Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, i deleted neogamma from sd root and apps folder awaiting for some help on here... Please!

Neogamma is outdated. Do you have an apps folder in the root of your SD card? If not, you need to make one and put your usb loaders and other shit in there. And make a wad folder while you're at it. And if you go into WiiFlow, which I highly recommend instead of USB Loader Gx, then press the home button and Install a Disc will be one of the options on there.

Silver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the replies guys. Did the softmod yesterday, used modmii and the letterbomb... installed most recent cios's (I assume) as it was only yesterday.

The hardmod was a wasabi dx chip with 3.0 update. Backup discs used to work but then stopped for some reason some time ago, which is why after blowing the dust from the wii I decided to go the softmod route yesterday..

Stopped the HBC blackscreening after I took off neogamma. Put it on again (this time with the wad forwarder) and seems to load up ok - no blackscreening problems, but backups still not working - either says that disc times out or gives me a message saying the disc could not be read, refer to instructions manual blah blah blah... any thoughts?

P.S. have priiloader and bootmii (on ios) on there too - was done as part of the modmii guide (also did the nand backup).

By the way I also have the apps folder and a wad folder, Have the basic apps I needed in there (ios236 installer, priiloader, usbloader, wiiflow, MMM 13.4, etc) Only usbloader showed up on wii system menu (because it had a forwarder in the wad folder for it I think). Sorry am new to this. Will Wiiflow let me load backup discs too or is it just for sd/usb?

What other apps/wads would I need to install (or are recommended). Will discontinue/delete neogamma if it is outdated

Silver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
not wbfs format... the backups were burned years ago using imgburn (but the discs are still in good shape). Used iso's and burned them on verbatim-R at slow speed. The backups used to work before.

So is there no way to get the old backup discs to work? will I have to somehow put them into wbfs format?

Silver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
And if you go into WiiFlow, which I highly recommend instead of USB Loader Gx, then press the home button and Install a Disc will be one of the options on there.

In WiiFlow now, pressed home button to install game (by the way I have a backup disc in the wii at the moment) but is asking where to install (game partition): USB1, 3, 5, 7, or "1 OAIFDECODER"... ?

As I mentioned in my original post, I don't have a spare hdd to use at the moment (otherwise I would load via usb). It is something I will look to do in the future, just wanted to run from these backup discs for now (as my kids know what they are doing with putting discs in and just playing - as opposed to navigating round the new softmod/HBC menus)

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not wbfs format... the backups were burned years ago using imgburn (but the discs are still in good shape). Used iso's and burned them on verbatim-R at slow speed. The backups used to work before.

So is there no way to get the old backup discs to work? will I have to somehow put them into wbfs format?

Yeah; convert the iso's to wbfs using Wii Games Manager: I have a converter that automatically splits the file, but I'm not sure where I got it from.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In WiiFlow now, pressed home button to install game (by the way I have a backup disc in the wii at the moment) but is asking where to install (game partition): USB1, 3, 5, 7, or "1 OAIFDECODER"... ?

As I mentioned in my original post, I don't have a spare hdd to use at the moment (otherwise I would load via usb). It is something I will look to do in the future, just wanted to run from these backup discs for now (as my kids know what they are doing with putting discs in and just playing - as opposed to navigating round the new softmod/HBC menus)

USB1; I also remember CleanRip for ripping games...

Silver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
are Wii Games Manager and Clean rip apps to use in HBC or programs for PC?

When I do get a hdd is it ok to format to NTFS instead of FAT32 (because I read somewhere that there are one or two games which are dual layer and end up being just over the 4gb mark and end up having to be split or something whereas with ntfs it could just keep it as one large(r) file? Or does Wiiflow not like the NTFS format?

Also, by the way, If I don't have an external hdd plugged in via USB where is the backup disc installing onto (from Wiiflow)?

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are Wii Games Manager and Clean rip apps to use in HBC or programs for PC?

When I do get a hdd is it ok to format to NTFS instead of FAT32 (because I read somewhere that there are one or two games which are dual layer and end up being just over the 4gb mark and end up having to be split or something whereas with ntfs it could just keep it as one large(r) file? Or does Wiiflow not like the NTFS format?

Also, by the way, If I don't have an external hdd plugged in via USB where is the backup disc installing onto (from Wiiflow)?

Wii Games Manager is for the PC and CleanRip is a homebrew channel app. NTFS and WBFS are okay for loading Wii games, but the preferred method is Fat32 because it's really versatile. The backup disc installs just like a regular disc; a save slot is created in the regular Wii's save data. You might want to get your HDD soon so you can get your game to play without the disc being in the drive. I don't know if WiiFlow likes NTFS-formatted hard drives; I've never tried it.

Edit: One of my games gave me that disc read error; I ripped it using CleanRip and it loaded just fine.

Silver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The backup disc installs just like a regular disc; a save slot is created in the regular Wii's save data. You might want to get your HDD soon so you can get your game to play without the disc being in the drive. I don't know if WiiFlow likes NTFS-formatted hard drives; I've never tried it.

Edit: One of my games gave me that disc read error; I ripped it using CleanRip and it loaded just fine.

At the moment I can't even get my games to play WITH the disc being in the drive!

So wait - Its possible for me to use Wiiflow to install a game (by pressing home button) and it will install/work without having a usb hdd it will install using save slots/Wii save data?

I will check out Wii Games Manager (and clean rip) when I get my hdd and start loading via usb, cos I take it there isn't much use in using those without hdd/usb loading.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So wait - Its possible for me to use Wiiflow to install a game (by pressing home button) and it will install/work without having a usb hdd it will install using save slots/Wii save data?

I will check out Wii Games Manager (and clean rip) when I get my hdd and start loading via usb, cos I take it there isn't much use in using those without hdd/usb loading.

WiiFlow... there're five settings, accessed by pressing B... wii, gamecube, emulators, channels, programs on the hbc... I believe the one you want is the channel; that's where the disc drive on the Wii menu shows up... if it doesn't show up in there, then you've got a bad rip... once you get your hard drive, then you can install it on there

Silver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
WiiFlow... there're five settings, accessed by pressing B... wii, gamecube, emulators, channels, programs on the hbc... I believe the one you want is the channel; that's where the disc drive on the Wii menu shows up... if it doesn't show up in there, then you've got a bad rip... once you get your hard drive, then you can install it on there
Thanks, didn't realise there was those settings in there...

tried the settings to access the game/disc in wiiflow, one game tried loading - (loading bar came up) then went to black screen with error message saying disc could not be read, another game just came up with an error message after inactivity (saying disc open failed), will try with some more... The thing I don't understand is that at some point in the past all these games used to work, so unsure of how it could have been due to a bad rip... I still have the original iso's so could always try burning again (although not sure if that's futile), will carry on trying some more games meanwhile...

*EDIT - tried another game, similar problem to what used to happen before doing the softmod (game loaded up, got through intro/main menu and then screen goes black and says: "The disc could not be read. Refer to the Wii Operations Manual for details") - as if the Wii Operations Manual is gonna help me!?

Defiledhero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I recently decided to play my Back wards compatible Black Wii again, and I came across a problem. Last year, I modded it with Letterbomb and haven't updated since. I had downloaded the homebrew channel, wiiMC, and usb loader GX. When I used to play it a year ago, everything worked fine, ISO's worked and so did emulators from my SD Card.

Now, I try playing again and I have NOTHING changed since then, and nothing works. The Homebrew channel doesn't show anything, just bubbles and the settings. I have my SD Card loaded and still nothing.

I believe I may know my external harddrives problem, because when I connect it to my computer, it says that it needs to be reformatted. But, all my original Wii games were on there. Either way, when I connect it to the Wii, no games appear.

So you may know my question, how do I fix this situation?

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It is probably a problem with your hard drive. The blank homebrew channel means that you have no apps on whatever device you have selected. Because there is a problem with your hard drive, the homebrew channel won't be able to find any of the apps on it. You are probably going to have to format the drive like windows wants you to, and then re-obtain the ISOs and apps. You could try to use a data recovery program, but there is a chance it won't work, and even if it does, a lot of your files may be corrupt.

Defiledhero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I will try reformatting my harddrive...but after that, are there any mandatory files that I would need to re-download onto it in order for the Wii modded extras to work? Also, to be compatible with the Wii, do I need to Reformat to ExFat or NTFS?

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
his backups are disk backups. he mentioned earlier that he doesn't have a hard drive presently that he can use.

Yeah, I know that; it shouldn't make his discs not run, though. A backup disc is just like a regular disc: or, maybe his disc drive doesn't work anymore... that's probably it. My disc drive doesn't work; but I didn't do anything to mess it up. It just stopped working...

Reactions: _acid_

_acid_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I know that; it shouldn't make his discs not run, though. A backup disc is just like a regular disc: or, maybe his disc drive doesn't work anymore... that's probably it. My disc drive doesn't work; but I didn't do anything to mess it up. It just stopped working...

yeah, worst case is that his disk drive is dead. happened to me once too

Thanks, didn't realise there was those settings in there...

tried the settings to access the game/disc in wiiflow, one game tried loading - (loading bar came up) then went to black screen with error message saying disc could not be read, another game just came up with an error message after inactivity (saying disc open failed), will try with some more... The thing I don't understand is that at some point in the past all these games used to work, so unsure of how it could have been due to a bad rip... I still have the original iso's so could always try burning again (although not sure if that's futile), will carry on trying some more games meanwhile...

*EDIT - tried another game, similar problem to what used to happen before doing the softmod (game loaded up, got through intro/main menu and then screen goes black and says: "The disc could not be read. Refer to the Wii Operations Manual for details") - as if the Wii Operations Manual is gonna help me!?

can i ask if your legit disks works normally?

_acid_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I will try reformatting my harddrive...but after that, are there any mandatory files that I would need to re-download onto it in order for the Wii modded extras to work? Also, to be compatible with the Wii, do I need to Reformat to ExFat or NTFS?

I would go with NTFS. all that you need for your wii, is a folder called wbfs in the root. you can put your games in like this:
USB root/wbfs/gameIDfolder/game files(ISO or WBFS)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol