PS2 Expansion Bays questions

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
What's the difference between the official Network Adaptor and the chinese's? Do the latter only provide a HDD/SSD/SSHD connection and no ethernet while the former provides both?

What's the official/chinese Network Adaptors maximum supported file size, 1 TB for the former and 2 TB for the latter?

Does the official Network Adaptor only support IDE HDDs/SSDs/SSHDs and the chinese's only support SATA's?

If replacing the official Network Adaptor's IDE adapter for a SATA one, will it make it support SATA HDDs/SSDS/SSHDs, and if so, would it support up to 2 TB SATA HDDs/SSDs/SSHDs like the chinese Network Adaptors?

Do all SATA adapters work on the official Network Adaptor?

Do official and chinese Network Adaptors support all IDE/SATA HDDs/SSDs/SSHDs?

How can I add PS1 and PS2 games to the PS2's HDD/SSD/SSHD? Do I always need to take it from the Network Adaptor and connect it to the PC or may it be done without taking it? If the latter, wouldn't it be too slow?

How can I make a HDD/SSD/SSHD work (according to what I read, in spite of being internal, the drive would have to stay outside the console) on the SCPH-70004 (PS2 Slim) model? Do I need to hardmod it?

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Do you mean the HDD adapter?

The main differences I've seen are that the 'knock offs' typically lack Ethernet capabilities, reportedly some have had stability issues as well but others I've read said theirs was fine. The Chinese ones also typically come with SATA connections whilst the official one has IDE, although the latter can be modified/adapters to work with SATA drives.

The maximum HDD size if you're just using OPL AFAIK is 2TB, but if you're looking at other software then the limits will vary depending on 48bit LBA support.

It is possible to use USB, but I've heard it's very slow and can affect games, particularly FMVs.

Some models of the slim do have the headers to add an IDE connector, but you may want to look at alternatives such as the MC2SIO or ethernet based options, but be aware that newer model slims are patched against FreeMCB, although alternative methods may exist e.g. freedvdboot.

Reactions: Snomannen_kalle

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

The main differences I've seen are that the 'knock offs' typically lack Ethernet capabilities, reportedly some have had stability issues as well but others I've read said theirs was fine. The Chinese ones also typically come with SATA connections whilst the official one has IDE, although the latter can be modified/adapters to work with SATA drives.

The maximum HDD size if you're just using OPL AFAIK is 2TB, but if you're looking at other software then the limits will vary depending on 48bit LBA support.

It is possible to use USB, but I've heard it's very slow and can affect games, particularly FMVs.

Some models of the slim do have the headers to add an IDE connector, but you may want to look at alternatives such as the MC2SIO or ethernet based options, but be aware that newer model slims are patched against FreeMCB, although alternative methods may exist e.g. freedvdboot.

I have a PS2 Slim and I use OPL via SMB (I used the FDVDB exploit). I've been told it's faster playing games in the PS2's HDD than via SMB.

Is MX4SIO compatible with all PS2s and faster than SMB? What's the maximum SD/microSD card storage the PS2 recognizes and is MX4SIO's PS1/PS2 game compatibility higher than SMB's?

EDIT: What's MC2SIO?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a PS2 Slim and I use OPL via SMB (I used the FDVDB exploit). I've been told it's faster playing games on an internal HDD than via SMB. What about external HDDs, is it possible to use them and is their maximum capacity 2 TB too?

Is MC2SIO compatible with all models and faster than using an internal HDD or at least SMB? Can one use OPL on it? What's the maximum microSD card capacity the PS2 recognizes and is its PS1/PS2 game compatibility greater than OPL via SMB/USB/internal HDD?

EDIT: What's MX4SIO?

What model PS2 have you got e.g. SCPH-90004?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
SCPH-75004. It looks like MC2SIO's game compatibility is lower than OPL SMB's. What'a the difference between MC2SIO and MX4SIO?

Honestly I'm not entirely sure, I haven't looked too deeply into it since I have no need for it. Even then with it (currently) being incompatible with your model, SMB loading may be the better option or going with something like swap disc or mechapwn if you're willing to use discs.

At least you can use Freemcboot/FMCB.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Honestly I'm not entirely sure, I haven't looked too deeply into it since I have no need for it. Even then with it (currently) being incompatible with your model, SMB loading may be the better option or going with something like swap disc or mechapwn if you're willing to use discs.

At least you can use Freemcboot/FMCB.

What are Swap Disc and MechaPwn? Does the PS2 need to be physically modified to use them?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry, what's incompatible with my PS2. What are Swap Disc and Mechapwn? Does one need to take the screws and modify the PS2 to use them?

Basically your model is incompatible with the SD2SIO/MX4ISO, for now at least (see the 'attention slim owners' tab in the post):
https://www.psx-place.com/threads/m...d-sd-driver-for-the-ps2-sio2-interface.29210/

Swap Disc is a physical alteration whilst Mechapwn is software, but makes permanent (but reversible) changes.

Mechapwn:
https://github.com/MechaResearch/MechaPwn

Swap Disc is another I've not done it myself, but involves tricking the system into thinking it's running legit media by swapping discs.

Just looking around though, apparently Freedvdboot can be used to create self bootable backups, although again I haven't looked into it.

Overall, if you want a pure softmod, OPL/SMB may be the way to go for now.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Basically your model is incompatible with the SD2SIO/MX4ISO, for now at least (see the 'attention slim owners' tab in the post):
https://www.psx-place.com/threads/m...d-sd-driver-for-the-ps2-sio2-interface.29210/

Swap Disc is a physical alteration whilst Mechapwn is software, but makes permanent (but reversible) changes.

Mechapwn:
https://github.com/MechaResearch/MechaPwn

Swap Disc is another I've not done it myself, but involves tricking the system into thinking it's running legit media by swapping discs.

Just looking around though, apparently Freedvdboot can be used to create self bootable backups, although again I haven't looked into it.

Overall, if you want a pure softmod, OPL/SMB may be the way to go for now.

Won't playing burned games wear the PS2's laser faster than original's even if they're more compatible than OPL and so I should avoid doing it?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Won't playing burned games degrade the PS2's laser faster than bought games even if they're more compatible than OPL and so I should avoid doing that?

If possible yes I’d go for a discless option, I’m just mentioning the disc based alternatives in case the discless ones don’t work for you.

Reactions: Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If possible yes I’d go for a discless option, I’m just mentioning the disc based alternatives in case the discless ones don’t work for you.

Yes, but unfortunately, there are some games which are incompatible on OPL via SMB. Why do burned games wear the PS2's laser faster than original's?

So, the ideal solution is to use an HDD on the PS2 Fat?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, but unfortunately, there are some games which are incompatible with OPL. Why do burned games wear the PS2's laser than bought ones?

So, the ideal solution is to use an internal HDD on the PS2 Fat?

AFAIK burned media puts more strain on the laser and again AFAIK currently the best setup is Fat + internal.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
AFAIK burned media puts more strain on the laser and again AFAIK currently the best setup is Fat + internal.

Why does it wear the laser faster?

Is the maximum HDD/SSD/SSHD file size determined by the PS2, the IDE/SATA adapter, the Network Adaptor or OPL?

What's the official Network Adaptor maximum supported IDE HDD/SSD/SSHD file size, 1 TB?

If replacing the official Network Adaptor's IDE adapter for a SATA one, will it make the official Network Adaptor support SATA HDDs/SSDs/SSHDs, and if so, would it support up to 2 TB SATA HDDs/SSDs/SSHDs like the chinese Network Adaptors?

Do all SATA adapters work on the official Network Adaptor?

Does the official/chinese Network Adaptors support all IDE/SATA HDDs/SSDs/SSHDs?

How can I add games to the HDD/SSD/SSHD? Do I always need to take it from the Network Adaptor and connect it to the PC or may I copy games from the PC to it? If the latter, wouldn't it be too slow?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Why does it put more strain on the laser?

Is the maximum HDD file size determined by the PS2, the HDD board, the network adapter or OPL?

What's PS2's Sony's Network Adapter maximum supported IDE HDD file size, 1 TB?

If replacing PS2's Sony's Network Adapter's IDE HDD board for a SATA HDD will it make the PS2's Sony's Network Adapter support SATA HDDs, and if so, would it support up to 2 TB SATA HDDs like the PS2 chinese Network Adapter?

Do all SATA HDD boards work on the PS2's Sony's Network Adapter?

Do PS2's Sony's/PS2's chinese Network Adapter support all IDE/SATA HDD models?

How can I add games to the HDD? Do I always need to take it from the Network Adapter and connect it to the PC or I may I transfer games from the PC to it? If the latter, wouldn't it be too slow?

Laser- the common reason I read is that it's because it's harder to read in comparison to pressed discs.

HDD size- I believe it's down to software, for sure with the LBA issue, but I don't know about the 2TB limit (PS2 FS? Partition Limitations? (think MBR limits)).

I don't believe IDE or SATA is the issue, just the software side and I can't comment on if all drives will/will not work. In the past I know some drives wouldn't physically fit in the bay which was the main compatibility issue, although this was some old WD IDE drives IIRC.

Adding games- there are a few of different methods, I'll link to a guide but it's been a while since I've done this myself:
https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=43718#p43718

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Laser- the common reason I read is that it's because it's harder to read in comparison to pressed discs.

HDD size- I believe it's down to software, for sure with the LBA issue, but I don't know about the 2TB limit (PS2 FS? Partition Limitations? (think MBR limits)).

I don't believe IDE or SATA is the issue, just the software side and I can't comment on if all drives will/will not work. In the past I know some drives wouldn't physically fit in the bay which was the main compatibility issue, although this was some old WD IDE drives IIRC.

Adding games- there are a few of different methods, I'll link to a guide but it's been a while since I've done this myself:
https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=43718#p43718

Why do we have to set an IP address on OPL on the PS2 (to connect the PC to the PS2 to upload files)? After connecting an ethernet cable to the PS3, PS4, PS5 and PS TV, they get an IP address, so I don't know why the PS2 doesn't after connecting an ethernet cable to it.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Why do we have to set an IP address on OPL on the PS2 (to connect the PC to the PS2 to transfer files)? On the PS3, PS4, PS5 and PS TV after connecting a lan cable it already has one, so I don't know why connecting a lan cable to the PS2 doesn't assign an IP address to the PS2.

Leaving it as simply as possible, my guess would be that it was simply deemed not worth it by the coders of OPL, particularly since you need to know the IP address anyway to use the server.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Leaving it as simply as possible, my guess would be that it was simply deemed not worth it by the coders of OPL, particularly since you need to know the IP address anyway to use the server.

Sorry, I didn't understand. Does a PS2 connected to the internet have an IP addres, regardless if it has OPL or not or if it's even hacked with FMCB or not? If so, why isn't that IP address used by OPL? Is it impossible to know the PS2's IP address, thus having to set a new one on OPL?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry, I didn't understand. Does a lan-connected PS2 have an IP, regardless if it has OPL or not or if it's even hacked or not? If so, why isn't that IP address used by OPL? Is it possible not being able to know the PS2' IP address thus setting a new one in OPL?

From what I understand, the software currently running handles any networking, which in this case is OPL.

The PS2 by itself lacks the ability to handle networking, unlike the PS3, etc. which is why you don't have to worry about this on the newer systems.

Bearing in mind I'm also trying to keep things simple in this explanation.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
From what I understand, the software currently running handles any networking, which in this case is OPL.

The PS2 by itself lacks the ability to handle networking, unlike the PS3, etc. which is why you don't have to worry about this on the newer systems.

Bearing in mind I'm also trying to keep things simple in this explanation.

But when uploading files from the PC to the PS3 via FTP it's necessary to set an IP address on both PC and PS3.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
But when transferring files from the PC to the PS3 vis FTP it's necessary to set an IP address on both PC and PS3.

Sorry, I didn't realise you weren't using a router, normally a domestic router handles things like assigning IP addresses via DHCP.

Either way, it's still down to OPL to handle networking AFAIK. So if you're wondering why OPL requires a manual (static) IP address, it's down to OPL.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up