Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

bigredcape

such a noob, but one day....i'll be not-a-noob.
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Download and run ModMii for Windows, run it and run the wizard at the top (the one that says "start here") and answer the questions. It will download everything you need and you can tell it to give you a guide on how to use it. The rest is just step by step.

will i still be able to use my usbloadergx?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
yes, I'm using usb loader gx. so basically, if i am understanding you correctly, (im pretty sure i'm not but i'm trying) is that i need to dl a new emuNAND? I liked USB Loader GX because it was fast. Should i just rollback my wii's update?
Or should I DL something else entirely?
currently my wii is on v4.3U, all the homebrew channels work, it's just the usbLoder GX that isn't working, where I nornally would see the games, i get a code dump, every time i try to update from within the current loaders, including the homebrew channel, it gives me an option to change or update, but then wiimote automatically disconnects and i can't do anything.

- this is pretty frustrating.
- Download ModMii here
http://modmii.zzl.org/
- run it on your computer.
- After you type "I Agree" and it checks for updates you choose the first option (the one that includes the words "start here").
- You go through and answer the questions it gives you.
- Eventually in the process it will get to the point where it will be ready to download things based on the answers you gave.
- have it download them and generate a guide
- follow the guide. It will tell you to put files onto your SD card (already organized like hey should be) and what steps to follow on the Wii to install everything. (it will even have links to instructional videos of how to do many parts if you feel you need them.)
- Done, your Wii will now be fully soft modded again. Your USB Loader GX should work again and any problems that you might not have noticed that would have been caused by updating would be solved, too.

(I think you might have been confused by other people asking questions at the same time. I try to quote the person I'm talking to, just to avoid confusion. The emuNAND comments were to help gbands with her problem.)

------ (edit)

will i still be able to use my usbloadergx?
Yes.

Reactions: bigredcape

bigredcape

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- Download ModMii here
http://modmii.zzl.org/
- run it on your computer.
- After you type "I Agree" and it checks for updates you choose the first option (the one that includes the words "start here").
- You go through and answer the questions it gives you.
- Eventually in the process it will get to the point where it will be ready to download things based on the answers you gave.
- have it download them and generate a guide
- follow the guide. It will tell you to put files onto your SD card (already organized like hey should be) and what steps to follow on the Wii to install everything. (it will even have links to instructional videos of how to do many parts if you feel you need them.)
- Done, your Wii will now be fully soft modded again. Your USB Loader GX should work again and any problems that you might not have noticed that would have been caused by updating would be solved, too.

(I think you might have been confused by other people asking questions at the same time. I try to quote the person I'm talking to, just to avoid confusion. The emuNAND comments were to help gbands with her problem.)

------ (edit)

Yes.

You are correct! I was confused by people answering questions at the same time. I really appreciate your help and I will work on this tonight and keep you updated with my progress! Thanks for your help. I love this place!

bigredcape

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay here's the thing:
i've uploaded a screencap of all my current files on my sd card. I feel like I'm at the very last step and it's like i've missed something cause it's not working.
i get to this part:

1. Requirements: A copy of "LEGO Batman", a standard SD card (will not work with an SDHC card), and a nunchuck.

1. Load the LEGO Batman game at least once (otherwise you won't be able to copy over the hack).
    2. Delete or move\backup your personal "LEGO Batman" save file before copying the files to your SD Card.
    3. Copy the ModMii files to the root of your SD card (if you haven’t already) and insert it into your Wii.
    4. Go into Wii Options - Data Management - Save Data - Wii - SD Card then copy over the "LEGO Batman" save that corresponds to your region.
    5. Start the LEGO Batman game. Load the new save file.
    6. You are now in the batcave, take the elevator on the right side.
    7. Then in the trophy room, go to the upper corner and go through the door to the "Wayne Manor". Now you can select a character.
    8. Choose the last enabled character in the lowest row to launch the exploit.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

when I get to part E there's no current game to load. i've also noticed a note that says " if this Wii was previously modified, and it has either the HBC, BootMii as Boot2, or a Forwarder Channel installed, you can use that instead of an exploit"
and it was. I had it modded before, but I flarpped it up when I did an update! Now, I'm unsure what to do next.

I dl'd Modmii, followed the guide, and just seem stuck cause whenever I try to load the USB Loader GX channel I get a massive code dump and I have to powerdown.

Attachments

• wiimod.jpg
    wiimod.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 164

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
okay here's the thing:
i've uploaded a screencap of all my current files on my sd card. I feel like I'm at the very last step and it's like i've missed something cause it's not working.
i get to this part:

1. Requirements: A copy of "LEGO Batman", a standard SD card (will not work with an SDHC card), and a nunchuck.
    1. Load the LEGO Batman game at least once (otherwise you won't be able to copy over the hack).
    2. Delete or move\backup your personal "LEGO Batman" save file before copying the files to your SD Card.
    3. Copy the ModMii files to the root of your SD card (if you haven’t already) and insert it into your Wii.
    4. Go into Wii Options - Data Management - Save Data - Wii - SD Card then copy over the "LEGO Batman" save that corresponds to your region.
    5. Start the LEGO Batman game. Load the new save file.
    6. You are now in the batcave, take the elevator on the right side.
    7. Then in the trophy room, go to the upper corner and go through the door to the "Wayne Manor". Now you can select a character.
    8. Choose the last enabled character in the lowest row to launch the exploit.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

when I get to part E there's no current game to load. i've also noticed a note that says "if this Wii was previously modified, and it has either the HBC, BootMii as Boot2, or a Forwarder Channel installed, you can use that instead of an exploit"
and it was. I had it modded before, but I flarpped it up when I did an update! Now, I'm unsure what to do next.

I dl'd Modmii, followed the guide, and just seem stuck cause whenever I try to load the USB Loader GX channel I get a massive code dump and I have to powerdown.
Okay, since it was previously modded, did the update actually get rid of the Homebrew Channel or do you still have it?

If you DO have the homebrew channel
1. copy that file called boot.elf that's on your screenshot
2. open the "apps" folder
3. create a new folder called "hackmii" (this may already be there)
4. Open the "hackmii" folder
5. paste the "boot.elf" file into that folder (again it may already be there)
6. put the SD card into the Wii.
7. open the homebrew channel.
8. there should be a rectangle on the screen that doesn't have an icon in it. Click on it and it should say "hackmii" at the top of the window that comes up. If it does, load it and continue on with the guide.

If you DON'T have a Homebrew channel (assuming your USB Loader GX channel is actually a forwarder channel)
3. find a folder that's either called "usbloadergx" or "usbloader_gx" and open that folder. (it should already be there if this is the SD card you use with your USB Loader GX. If not, make a new folder with that name.)
4. Inside you should see a file called "boot.dol". rename it to "boot2.dol" (if it's not there then, again, this is not the SD card you use with USB Loader GX so just skip this step)
5. paste the "boot.elf" file into that folder.
7. run the USB Loader GX channel from your wii.
8. It should start the installer and you should be able to continue the guide.
9. Once you're done, if you'd renamed a file in #4 you'd have to delete the "boot.elf" file from the "usbloader_gx" folder and rename the "boot2.dol" back to "boot.dol" for USB Loader GX to work again.

bigredcape

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, since it was previously modded, did the update actually get rid of the Homebrew Channel or do you still have it?

If you DO have the homebrew channel
3. create a new folder called "hackmii" (this may already be there)
4. Open the "hackmii" folder
5. paste the "boot.elf" file into that folder (again it may already be there)
7. open the homebrew channel.
8. there should be a rectangle on the screen that doesn't have an icon in it. Click on it and it should say "hackmii" at the top of the window that comes up. If it does, load it and continue on with the guide.

If you DON'T have a Homebrew channel (assuming your USB Loader GX channel is actually a forwarder channel)
3. find a folder that's either called "usbloadergx" or "usbloader_gx" and open that folder. (it should already be there if this is the SD card you use with your USB Loader GX. If not, make a new folder with that name.)
4. Inside you should see a file called "boot.dol". rename it to "boot2.dol" (if it's not there then, again, this is not the SD card you use with USB Loader GX so just skip this step)
5. paste the "boot.elf" file into that folder.
7. run the USB Loader GX channel from your wii.
8. It should start the installer and you should be able to continue the guide.
9. Once you're done, if you'd renamed a file in #4 you'd have to delete the "boot.elf" file from the "usbloader_gx" folder and rename the "boot2.dol" back to "boot.dol" for USB Loader GX to work again.

now when i click on the USBLoaderGX channel it loops me back to the wii home screen :hateit:

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
now when i click on the USBLoaderGX channel it loops me back to the wii home screen :hateit:
If you're doing this from the forwarder channel and did the second set of steps I mentioned, you might have forgotten to rename boot2.dol back to boot.dol. One way or another my first guess is that it can't find SD/apps/usbloader_gx/boot.dol to load. make sure USB Loader GX actually shows up when you go into the homebrew channel. If it does, run it from there and see what happens. If not, make sure the SD card is in (I've made this simple mistake before, myself)

bigredcape

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay, did something. now if i turn on the wii with the SD in the sd card slot, the bootmi screen comes up and my wiimote doesn't connect so i can't do anything and i have to do a hard reset

on the other hand if i power up the wii without the sd card it takes me to the wii homescreen, i put the sd card in, then click on the homebrew channel, click on rectangle on the screen that doesn't have an icon in it. Click on it, it says "hackmii" at the top of the window that comes up. I load it and continue on with the guide, then nothing happens. i'm thinking of completely earasing my sd card and starting over :cry:

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
okay, did something. now if i turn on the wii with the SD in the sd card slot, the bootmi screen comes up and my wiimote doesn't connect so i can't do anything and i have to do a hard reset

on the other hand if i power up the wii without the sd card it takes me to the wii homescreen, i put the sd card in, then click on the homebrew channel, click on rectangle on the screen that doesn't have an icon in it. Click on it, it says "hackmii" at the top of the window that comes up. I load it and continue on with the guide, then nothing happens. i'm thinking of completely earasing my sd card and starting over :cry:
Just rename the "bootmii" folder on your SD card to something else (like "bootmii-backup" for example). BootMii just loads automatically if it sees the "bootmii" folder on SD but if it's not there or not named that it won't.

If at some later date you need to run bootmii again you can just change the name of the folder back.

Cuber

Trophies
Website
mytgn.co.uk
XP
Country
I'm hacking an old Wii my sister got and I'm doing a backup first with Bootmii as boot2.. but something I've never had before is coming up, it says "Corrected page" followed by a number, it has quite a few of them, I've googled this but couldn't find much that actually says what they are. So I'd really like to know, what are they?

bigredcape

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i haven't tried that yet, in the meantime i am getting a new error called "custome ios 249 is a stub please reinstall it" how do i fix that?

bigredcape

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and the same thing happens, if i restart the wii with the sd card in the slot, takes me to the bootmi menu and my wiimote doesn't connect so i can't do anything but a hard reset

Cuber

Trophies
Website
mytgn.co.uk
XP
Country
Is there a way to get NTSC VC games to not crackle on a Pal Wii? It's easy enough to get them to play, but it seems like it tries to play the sound at the slower speed still.. or something.

dods15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is it possible to play GC games via USB while still being able to reset the game (Start+B+X)? I tried DIOS MIOS, but it either resets the wii or turns it off.

Baka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose posting in the "NOOB PARADISE" thread is a relatively incorrect place for me. A little bit of background first;
I've been on the wii hacking scene since the homebrew channel first came out way back when, and my wii has been through harsh modifications (atleast, I'd call them harsh,
I often modded my wii without really reading instructions, and just relying on my backup files), it's had many, many things installed and uninstalled on it, and I've come to a point
where my wii can't boot GC discs, or GC files at all.

It can't read legitimate GC discs via the disc channel (tested with a copy of Animal Crossing and Pokemon Colosseum, AC working on my Gamecube 100% positive)
It can't read backup discs that have worked in the past (over 5 games tested on full-size DVD-Rs)
It can't read via DIOS MIOS in CFG Loader.
It can read regular Wii game backups (just booted Skyward Sword)
It can usb load Wii games.

And one thing is consistent among the many black screens that all the gamecube tests brought: a black screen, three small clicking noises on the TV, and then silence.

Doin' a syscheck now (my first ever...)
...Oh, it seems to be hanging at 3/4ths done; It reads "Testing IOS vulnerabilities" (and has for about 3+ minutes)
What's the easiest alternative method to check files to see what it's hanging on so I can clean up the corrupted files for a successful second try at a syscheck?
(I'm thinking it might be a missing bootmii hang, I had bootmii once, but now I only run priiloader, or whatever the console-esque startup screen is; I still need to check what that's installed under though.)

EDIT: After another hour of googling, I've come to the conclusion that I've probably run into a cMIOS error somewhere somehow. Not really sure how, considering I used the same GC backup method forever, but I'm installing patched cMIOS v10 now.

EDIT: Progress! After the cMIOS v10 seemingly did nothing, I used an old v4 installer, and managed to boot Pokemon XD via a backup DVD-R using GC Backup Launcher 0.2 (it just sits on my system menu, so I use it for tests sometimes). Time to test USB backups!
No one here may have helped me, but writing it all down sure did, so thanks for years of information, GBAtemp!

EDIT: CFG USB Loader hangs, even with a legitimate gamecube disc in when trying to use DIOSMIOS on Pokemon XD.
USB Loader GX insists that I have DMLite (wants me to copy to SD), even though the lite options are gone from the regular settings. - I used guiformat.exe on the partition to make sure it was the right settings for GC games, reinstalled game via loader, and still wants SD.
Neogamma's newest revision gives me the option to utilize DMLite with no kickback about it not being installed, so I assume DMLite must be secretly installed somewhere, even though I just went into wadmanager and manually uninstalled any possible DMLite versions, with each failing (because I don't have any versions) and then reinstalled DIOSMIOS 2.6. Ah well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhN3stcB0is