Gaming Oh, so Nintendo can remotely delete your games!

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Of course you own the rights to your digital purchases, duh! There is no such thing as digital downloads being a service nor their licenses can be revoked. What really happened is that the OP cheated so Nintendo penalized him. Nintendo does have the ability to remotely delete your games, but they won't do it because it's against the law. By the way, to people arguing that Physical copies are more secure, Nintendo could just as well block your specific game cartridge just like they do with flashcards.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Digital is a sickness of consumers rights to ownership and people need to stop supporting it before it's too late

That's why Steam is my only means of digital gaming. Yes, it's no physical, yes, but should Steam decide to deactivate the licenses for some reason, there are ways of being able to play the games you though. I won't get into detail as I would be, you know, stepping into forbidden territory. As Jeff Goldblum said in Jurassic Park, "Nature (in this case, the end user) will find a way..". In general, digital games has some advantages, such as saving shelf space and being more convenient, but on the downside, if the company shuts down its servers, you can kiss that game goodbye. I couldn't give a damn about digital downloads for the most part. As for them blocking physical carts, that's what hackers are for.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
he's not bitching that he lost the games because he cheated the system (which in theory he did)..he's showing us that Nintendo in general has the power to revoke licenses or take away downloaded titles from your handheld.

wonder if a eShop title had an exploit...would Nintendo remove them remotely without your authorization??

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that reminds me... i think sony kinda did the same thing to me but i payed money for the games i called them up and they said they will look into it and they never did...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
But Spotpass is the passive download, right? Meaning it connects to Nintendo servers, downloading firmware updates, Swapnotes, other Spotpass downloads... You probably meant Streetpass.
Derp. Yes, yes I did.
wonder if a eShop title had an exploit...would Nintendo remove them remotely without your authorization??

No. There's no legal reason that allows them to do so - the only instance in which they can revoke a license is when the license was acquired illigitimately or the rules contained within it have been broken.

Reactions: Margen67

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You can't actually flash it to have the old games, right?
Seeing as you can restore old NAND backups to get to a lower CFW, I assume it brings everything including the licenses for digital games you later migrated to another 3DS if that's what you mean.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They could brick your whole system if they wanted to, don't you think they can blacklist a game cartridge?

Actually, they can't blacklist a game cartridge nor can they brick a specific 3DS, at least not without making a huge fuss. They'd have to broadcast an update that would have a very specific Nintendo 3DS in mind and a very specific cartridge in mind and make all users in a given region and ask the users to install it so that the single user has the game blocked. They can't pick and choose 3DS'es to update - this is entirely different from revoking a license that's stored on their server.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Actually, they can't blacklist a game cartridge nor can they brick a specific 3DS, at least not without making a huge fuss. They'd have to broadcast an update that would have a very specific Nintendo 3DS in mind and a very specific cartridge in mind and make all users in a given region and ask the users to install it so that the single user has the game blocked. They can't pick and choose 3DS'es to update - this is entirely different from revoking a license that's stored on their server.

I meant they could blacklist an specific game cartridge for all 3DSes. And I am pretty sure they can also brick an specific 3DS, I know they won't because of law issues, just like Microsoft won't brick your computer for using pirate software but doesn't mean they cannot only that they may not.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I meant they could blacklist an specific game cartridge for all 3DSes. And I am pretty sure they can also brick an specific 3DS, I know they won't because of law issues, just like Microsoft won't brick your computer for using pirate software but doesn't mean they cannot only that they may not.
The way this infrastructure works is that servers in given regions "raise" a flag with the latest firmware revision number. Upon connecting to the service, the 3DS verifies whether its firmware matches that value or not - if it doesn't, it begins to download said firmware and once it is downloaded, it starts bugging you with the update prompt because it's a legal requirement to ask the user for permission.

This works in the exact same fashion on the DSi and in no way allows bricking a specific 3DS or DSi without hard-coding which 3DS/DSi they mean in the update itself. This is not being done because it's a hassle that'd artificially inflate the size of the firmware by adding more and more offenders to the blacklist.

DS games with exploitable headers used for launching flashcarts on the DSi were blacklisted in the same way - the list was embedded into the firmware. The problem here is that there's a handful of "offending" games wheras "offending" gamers can be counted in millions and even if you do create a blacklist like that and miraculously find space to keep it, you have to keep all the offending numbers for good because you literally have no guarantee whatsoever that the offending users will agree to an update... which they have to agree to as a legal requirement.

It is infinitely easier to disable a given eShop account, thus invalidating whatever content was purchased on it or banning a user server-side using an account system (which the 3DS does not support - it only supports eShop accounts and only server-side, the rest is still handled with generated Friend Codes).

The method you refer to is technologically feasable, however crude and ineffective enough that you'd have to be an idiot to choose it over far better methods of banning and suspending, much like it's technically feasable to juggle pork sausages using your ears except juggling rubber balls with your hands is probably much easier and usually yeilds better results. :)

Reactions: TripleSMoon

iamisaac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought 2 codes off of ebay and redeemed them both. They both credited my account but I have not spent the money yet. Should I be cautious here?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So whats the conclusion here? He abused the system, Nintendo saw, and righted the wrong? Not "remotely" deleting his games?
Practically? Yes. He redeemed more codes than he was supposed to, spent the money that didn't belong to him and had his eShop account terminated. Because the eShop account was terminated, the allocated download tickets for the games became invalid and as such the games were no longer popping up on his Home Screen. No NSA-style monitoring or breach of privacy, I don't think - the game files probably even remained on the SD card, they were just no longer bootable due to the revoked license, unless the system purges such data, tagging it as "corrupt".

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FWIW, the Wii works the same way.

I made a NAND backup of my Wii, then did a Wii to Wii U transfer of my purchased games. After that I restored my NAND. The games were back, but as soon as I opened the Wii Shop Channel, they disappeared. So in that instance, it "checks in" with Nintendo when you connect to the shop (I was able to open the Internet channel just fine and surf the web), it sees that you have no-longer-valid license tickets for your channels, and removes them.

I wasn't really expecting it to work, it was more just pure curiosity that I wanted to see how the Wii U transfer works. I've got all my purchased games on the Wii U so it's no biggie (plus I can just install them as .wad files if I really wanted to)

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, Nintendo does have the ability to remove games if you abuse promotions or something goes wrong with credit card data. I don't see how Nintendo is in the wrong.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Lol Ken will never eat an omelette again lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Actually ihops omlettes still hit haven't had one in forever
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    The steak one is amazing
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn near $20 so fuck them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I second that, they are good. I always get the steak and add mushrooms to it also. But yea been awhile since had myself. I used to go there every morn for coffee and breakfast, meet with my work crew, but we all stop going, too expensive.
    +1
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I'm scarred for life.
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    See you guys, I'll get lost for another month. Maybe the rest of the year.
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See you tomorrow
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Peace. Take care, no more searching tonight. You gonna have nightmares.
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    See you tomorrow.
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    did she just vomit on the chat before leaving
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    why are girls doing this nowadays? is this some weird way of showing dominance?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, I put her outside though, then cleaned it up.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ah yes the unique power of girls vomiting on you
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel:
    im gonna puke
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Laughing face + 2
    +2
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    finally, a zelda game where you play as zelda
    it only took 40 years
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @The Real Jdbye, They finally got the naming convention right.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now lets rename all of the old Zelda games to The Legend of Link. Lol.
    they kinda did that with zelda 2 at least it had link in the title
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ssDGBTssUI