Android How to protect data from unauthorized access on Android?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
First of all…
  • my description won’t fit in few words – as always. If you want to read it, then do it. If not, then don't, but please leave me alone with nonsense like tl;dr → :)
  • I do not want to discuss if my concerns and ideas make sense or if I’m a paranoid tinfoil hat wearing lunatic and conspiracy theorist. Instead I simply want to learn what is possible regardless if there is any practical value in this or not. Please spare me the name calling → :)
  • it was not possible to avoid certain, possibly controversial, thoughts touching politics →:(

Most of this text is ready for getting posted for roughly a week; I'm always hesitant. But since @Blauhasenpopo forced encouraged me… I finished this today. Happy now? :creep:

Main Question​

Does anybody know how data on an Android phone/tablet can be reliably protected from unauthorized access? This means a similar security level like offered by LUKS and VeraCrypt.
The latter featuring some kind of plausible deniability is a bonus.

I’m still at the very beginning of the process in understanding Android and it’s strange security design (locking the owner out of their own stuff). Much of it seems to be based on hard to justify assumptions, treated like axioms which must not be questioned:
The locked bootloader prevents flashing/running arbitrary code and the verified boot chain even prevents Evil Maid Attacks (on the software side→ data deletion and tamper evidence on unlock). Strong assumptions:
A) There are no security holes allowing ACE with bootloader rights​
B) Non-malicious vendors (no backdoors, no modified signed images, no rouge updates ↓↓↓)​
C) No government influence (no government backdoors)​
I doubt any of the three assumptions is true, let alone all of them.

While phone/tablets are encrypted by default using AES with random master key, which is inaccessible (Trust Zone? Is that the correct term?) and well-protected (another assumption!) there is a inherent weakness connected with usability:
Each time you want to use a phone you have to unlock it. It is simply not practical to enter a complex passphrase (at least 20 random alphanumeric characters) good enough to withstand an automated bruteforce attack every single time. There doesn’t seem to be a way to enforce a complex passphrase on boot and have a simple PIN for normal screen unlock (or I’m too dumb to find it). For unlocking a computer with a touchscreen I can’t even use my usual, mediocre local PC login passwords.

Preventing unauthorized access to personal/user data solely depends on the assumptions A), B), C) in the spoiler above this one to be true. If device integrity is actually given and there is no way to bruteforce the user PIN other than manually typing, then a simple but random 8 to 10 digit numeric PIN is secure enough. Normal unlocking methods intentionally change the encryption key. But… if one can let the computer do the guesswork for obtaining the user PIN by executing own, malicious code…
Trollface_non-free.png

…your data security goes down the drain.

All in all the security theater(!) provides a false sense of security; people are relying on devices simply defined as secure and convenient by design (opposed to the open PC platform, which is obviously vulnerable to Evil Maid Attacks. They try to counter with attached hardware security called TPM, but in the end PCs are more often than not unencrypted anyway).
While searching for a way to mitigate the problem that an Android device can probably easily read (and written!) by malicious “law enforcement”¹ and other attackers, I stumbled upon three apps (all by the same developer, x13a) that can be installed as device administrators:
Duress → Define a duress key/password. If entered, the device with factory reset (and hopefully change master key immediately)​
Wasted Factory Reset on given triggers (fake icons, device unused for days, USB cable with data connection gets plugged in without unlocking the phone before doing so – last one is pretty effective but easy to trigger accidentally yourself)​
Sentry → Disable safe mode (to prevent circumventing such apps), disable USB data connection. Could possibly prevent forensic tools from even trying to apply exploits on the running system. Factory reset on too many failed PIN attempts (some phones offer this by default).​
I’ve tested the three apps and they worked for me as intended.

:!: Please do not play around with these apps on your productive devices! You can easily trigger deletion and Sentry can NOT be removed once set as device owner (which is required for disabling safe mode and disabling data USB connection) other than by doing the factory reset! :!:

These apps are a fun addition and might improve the situation very slightly.
If your dear friend, the cop, confiscates your phone and asks you for the PIN, it may help. Some police officers might even simply try out the PIN given to them on the spot and thus set off the deletion nuke.
And if the computer forensics experts, too convinced of their own importance and abilities, simply plug in a cable carelessly, these apps would also help.

But ultimately these are just beginner's traps that don't really help much if the adversary has done their homework or smells a rat. Emergency deletion is not a replacement for solid encryption. Preventing USB connection and safe mode could be a serious security upgrade though. A bad side effect is that Sentry kills Seedvault backup when set as device owner.

¹It is completely impossible to find reliable information about so-called forensic tools. The topic has inherent secrecy and intentional incomplete information and even misinformation in order to intimidate people.
With freedom (of speech for example) melting like snow in the summer sun this kind of threat model (prosecuting innocent people) has to be taken in account.

• Love
Reactions: Blauhasenpopo

Blauhasenpopo

GBATemp's Funeral Director
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
  • Haha
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
...:unsure:… I hoped for a more elaborate answer from you.
smilie_girl_355.gif

Since you expressed interest in this yesterday, I might as well ask in public if (and how) you protect your phone(s).

Maybe you have professional administration tools for work?

genistopitauniverfrocrami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There doesn’t seem to be a way to enforce a complex passphrase on boot and have a simple PIN for normal screen unlock
From what I've read a while ago, some Android phones will decrypt your data (presumably using a key retrieved from secure hardware) after you've entered your password for the first time after boot. Given locked bootloaders and waiting periods for incorrect attempts (increasingly long ones ideally, unlike the fixed 30 seconds on AOSP), bruteforcing shouldn't be a concern.

Does anybody know how data on an Android phone/tablet can be reliably protected from unauthorized access?
Last I'm aware, the only open source thing we have would be AOSP's encryption feature.

In my opinion though, if you want proper security then I don't think Android (or iOS for that matter) is where it's at. Whether the feature works largely depends on your particular (open source) custom ROM/GSI. And like you've mentioned about weird security model, it's unfortunate considering the "because we know better" concept of most manufacturers and the mobile platform in general. Hardware is basically crippled for anyone who thinks otherwise.

Perhaps a good alternative would be postmarketOS, which isn't actually Android but instead Linux. Support for full disk encryption (with password prompt on boot) is present on some devices. Also maybe worth mentioning is the Raspberry Pi series (especially the Pi 5 with dedicated crypto hardware), though you'd have to figure out the 'mobile' part (or find someone else's).

Last edited by genistopitauniverfrocrami,

Blauhasenpopo

GBATemp's Funeral Director
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I do not have any security tools installed or set on my device, but would, if i easily could manage it.

Your suggestions are a good way to start.

From what I've read a while ago, some Android phones will decrypt your data (presumably using a key retrieved from secure hardware) after you've entered your password for the first time after boot. Given locked bootloaders and waiting periods for incorrect attempts (increasingly long ones ideally, unlike the fixed 30 seconds on AOSP), bruteforcing shouldn't be a concern.

Last I'm aware, the only open source thing we have would be AOSP's encryption feature.

In my opinion though, if you want proper security then I don't think Android (or iOS for that matter) is where it's at. Whether the feature works largely depends on your particular (open source) custom ROM/GSI. And like you've mentioned about weird security model, it's unfortunate that the "because we know better" concept of most manufacturers and the mobile platform in general makes for hardware that's crippled for anyone who thinks otherwise.

Perhaps a good alternative would be postmarketOS, which isn't actually Android but instead Linux. Support for full disk encryption (with password prompt on boot) is present on some devices. Also maybe worth mentioning is the Raspberry Pi series (especially the Pi 5 with dedicated crypto hardware), though you'd have to figure out the 'mobile' part (or find someone else's).

The mentioned postmarketOS isn't available for much phones, besides it isn't the the right answer to the OP's topic.....but it truly is an alternative to be choosen as an complete other OS with a complete safer structure.

Last edited by Blauhasenpopo,

KleinesSinchen

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I do not have any security tools installed or set on my device, but would, if i easily could manage it.
Convenient ≠ Secure
You surely own some testing device where you can try out things.

I was just wondering if you were using some management solution at work and could share insights.
=======

Ignoring my own warning to not simply try Sentry on productive devices I installed it as device owner on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 (2020) SM-T505. Running stock ROM with locked bootloader (Knox warranty bit intact)
Since there is no sensible backup solution (only Samsung Smart Switch → 🤦‍♀️ ), which could get knocked out there was nothing to lose.

Best decision ever regarding Android. This tablet is the only¹ of my Android devices featuring USB HAL 1.3, which is required for the USB restrictions to be applied.
While the USB restriction is activated there doesn't seem to be any way to connect to it. It doesn't report to a PC. No messages in journalctl -f. No reaction to USB keyboards or memory sticks or whatever. Only remaining function is charging the battery.
This makes me wonder why this isn't the default. There is no sensible reason for a mobile device to start or accept data connections in locked state. And, no, "My touchscreen doesn't work after I dropped the phone. Now I have to unlock with a keyboard to rescue my precious photos!" is not a good reason → Just backup your data on time.
Together with restricting safe boot / safe mode this greatly decreases attack surface for somebody trying to exploit the system (given the assumptions in my initial post are true for this tablet, which I doubt looking at the missing updates)

There are a lot more policies which could be enforced by a management app. Problem is that these EMM (Enterprise Mobility Management) apps are exactly that: Management by administrators for company owned devices or employee's devices with work profile. They are expensive (monthly or yearly fee) and most of these features are for remote control and useless for private persons (and these apps aren't even available without signing up with your company). I found no free implementation going beyond Sentry.

:!: Long and complex page ahead. Might make weak devices load a long time: Here is DevicePolicyManager API :!:

Reactions: Blauhasenpopo

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
a zero click attack for android cost aroun 2.000.000$ and if have market exist... on iphone for example exist (probably now patched) a silent message, that silent message reach an iphone and use a chain of bug/exploit for log the entire phone data without the user notice something....

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
A) There are no security holes allowing ACE with bootloader rightsB) Non-malicious vendors (no backdoors, no modified signed images, no rouge updates ↓↓↓)C) No government influence (no government backdoors)
Considering the closed source nature of virtually all stock systems, I think B and C pretty much rules them out. So that leaves us with your custom ROM and its encryption. If that doesn't work, then I remember using some apps that let you use VeraCrypt volumes on your phone. Have you tried those?

The mentioned postmarketOS isn't available for much phones, besides it isn't the the right answer to the OP's topic.....but it truly is an alternative to be choosen as an complete other OS with a complete safer structure.
True, the number of devices that exist is staggering compared to the few supported Main or Community devices.

To be fair, "an Android phone/tablet" can be interpreted as a device made for running Android. KleinesSinchen hasn't shared his particular use case, so perhaps an alternative OS would've solved his needs. (At least now we know what the answer isn't.)

Anyway, should be ostensibly safer indeed. I do hope that Linux phones can one day prove their worth.

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like your security focus is more on the lock/unlock meatspace vector, but might I redirect some of that suspicion upward.

Smartphones have been designed to serve the interests of their vendors. In the case of Android, that's Google, which wants to gather and sell as much data from the phone's user as possible.

Hence, most of the Android security discussion I've seen starts with and predominately is de-Googling. And I can't even begin to think of achieving security on a stock Android rom. So the first step is usually installing a custom ROM, and then being as paranoid as you prefer/is possible in that OS. So before you implement your sounds-like-encryption software for the Android ecosystem, make sure you're building on the right Android OS/custom ROM.

If you're new to Android, welcome to hell, because while the software license core to the Android operating system all but requires permitting the user to modify/change the OS, the vast majority of commercially available Android devices today have locked bootloaders, which means no custom ROM. Assuming you are prepared to clear that hurdle:

I put LineageOS on my relatively new phone, which has a long history and good reputation among custom Android roms. But while I was researching what I'd do on this phone, there was significant discussion of GrapheneOS which sounds like it might be an approximation of what you're interested in - on the security maximizing side of the security-convenience spectrum.

https://grapheneos.org/

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Convenient ≠ Secure
You surely own some testing device where you can try out things.

I was just wondering if you were using some management solution at work and could share insights.
Everyone has a different level for what's reasonable between convenient vs. secure (as I've found out the hard way). We're still learning and not all will choose the most convenient thing. Perhaps Blauhasenpopo would've considered it.

[Edit]

Hence, most of the Android security discussion I've seen starts with and predominately is de-Googling.
To anyone considering de-Googling or going open source, I'd like to assure you that it's entirely possible (as someone who's been doing it for a while).
  • MicroG serves as a open source replacement to GMS, if you need it. (Push notifications, network location, etc. If you've gotten comfortable enough or replaced most of the reliant apps then you could drop microG altogether.)
  • Aurora Store and NewPipe can completely replace Play Store and YouTube. (The latter of which is used without the algorithm, something I've befitted from personally.)
  • Banking apps are convenient, but cash works too. (Plus, it can't track you like banks can. Your bank might also have a web client, which might help.)
  • Element is available through the F-Droid store. (Messaging app; works without Google push notifs. Signal is an honorable mention though not on F-Droid, and "Telegram FOSS" is debatable/ depends.)
  • Firefox web browser. Other options are Chromium based, a consideration if de-Googling.
  • Watomatic for telling everyone on WhatsApp where you've went, if you use that. (Or, drop Google push notifs and delete the WhatApp account, something that happens after 180 days of inactivity either way.)
  • Open Camera, does it all.
  • Web apps to the rescue. You can benefit from extensions like uBlock Origin and the lack of excessive Android app APIs.
  • You could try bypassing SafetyNet but ultimately it's a proprietary liability. Personally I don't use any apps that require it.
  • (privacy) AdAway and App Manager for blocking the creepy stuff.
  • Might recall more later.
Nothing wrong with small changes -- everything little counts (even if it means trying a custom ROM with GAPPS/GMS installed). I promise you'll get used to your setup after a year or so, as though nothing really changed...

So before you implement your sounds-like-encryption software for the Android ecosystem
What do you mean by sounds-like-encryption software? We're looking at stuff like AOSP by Google, and VeraCrypt which has had a two security audits. (In addition to its predecessor, TrueCrypt. Granted, the Android apps for VeraCrypt aren't official, but if you're unsure, you can examine or mount the same volume on a PC. Perhaps tools like photorec can pick up on plain files.)

make sure you're building on the right Android OS/custom ROM.
Indeed; some ROM devs don't provide source code, which brings us back to square one. (Albeit, with an unlocked bootloader, worse. Speaking of which, I've heard that phones like some OnePlus' and Googles have features akin to Secure Boot, something used by the two 'OSs below if I'm not wrong.)

If you're new to Android, welcome to hell, because while the software license core to the Android operating system all but requires permitting the user to modify/change the OS, the vast majority of commercially available Android devices today have locked bootloaders, which means no custom ROM.
I'd like to add (or "interject for a moment" if you will) that Android (specifically AOSP) is Open Source but not Free. So in practice, stock ROMs all end up becoming proprietary anyway. Not to mention the obligatory GMS or equivalent.

GrapheneOS which sounds like it might be an approximation of what you're interested in
For privacy and security, also see CalyxOS. Not hardcore like GrapheneOS, but functionally reasonable.

Thing about these projects though is that they only support current or recent devices (and in the case of GrapheneOS, Pixels only). Which kind of puts us back into the planned obsolescence debacle. That's unlike phones with postmarketOS which have the goal of getting (and do get) mainlined to the Linux kernel. Not to mention, Android's run by Google and subject to their mischief (see Chrome manifest V3 debacle).

Anyway, I hope that LineageOS serves you well as it certainly has for me :)

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean by sounds-like-encryption software? We're looking at stuff like AOSP by Google, and VeraCrypt which has had a two security audits. (In addition to its predecessor, TrueCrypt. Granted, the Android apps for VeraCrypt aren't official, but if you're unsure, you can examine or mount the same volume on a PC. Perhaps tools like photorec can pick up on plain files.)
I was alluding to my lack of knowledge about what software will be needed, on top of the ROM, to achieve OP's desired result. I don't get much further than 'sounds like it will include encryption'.

KleinesSinchen

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh dear...

Thanks for the detailed replies!
@Blauhasenpopo will be pleased to see I was wrong.

Always the same trouble. I write a long post like an essay, cut away parts to at least partially evade the "too long didn't read" problem and end up with too little information.
Of course I already use custom ROMs and have no Google services.

Safety Net (old) or Play Integrity validation isn't a concern. If an app requires attestation by Google, the app isn't trustworthy (and I would say illegal in the EU for banking if no alternative is offered… but who cares… they will do whatever they want).

GrapheneOS which sounds like it might be an approximation of what you're interested in
GrapheneOS is the reason for starting this thread. This ROM is what made me consider to finally use Android for more than a toy. After refusing to even look at smartphones for very long (main reason being Google), I decided to start learning some years ago: You can't criticize what you don't know. Using a not de-googled phone was never an option. Just reading their ridiculous Terms of Service and "Privacy" Policies (Haha) is enough to stay away from Google (and WhatsApp and Apple and Microsoft and Twitter and…)

Over the years I've picked up various Android devices between 0€ and about 100€ maximum for doing the experiments → mostly with LineageOS.

For the full security features of GrapheneOS a Pixel from series 8 seems to be needed. They are outrageously expensive. Best concept of GrapheneOS is making Android Verified Boot (AVB) actually useful by trusting own keys instead of manufacturer keys. I guess you could go as far as compile and sign it yourself. For even trying this hardened variant I had to buy a Pixel phone. Arrived three days ago and I flashed it yesterday. The only one in price range was a Pixel 4a with a tiny haircrack in the plastic frame at the edge; came from a reseller. Probably no warranty issues since Pixel phones can easily reverted to stock.
A.jpg B.jpg C.jpg
Unlocking bootloaders does downgrade security since it guarantees (at least to my understanding) automated bruteforce attacks on the user PIN are possible. It is obviously the same on open platforms like PC, but there is a keyboard for entering a solid passphrase and the possibility of acceptable quality login passwords in addition to the heavy boot passphrase.
I've no idea why only Pixel phones support changing the root of trust and relocking the bootloader into yellow state. Other phones will just go red state when locking with custom OS.

I want to emphasize that the complete technological verification, even if implemented flawlessly, does not really prevent Evil Maid Attacks. If she can't modify the device for sniffing passwords, our maid will just install a camera in the room for high tech shoulder surfing.
==============

Regarding VeraCrypt containers I'll have to do my homework and search up things. F-Droid had no results for VeraCrypt. Other "container" or "safe space" apps which can be found there suffer from being more or less a minimalist gallery and media player. It would be better (if Android even allows this) if an encrypted volume could be mounted to be available for the rest of the OS, just like on desktop.
This does of course nothing for protecting the normal private app data further than the OS does by itself. GrapheneOS might be a reasonable approach used with multiple profiles.
==============

All these topics never go without mentioning
security.png

Reactions: Exidous

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Protection in the way of crypt, can be done, but most android devices are not that secure to begin with in hardware design.
What you can do is:
  • You can split partition if you fully own the device in terms of you're system root.
  • You can then setup encryption to this space.
  • You can set a gateway proxyserver for security online (complete with key-management).
  • You can setup your own appstore and controll mirror the apps available.
  • You can setup a trap for it to erase the encrypted partition when battery is below certain level.
  • You can setup a trap for it to erase the encrypted partition when certain button is pushed (multiple times).
  • Your applications can be pushed to the encrypted partition.
  • You can setup a firewall.
  • You can setup endpoint security antivirus.
  • You can use VPN
Are these simple to implement? no.
This is cause:
  • Most ARM processors are not able to check themselves for being correct or backdoored.
  • Setup secure keymanagement is hard.
  • Keeping your appstore mirror up to date and controlled takes time.
  • Most devices have hardware drivers made once, never update, so known vernabilities are never really patched.

Last edited by JaapDaniels,
Reactions: 4d1xlaan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Always the same trouble. I write a long post like an essay, cut away parts to at least partially evade the "too long didn't read" problem and end up with too little information.
Of course I already use custom ROMs and have no Google services.
Well I do read your posts, it's just a lot to understand (and to reply to) all at once. Also, it'd help if I knew which parts (or to who) you're replying to.

To be fair, you were talking about Samsung devices and stock roms; and also seemed to like Exidous' reply, which was an introductory to security and privacy on Android.

This ROM is what made me consider to finally use Android for more than a toy. After refusing to even look at smartphones for very long (main reason being Google), I decided to start learning some years ago
Oh, is that so? I've been trying to do the opposite with Android. So what was it before?

Regarding VeraCrypt containers I'll have to do my homework and search up things.
The apps I tried were simple file managers that could internally manage VeraCrypt volumes, nothing system level. It's just a fallback in case your system didn't support encryption. At least now we know you have a Pixel phone (and GrapheneOS); I think that should take care of it.

• You can split partition if you fully own the device in terms of you're system root.
  • You can then setup encryption to this space.
That's one of the main questions here; what tools in particular?

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well I do read your posts, it's just a lot to understand (and to reply to) all at once. Also, it'd help if I knew which parts (or to who) you're replying to.

To be fair, you were talking about Samsung devices and stock roms; and also seemed to like Exidous' reply, which was an introductory to security and privacy on Android.

Oh, is that so? I've been trying to do the opposite with Android. So what was it before?

The apps I tried were simple file managers that could internally manage VeraCrypt volumes, nothing system level. It's just a fallback in case your system didn't support encryption. At least now we know you have a Pixel phone (and GrapheneOS); I think that should take care of it.

That's one of the main questions here; what tools in particular?
I used the terminal and tools embedded in linux from the terminal (termux), android has a lot of linux functions still left in most cases.
But you need to have development tools activated and being the root of android to get all functions.
and i'm not sure it can be done on all android systems, just did it once on a really old phone of mine.
https://android.stackexchange.com/q...-partition-and-decrease-data-partition#216130
https://www.majordroid.com/resize-system-partition-android-without-twrp/

Last edited by JaapDaniels,

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Oh via terminal emulator, that's really nifty. Did you manage to create a working encrypted partition? (Also, would it be possible to use it for Android full disk encryption, or perhaps to mount as an external storage?)

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've no idea why only Pixel phones support changing the root of trust and relocking the bootloader into yellow state. Other phones will just go red state when locking with custom OS.
because every other manufacturer is garbage

for what it's worth, other manufacturers regularly fail to even properly implement android security bulletin patches, and will actively lie to you about security patch level (yes, even smasnug)

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh via terminal emulator, that's really nifty. Did you manage to create a working encrypted partition? (Also, would it be possible to use it for Android full disk encryption, or perhaps to mount as an external storage?)
i never tried that step myself, but i think it should be possible, specially since there are phones available preset this way.
blackphone has this, Bittium has this...

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
i never tried that step myself, but i think it should be possible, specially since there are phones available preset this way.
blackphone has this, Bittium has this...
I see. Sounds plausible considering tools like BusyBox or AnLinux.

Interesting, I haven't heard of these products before. Will have a look.

Thanks for sharing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    light27 @ light27: it was like