the latter had less lag and/or slowdown than in the former two?

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I was told the PS2 mightn't provide enough energy to power a 2.5" external HDD s[...]Others said this isn't true.
Well it depends, there are lots of different disks and different converters, they may be used with or without an Y cable, the fuse (or IC Link as $ony calls them) could have been bypassed, etc :)

What about connecting a 2.5" external HDD to a nano router
Same - it depends (though I suspect it won't try too hard to enforce USB standards, but at the same time it might not have a large power budget overall) - and most "travel routers" don't have a builtin NAS feature (though exceptions will surely exist, but for this specific example there's even a dedicated Pi linux distro - RetroNAS)

Also, shouldn't PS2 games stored on a 2.5" external HDD connected to a PC or nano router ran on OPL via SMB have the same lag and/or slowdown than if stored on the PC
Too many variables here too - different implementations of SMB, even if both use Samba there are tons of different versions and options, different operating systems with different filesystems (implementations) and caching, etc

Reactions: Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well it depends, there are lots of different disks and different converters, they may be used with or without an Y cable, the fuse (or IC Link as $ony calls them) could have been bypassed, etc :)

Same - it depends (though I suspect it won't try too hard to enforce USB standards, but at the same time it might not have a large power budget overall) - and most "travel routers" don't have a builtin NAS feature (though exceptions will surely exist, but for this specific example there's even a dedicated Pi linux distro - RetroNAS)

Too many variables here too - different implementations of SMB, even if both use Samba there are tons of different versions and options, different operating systems with different filesystems (implementations) and caching, etc

So, it depends on the 2.5" external HDD and nano router?

I was told using SMB these ways should be the same for all 3 cases.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So, it depends on the 2.5" external HDD and nano router?

I was told using SMB these ways should be the same for all 3 cases.
I have not had issues with 2.5" external drives on PS2. (besides the expected compatibility issues)
If yours works, and you don't hear any unusual sounds (problems spinning up, randomly spinning down and up, and such), I wouldn't worry about it.
External SSDs are cheap nowadays so I can suggest it as an alternative. I use a 480GB A-Data SD600Q on Wii U (which is notorious for underpowered USB ports) and it works perfectly. It will likely last much longer than a 2.5" HDD, which all seem to be low quality and they never last.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I have not had issues with 2.5" external drives on PS2. (besides the expected compatibility issues)
If yours works, and you don't hear any unusual sounds (problems spinning up, randomly spinning down and up, and such), I wouldn't worry about it.
External SSDs are cheap nowadays so I can suggest it as an alternative. I use a 480GB A-Data SD600Q on Wii U (which is notorious for underpowered USB ports) and it works perfectly. It will likely last much longer than a 2.5" HDD, which all seem to be low quality and they never last.

Are 1 TB external SSD cheap as well?

If it will work without additional power? Yep, correct

How can I know if the PS2 doesn't provide enough energy to power a 2.5" external HDD? The driver wouldn't appear in wLE or OPL (for instance) or it might appear from time to time and even successfully run PS1/PS2 games until they suddenly freeze?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Usually with your ear - it will make a sort of beeping noise as it fails to spin up and unpark the heads :)
A beeping noise is normal on some HDDs however. So it can be hard to tell the difference.
Are 1 TB external SSD cheap as well? May the 2.5" (and even 3.5") external HDD or USB flash drive go to sleep while connected to the PS2, PC or nano router making games crash in POPStarter/OPL?
Post automatically merged:

How can I know if the PS2 doesn't provide enough energy to power a 2.5" external HDD? The driver wouldn't appear in wLE or OPL (for instance) or it might appear from time to time and even successfully run PS1/PS2 games until they suddenly freeze?
1TB SSDs are still pretty reasonable.

Drive appearing intermittently and crashing is a sign of a failing drive, but could also be due to lack of power.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
A beeping noise is normal on some HDDs however. So it can be hard to tell the difference.

1TB SSDs are still pretty reasonable.

Drive appearing intermittently and crashing is a sign of a failing drive, but could also be due to lack of power.

If using the PC or a 2.5" external HDD directly connected to the PS2 or to the PC/nano router when running OPL or POPStarter, may it go to sleep, and if so, may PS1 and PS2 games freeze? And what if using a 3.5" external HDD (connected to the PC, nano router or PS2), an USB flash drive (connected to the PC, nano router or PS2), a microSD card connected via USB adapter (connected to the PC, nano router or PS2), an external SSD (connected to the PC, nano router or PS2) or a 2.5" external HDD connected via USB Y-cable/USB hub (connected to the PC, nano router or PS2)? I've read some reports claming an external HDD may go to sleep if connected to a nano router when running OPL.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol