Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I suppose posting in the "NOOB PARADISE" thread is a relatively incorrect place for me. A little bit of background first;
I've been on the wii hacking scene since the homebrew channel first came out way back when, and my wii has been through harsh modifications (atleast, I'd call them harsh,
I often modded my wii without really reading instructions, and just relying on my backup files), it's had many, many things installed and uninstalled on it, and I've come to a point
where my wii can't boot GC discs, or GC files at all.

It can't read legitimate GC discs via the disc channel (tested with a copy of Animal Crossing and Pokemon Colosseum, AC working on my Gamecube 100% positive)
It can't read backup discs that have worked in the past (over 5 games tested on full-size DVD-Rs)
It can't read via DIOS MIOS in CFG Loader.
It can read regular Wii game backups (just booted Skyward Sword)
It can usb load Wii games.

And one thing is consistent among the many black screens that all the gamecube tests brought: a black screen, three small clicking noises on the TV, and then silence.

Doin' a syscheck now (my first ever...)
...Oh, it seems to be hanging at 3/4ths done; It reads "Testing IOS vulnerabilities" (and has for about 3+ minutes)
What's the easiest alternative method to check files to see what it's hanging on so I can clean up the corrupted files for a successful second try at a syscheck?
(I'm thinking it might be a missing bootmii hang, I had bootmii once, but now I only run priiloader, or whatever the console-esque startup screen is; I still need to check what that's installed under though.)

EDIT: After another hour of googling, I've come to the conclusion that I've probably run into a cMIOS error somewhere somehow. Not really sure how, considering I used the same GC backup method forever, but I'm installing patched cMIOS v10 now.

EDIT: Progress! After the cMIOS v10 seemingly did nothing, I used an old v4 installer, and managed to boot Pokemon XD via a backup DVD-R using GC Backup Launcher 0.2 (it just sits on my system menu, so I use it for tests sometimes). Time to test USB backups!
No one here may have helped me, but writing it all down sure did, so thanks for years of information, GBAtemp!

EDIT: CFG USB Loader hangs, even with a legitimate gamecube disc in when trying to use DIOSMIOS on Pokemon XD.
USB Loader GX insists that I have DMLite (wants me to copy to SD), even though the lite options are gone from the regular settings. - I used guiformat.exe on the partition to make sure it was the right settings for GC games, reinstalled game via loader, and still wants SD.
Neogamma's newest revision gives me the option to utilize DMLite with no kickback about it not being installed, so I assume DMLite must be secretly installed somewhere, even though I just went into wadmanager and manually uninstalled any possible DMLite versions, with each failing (because I don't have any versions) and then reinstalled DIOSMIOS 2.6. Ah well.
If you have a partially completed file from your last syscheck attempt could you post it plz?
If you don't have it, you could try syscheck gx (or syscheck gui , I can't remember which is the name) it gives a little less information than the normal versions but it seems to me that it's been less likely to hang and crash on me.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
most importantly it can be restored with a nand programer (hardware) it you brick your wii
restoring via bootmii ios could also be of use in extremly rare cases

not that usefull all in all
but considering its neglegable costs in effort and storage space ists still a verry good idea imho

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Is there any point in making an NAND backup of your Wii if you have BootMii installed as an IOS?
There is some use. Some weird bugs it can be easier (less technical) to just restore NAND than actually fixing, even if the Wii isn't completely bricked, especially if you also have PriiLoader ... but it's definitely not as much of a safegaurd as BootMii@Boot2.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,

i wanted to know how do i play WiiWare of a SD card or with out installing on my wii(of a usb). also lets say i downloaded a channel forwarder or any other wad for that matter, how would i know this wad would brick my wii? is they some sort of a antivirus or something.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
hi guys,

i wanted to know how do i play WiiWare of a SD card or with out installing on my wii(of a usb). also lets say i downloaded a channel forwarder or any other wad for that matter, how would i know this wad would brick my wii? is they some sort of a antivirus or something.
A lot of USB loaders (at least WiiFlow, GX, CFG, PostLoader IIRC) can run channels off of an emuNAND (kinda like a NAND backup) that you have on SD or USB. Also, you can have something like Neek2o, UNEEK or SNEEK run the system menu off of that emuNAND and if the channel doesn't brick that emu-system menu it should work fine with your REAL system menu.

You can make an empty emuNAND with ModMii (and get Neek2o while you're at it) or you can make a backup of your real NAND with something like Simple FS Dumper or convert a BootMii NAND backup into one with ShowMiiWAD's on the computer. You can then install WAD files to it with ShowMiiWAD's or from withing USBLoader GX or from a WAD manager run from within Neek2o.

By all means, if you at least have PriiLoader installed (or BootMii as Boot2 for that matter) a channel you install shouldn't brick the Wii enough for it to be unfixable. You would still be able to go PriiLoader -> HBC -> WAD Manager -> un-install WAD to get rid of it and get the Wii working again.

EDIT : Oh, and you can also create and install channels to an emuNAND and run them with uLoader, too, but it just uses a different emuNAND format than all the other ways I just mentioned so you'd just have to keep them in a separate folder if you decide to use both.

Reactions: Flame

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A lot of USB loaders (at least WiiFlow, GX, CFG, PostLoader IIRC) can run channels off of an emuNAND (kinda like a NAND backup) that you have on SD or USB. Also, you can have something like Neek2o, UNEEK or SNEEK run the system menu off of that emuNAND and if the channel doesn't brick that emu-system menu it should work fine with your REAL system menu.

You can make an empty emuNAND with ModMii (and get Neek2o while you're at it) or you can make a backup of your real NAND with something like Simple FS Dumper or convert a BootMii NAND backup into one with ShowMiiWAD's on the computer. You can then install WAD files to it with ShowMiiWAD's or from withing USBLoader GX or from a WAD manager run from within Neek2o.

By all means, if you at least have PriiLoader installed (or BootMii as Boot2 for that matter) a channel you install shouldn't brick the Wii enough for it to be unfixable. You would still be able to go PriiLoader -> HBC -> WAD Manager -> un-install WAD to get rid of it and get the Wii working again.

its going to take a while for me to understand what you said. im still bit of a noob when it comes to the Wii.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
its going to take a while for me to understand what you said. im still bit of a noob when it comes to the Wii.
I guess that was a lot to chew in one shot. Maybe I should have first asked what Backup Loader (if any) you're using right now.

Anyway, the easiest way to run channels from SD (although it ONLY works with uLoader) ...
1. make sure you have IOS222 installed.
2. make sure the SD card is formatted with 16k or 32k clusters
3. make a folder on SD called nand
4. make a folder inside that one called install ( /nand/install )
5. put the WAD files for the channels you want to install in that folder
6. run uLoader
7. uLoader should see the WAD files as soon as it starts up and convert them into a format it can use. (I think it will delete each WAD file when it's done but it will stop if it runs out of space in the process.)
8. run the channel from uLoader. (steps 1-7 will not be needed next time...unless you wanted to install additional channels later. Then only repeat steps 5-7.)

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I guess that was a lot to chew in one shot. Maybe I should have first asked what Backup Loader (if any) you're using right now.

Anyway, the easiest way to run channels from SD (although it ONLY works with uLoader) ...
1. make sure you have IOS222 installed.
2. make sure the SD card is formatted with 16k or 32k clusters
3. make a folder on SD called nand
4. make a folder inside that one called install ( /nand/install )
5. put the WAD files for the channels you want to install in that folder
6. run uLoader
7. uLoader should see the WAD files as soon as it starts up and convert them into a format it can use. (I think it will delete each WAD file when it's done but it will stop if it runs out of space in the process.)
8. run the channel from uLoader. (steps 1-7 will not be needed next time...unless you wanted to install additional channels later.)

im using GX.

edit: thanks man that worked perfectly.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
im using GX.
Just in case, IF GX is also set to look for an emuNAND in SD/nand you might now have all those channels ALSO show up in GX but since uLoader uses it in a different way you won't be able to actually run them from GX, only see them. (Just a heads up.)

-There's always the icon at the top that you can open and choose what to show and what not to show. Just uncheck the emuNAND option there.

-Another option, to be able to use emuNAND in GX itself (and have everything in one place) ...
1. In settings -> custom paths change the emuNAND path to something like SD/nand2 so it doesn't mess with the uLoader one. (there might be one path for channels and one for save games. I'd change them both)
2. I think there's a option in settings -> features "extract the NAND" (create an emuNAND). Do that. It has to copy the whole real NAND so it might take a moment.
3. There's also an option in settings -> features near the bottom to install WAD files to emuNAND. Use that to look for WAD files for channels and add them.
4. Play games. ;)

JSamide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two questions. First, how do I set up my wii so that I can watch ripped DVDs i put on my USB HDD? and second, can I go online with my wbfs games like call of duty and such.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
anyone know how to controll the wii withough a gc remote what buttons do what?
Assuming I'm understanding what you mean by "GC Remote" it depends on the game. Some games are made to use them and some aren't. For those that DO pay attention to what buttons you push they usually end up doing the same as if you push the button with the same name on the classic controller ... but I can't promise that will always be the case.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
"withough" means either "with" or "through"?
The official Wii menu can't be controlled by a gamecube controller :(

If it's in-game, then what Maxternal said is right, it depends if the developers added support for GameCube controls in their games.

if it means "without", then maybe you want to play a gamecube game without a gamecube controller? this is not possible either with the official Wii menu.
There's a homebrew (devolution) which will add Wiimote support to gamecube games, it's still in development.

HomebrewEnthusiast109876

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wiigator's cMIOS is used to retail disc and to play burned backup games (on DVD-R).

it's installed in the MIOS slot, like any other MIOS files.
If you want to go back to the official feature (playing retail disc only), download and install MIOS v10 from Nintendo server (using NUSD or Modmii).
If you want to play retail from disc, or backup from USB, install DIOS MIOS
If you want to play retail from disc, or backup from SD, install DIOS MIOS Lite.
installing a MIOS replaces the previous one automatically as you can only have one at a time.

Alternatively, without using the MIOS, you can also use Devolution to play backups from USB or SD.

HomebrewEnthusiast109876

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wiigator's cMIOS is used to retail disc and to play burned backup games (on DVD-R).

it's installed in the MIOS slot, like any other MIOS files.
If you want to go back to the official feature (playing retail disc only), download and install MIOS v10 from Nintendo server (using NUSD or Modmii).
If you want to play retail from disc, or backup from USB, install DIOS MIOS
If you want to play retail from disc, or backup from SD, install DIOS MIOS Lite.
installing a MIOS replaces the previous one automatically as you can only have one at a time.

Alternatively, without using the MIOS, you can also use Devolution to play backups from USB or SD.

Thanks a lot man, Devolution has that DRM thing though, I applaud his ethics but it ruins the convenience factor.

So if I get DIOS MIOS and USB loader GX (latest revision) I should be all set? My HDD is already FAT32 with 32kb cluster.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, DM and your HDD should work fine.
There's always a possibility that your HDD is incompatible, or randomly incompatible (works 3/10 times. just try again until it works).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/40XQ8L9wsCA?si=GzpPBaHQQLU0plt_ Neat