PS2 FAT - Transfer games from PC to SSD?

ZartudatuGaming

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have the OG Network Adapter for my FAT PS2 with the Ethernet ports and IDE drive connections, I also got a SATA one but sadly it does not having working ports for Ethernet. I'm thinking of buying the board on Aliexpress to mod my OG one but is it possible to transfer games from my PC via ethernet to my SSD? Or is it just a streaming thing?

The main reason I want to do this is to avoid wear and tear by manually unplugging and re-plugging in my SSD along with the adapter. I only got a 500GB SSD and I like to cycle a lot of games to try.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
1) you can get mod kits for the network adapter, but be careful as I accidentally shorted the 12v rail on mine so now I have to use 2.5" drives. Had I put electrical tape to isolate the board this likely wouldn't have happened.
2) yes there is software which can move games over a network such as HDL dump/HDL dumb, although I don't know what their HDD size limit is. Iirc opl has so e server built in but I've never used it.
3) Finances permitting, another option may be just buying a relatively cheap 2tb HDD/SSD and loading all the games, although this is a bad idea if you plan on using hddosd as it's slow to load.

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ZartudatuGaming

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The SSD is in your ps2? Yes you can, but you said that the SATA adapter that you have doesn't have ethernet, so you need one if you want to do that.

I don't understand the question.
I have two adapters, the OG PS2 Network one with the IDE and Ethernet ports. I can use this board to add SATA support while retaining ethernet. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002912278512.html

My second adapter I'm using is just the SATA one without the ports, the GameStar one.

My goal is to transfer games to my SATA drive without unplugging it all the time.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was the adapter I was looking at - I also only use SSDs. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002912278512.html

There isn't much to this, just attach the ribbon and screw in the PCB.
Yes, you'd need the OEM network adapter to switch the old IDE board with this SATA one.
- but I should ask what the transfer speed is with the PS2 via Ethernet?
Not bad, iirc you get around ~5mbps or something, but it's much faster if you just connect the ssd to an enclosure and transfer to it. I recommend doing that if you plan on transferring alot of games.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I accidentally shorted the 12v rail on mine so now I have to use 2.5" drives.
How did that happen, if you don't mind me asking?
Had I put electrical tape to isolate the board this likely wouldn't have happened.
Oh, so that happened because of the SATA board? Could that happen with IDE drives too (i don't think)?
I isolated mine with a plastic caddy i DYI'ed, also to keep the 2.5" hdd from pulling down on the the connector..
My goal is to transfer games to my SATA drive without unplugging it all the time.
You don't have to, transfer as many as you can the first time, after you can add/remove etc. games through ethernet so they won't take long, just my 2 cents.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, so that happened because of the SATA board? Could that happen with IDE drives too (i don't think)?
I isolated mine with a plastic caddy i DYI'ed, also to keep the 2.5" hdd from pulling down on the the connector...

I had tried to 3D print something but nothing seemed to fit, I had used it without a bracket for years without issue and it just never occured to me until after I tried to test it and the 3.5" drive wouldn't spin up.

Fortunately I had a spare 2.5" drive to test with.

Reactions: CoolMe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto