Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I have run the wizard and have the sd card? How do I get it to run now?
It should have generated a guide for you based on what you needed (or given an option to make a guide ... it's on the same screen where it asks you if you're ready to download so you can get to it again without having to actually download again) it should tell you exactly what you need to do to install what it has downloaded for you in your specific case.

After that you should be good to go.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
im sorry i know this is not the EoF but i cant help it

can i play ps3 game on my modded wii
Theoretically Yes :P BUT you have to write your own emulator and port it to Wii homebrew

OR

You can write a devolution style virtual machine that will patch the slight differences in assembly code between the two processors and then run it natively (just emulating the peripherals)

Either way it will run REALLY SLOW and you have A LOT of work ahead of you. (The other way around ... call it WiiS3 ... might be a little more worth the effort but still a lot of work.)

EDIT : Oh yeah, and you'd need to throw some virtual memory in there, too.

b2cool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the safest way to update a hacked wii so i can use wii shop channel?
I think it's on the 2nd last update that nintendo came out(before WiiU happend)

mystery01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So get this, I use WadMii to unpack a file, then it won't let me simply repack the same thing. Same error with ShowMiiWads. I did it fine just a week ago, too. Why can't I pack Wads anymore?

goodros

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am trying to copy backups of gamediscs from my wbfs drive to an ntfs disk for safekeeping. These are games I installed myself from my own discs. Using Wii Backup Manager, I have tried to [transfer] -> [ISO] -> [folder on my ntfs drive]. When the process starts, it creates a tmp file in the location I am dumping to, but when the process completes, the file disappears and no ISO has been created. Am I misunderstanding the use of this function? Or is something goofy going on with my WBM application?

soulsector

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hello everyone, I could use some help here.
I wanted to softmod my 4.3E Wii so I followed tutorial on Youtube. I downloaded a file from letterbomb and put it on micro SD, put micro SD in my Wii and installed Homebrew Channel. i believe it also installed BootMii in the process. (i don't know what is that.. :/ ) so, everything went completely fine there.
next step in tutorial instructed me to download some kind of hack pack which i believe is set of additional software needed to play Wii games from USB. Unfortunately, the download link doesn't work for me so i had to stop there.
so, can someone tell me what is the rest of work i have to do so i can play games from USB. again, i have only Homebrew Channel installed and i believe it also installed BootMii in the process... that's all.
Thank you for you help and sorry if I mispelled something! Cheers!

JSamide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a metroid prime trilogy wbfs that I tried to load with cfg. I got an error that said num sector does not match. how do I fix this?

gbands

Trophies
XP
Country
I just recently got a Wii which I was able to softmod successfully using wiihacks softmod any wii guide. I'm able to play backups and vc successfully. Recently tho i ran out of space for vc games on my sd card so I've been looking for ways to run vc/wiiware on my external drive, (since i think 160gb is enough for both wii backups and vc/wiiware wads) and found out that I could use emunand and it's better than using the real nand since it will wear out eventually if i keep loading apps. I'm really really new to console modding and it's a bit hard to wrap my head around all the emunand options I've been seeing and don't know where to start. I've seen mightychannels, neek20, wiiflow and all the tutorials still aren't very clear to me. So I wanted to ask what's the best emunand to use so I can do a specific tut search instead of doing just a generic emunand tut search and getting my head blown off.

Also, I think my usbloaders use the sd card I used to softmod the wii to work. Is that using the real nand as well and wearing it away? I just want a bigger space for all my apps/games without wearing off the wii's lifespan. Sorry for the really noob questions.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I just recently got a Wii which I was able to softmod successfully using wiihacks softmod any wii guide. I'm able to play backups and vc successfully. Recently tho i ran out of space for vc games on my sd card so I've been looking for ways to run vc/wiiware on my external drive, (since i think 160gb is enough for both wii backups and vc/wiiware wads) and found out that I could use emunand and it's better than using the real nand since it will wear out eventually if i keep loading apps. I'm really really new to console modding and it's a bit hard to wrap my head around all the emunand options I've been seeing and don't know where to start. I've seen mightychannels, neek20, wiiflow and all the tutorials still aren't very clear to me. So I wanted to ask what's the best emunand to use so I can do a specific tut search instead of doing just a generic emunand tut search and getting my head blown off.

Also, I think my usbloaders use the sd card I used to softmod the wii to work. Is that using the real nand as well and wearing it away? I just want a bigger space for all my apps/games without wearing off the wii's lifespan. Sorry for the really noob questions.
Since you mentioned you already are using a USB Loader (which doesn't wear your NAND away), a lot of them can run WiiWare and VC came straight from the loader off of the emuNAND without as much complicated setup. If you're using USB Loader GX or WiiFlow, from right inside the loader they can make a copy of your Wii's real NAND and copy it to the SD or USB drive and then just run them from there. GX even has an option to install additional WAD files right to the emuNAND from inside the loader. (I'm not sure about PostLoader or CFG because I don't use them myself but they might have that option, too.)

That simpler method of using an emuNAND, that uses the same cIOS that the USB loaders already use, will work with most games but there are a few that it won't work with.

For those, if you have any of them, you could just make them be the only ones that you have in your real NAND or you could use neek2o for them (Mighty Channels is a bit outdated.) It can open the same copied NAND that the USB loader way does but it will takes a little bit more time to start up since it actually works by running the copied system menu from the emuNAND and having IT fun the VC or WiiWare games.
The easiest way to get neek2o set up is to have ModMii do it for you.

If you get neek2o set up you can also have WiiFlow or PostLoader tell neek2o to run the individual VC or WiiWare channels directly to make the startup times faster.

That's a basic summary of the different options you have. Feel free to ask any further questions you have along the way.

Reactions: gbands

bigredcape

such a noob, but one day....i'll be not-a-noob.
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay so a while ago I modded my wii. With the help of you guys so for that I say thanks!Quick quiestion-

i wanted to install the netflix channel, so i updated my wiishop channel. All my homebrew channels are working just fine, wiiMC is working, everything except for my USBloaderGX. I can't access my games that are on my external hhd. i used to, but now I can't.
when I go into the homebrew channel to check my cIOS it says i something weird.
whenever i try to play games like i used to through my usbloader i get a massive code dump.

will you please help me? Thank you so much for your help!

thanks

BRC

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
okay so a while ago I modded my wii. With the help of you guys so for that I say thanks!Quick quiestion-

i wanted to install the netflix channel, so i updated my wiishop channel. All my homebrew channels are working just fine, wiiMC is working, everything except for my USBloaderGX. I can't access my games that are on my external hhd. i used to, but now I can't.
when I go into the homebrew channel to check my cIOS it says i something weird.
whenever i try to play games like i used to through my usbloader i get a massive code dump.

will you please help me? Thank you so much for your help!

thanks

BRC
An update usually get's rid of your cIOS which USB loaders need, replacing it with a stub IOS. The simplest answer is just to remod with ModMii.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
how do i remod?
Download and run ModMii for Windows, run it and run the wizard at the top (the one that says "start here") and answer the questions. It will download everything you need and you can tell it to give you a guide on how to use it. The rest is just step by step.

gbands

Trophies
XP
Country
Since you mentioned you already are using a USB Loader (which doesn't wear your NAND away), a lot of them can run WiiWare and VC came straight from the loader off of the emuNAND without as much complicated setup. If you're using USB Loader GX or WiiFlow, from right inside the loader they can make a copy of your Wii's real NAND and copy it to the SD or USB drive and then just run them from there. GX even has an option to install additional WAD files right to the emuNAND from inside the loader. (I'm not sure about PostLoader or CFG because I don't use them myself but they might have that option, too.)

That simpler method of using an emuNAND, that uses the same cIOS that the USB loaders already use, will work with most games but there are a few that it won't work with.

For those, if you have any of them, you could just make them be the only ones that you have in your real NAND or you could use neek2o for them (Mighty Channels is a bit outdated.) It can open the same copied NAND that the USB loader way does but it will takes a little bit more time to start up since it actually works by running the copied system menu from the emuNAND and having IT fun the VC or WiiWare games.
The easiest way to get neek2o set up is to have ModMii do it for you.

If you get neek2o set up you can also have WiiFlow or PostLoader tell neek2o to run the individual VC or WiiWare channels directly to make the startup times faster.

That's a basic summary of the different options you have. Feel free to ask any further questions you have along the way.

thanks. I'm using cfg and gx as my loaders. I got rid of wiiflow since I found it too slow. I'll give gx a try and hopefully it works :)

bigredcape

such a noob, but one day....i'll be not-a-noob.
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, I'm using usb loader gx. so basically, if i am understanding you correctly, (im pretty sure i'm not but i'm trying) is that i need to dl a new emuNAND? I liked USB Loader GX because it was fast. Should i just rollback my wii's update?
Or should I DL something else entirely?
currently my wii is on v4.3U, all the homebrew channels work, it's just the usbLoder GX that isn't working, where I nornally would see the games, i get a code dump, every time i try to update from within the current loaders, including the homebrew channel, it gives me an option to change or update, but then wiimote automatically disconnects and i can't do anything.

this is pretty frustrating.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/86HNVHp9ts4?si=ZtnzsnhlNxNN-Fnu