Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

jabmaster2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Iorkca said:
Quick question i download the USB Loader GX and in the apps folder it has a Hermes Cios installer, do i need that to use the loader, and what exactly is it. thanks for any help you can offer.
if u already have one of waninkoko cios rev 10 or above u don't need Hermes but u can use it if u like

rookrook

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok i have still no luck getting the resort disc to load from disc channel and its a retail disc but here is my sign check outcome maybe some can see something wrong
IOS number "Trucha bug" "Flash access" "Boot2 access" "Usb2.0 IOS tree"

IOS254 (ver 3092) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS250 (ver 65535) Enabled Disabled Disabled Enabled
IOS249 (ver 13) Enabled Disabled Disabled Enabled
IOS60 (ver 6174) Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS55 (ver 4633) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS53 (ver 4113) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS38 (ver 3609) Enabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS37 (ver 2070) Disabled Disabled Disabled Disabled
IOS36 (ver 1042) Enabled Enabled Disabled Disabled
IOS35 (ver 1040) Enabled Enabled Disabled Disabled
IOS34 (ver 1039) Enabled Enabled Disabled Disabled
IOS33 (ver 1040) Enabled Enabled Disabled Disabled
IOS31 (ver 1040) Enabled Enabled Disabled Disabled
IOS30 (ver 1040) Enabled Enabled Disabled Disabled
IOS28 (ver 1288) Enabled Enabled Disabled Disabled
IOS22 (ver 7) Enabled Enabled Disabled Disabled
IOS21 (ver 7) Enabled Enabled Disabled Disabled
IOS20 (ver 7) Enabled Enabled Disabled Disabled
IOS17 (ver 7) Enabled Enabled Disabled Disabled
IOS16 (ver 257) Enabled Enabled Disabled Disabled
IOS15 (ver 7) Enabled Enabled Disabled Disabled
IOS14 (ver 7) Enabled Enabled Disabled Disabled
IOS13 (ver 7) Enabled Enabled Disabled Disabled
IOS12 (ver 7) Enabled Enabled Disabled Disabled
IOS11 (ver 7) Enabled Enabled Disabled Disabled

hope some one can help me im going round in circles

chunky

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jabmaster2 said:
chunky said:
2 quick questions

1. my friends wii is untouched with4.1 can i just do the bannerbomb put rev14 and usb loader and all will be good or is there anything else?
i have found this
1. Get bannerbomb working
2. Install HBC using the Hackmii installer
3. get IOS wads (only required when the Wii has no internet connection)
4. run Trucha Bug Restorer and downgrade IOS15, install patched IOS36 as IOS36, restore IOS15.
5. run cIOS installer rev 13 or higher.

can i skip 4 or is it actually needed

2. i put a few wad channels on my wii vc games and work a treat but when i put them on sd they just come up with fail what am i doing wrong

one last thing wad manager 1.5 fails to see my sd card it says error ret-1 am i missing something
thanks ppl

to answer 1 yes those steps are fine And yes u have to do step 4 or the cios will not install.

2 u need a patched ios 60 with trucha bug to play pirated games of sd card.

3 ur sd card is probably not compatible

Thanks for getting back to me, now i know that little bit more
as for the sd card it came with the wii it even says wii sdcard its a 1gb i might format it see how it goes
thanks again

Slave

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hi there!

I have Wii with FW 3.3U along Wiikey chip

I want to move to the latest firmware (I think it's 4.1?)

I want to use the SD card channel...

I want to use Wadmanager to install downloaded Wiiware Wad

Oh and I do no have wifi online (so to update to 4.1 for example, I need a game that installs 4.1 before booting the game)

I need a kind soul to help me go a Step By Step of n00bness proportion (ok I can manage google for, lets say, Rev IOS stuff) but like, I never installed an IOS (i dont even know how), I dunno what a REV is or what to do with them...

I already have a homebrew channel installed (I dunno which one... I think it's 1.3 I'm not sure) I also have a gecko that the homebrew channel has, but again I dunno the version and I never used gecko...

Thanks!

tiger1807

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok here goes

My wii's LU64 and i never updated and its on 3.4U

I want to run MY wii back up's the safest way possible (i don't want to brick my new wii
frown.gif
)

as far as i know, the homebrew channel is easy enough to install, what should i do after that (via bannerbomb)?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Iorkca said:
Quick question i download the USB Loader GX and in the apps folder it has a Hermes Cios installer, do i need that to use the loader, and what exactly is it. thanks for any help you can offer.

It was more important before rev12 and higher came out because rev's 9-11 did not have any usb support for anything other than the usb drive you use for the usb loader. So no guitar hero instruments, lan adapters worked if you had that cIOS installed. So hermes released a cIOS that installs to IOS222 or 223 instead with usb support so usb loader gx implemented options to choose to load a game with IOS222 or 223 on top of Waninkoko's IOS249 for games that would need other usb support. Now Rev14 works with usb peripherals as well so it isn't necessary and you can just use IOS249 for everything.

kraken613 said:
jabmaster2 said:
QUOTE(kraken613 @ Jul 30 2009, 04:39 PM) What is NAND?
It th wiis memory like real small hard drive about 1/2 gig

So what exactly will this NAND emulation do that everyone is talking about?

The Wii can only hold 512MB on it which is why storage was a big problem to everyone from the start as a few game saves some extra channels and VC games and your Wii is already full. With NAND emulation that was made possible with rev14 (though we can't do anything with it yet until Waninkoko releases his NAND emulator app possibly in September or so) the entire Wii is pretty much run entirely off of your SD card or usb hard drive. Because of this, it is not limited to 512MB anymore and has however much space your SD card/hard drive has. Also it seems you may also be able to run OTHER system's NAND from the nand emulator which should effectively possibly allow any new Wii's to do what older Wii's can just by emulating their system menu's.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Slave said:
Hi there!

I have Wii with FW 3.3U along Wiikey chip

I want to move to the latest firmware (I think it's 4.1?)

I want to use the SD card channel...

I want to use Wadmanager to install downloaded Wiiware Wad

Oh and I do no have wifi online (so to update to 4.1 for example, I need a game that installs 4.1 before booting the game)

I need a kind soul to help me go a Step By Step of n00bness proportion (ok I can manage google for, lets say, Rev IOS stuff) but like, I never installed an IOS (i dont even know how), I dunno what a REV is or what to do with them...

I already have a homebrew channel installed (I dunno which one... I think it's 1.3 I'm not sure) I also have a gecko that the homebrew channel has, but again I dunno the version and I never used gecko...

Thanks!

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144835

Follow the offline guide. You will need a GC controller for the bootmii menu, but if you don't have one you can just skip the bootmii/nand backup step as the IOS version wouldn't really do much for you anyways. Install the HBC as it says anyways because that is a more recent version.

QUOTE(tiger1807 @ Jul 30 2009, 03:12 PM) Ok here goes

My wii's LU64 and i never updated and its on 3.4U

I want to run MY wii back up's the safest way possible (i don't want to brick my new wii
frown.gif
)

as far as i know, the homebrew channel is easy enough to install, what should i do after that (via bannerbomb)?

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=168890

Once you use bannerbomb to install the HBC you should never need bannerbomb again. Anything you would run through bannerbomb can be run through the HBC at that point.

kraken613

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
The Wii can only hold 512MB on it which is why storage was a big problem to everyone from the start as a few game saves some extra channels and VC games and your Wii is already full. With NAND emulation that was made possible with rev14 (though we can't do anything with it yet until Waninkoko releases his NAND emulator app possibly in September or so) the entire Wii is pretty much run entirely off of your SD card or usb hard drive. Because of this, it is not limited to 512MB anymore and has however much space your SD card/hard drive has. Also it seems you may also be able to run OTHER system's NAND from the nand emulator which should effectively possibly allow any new Wii's to do what older Wii's can just by emulating their system menu's.

That is beyond awesome!

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
UnseenHero said:
If i install preloader on my wii cant be bricked right?

ALSO....i found a spot to askk alll my questionsss
biggrin.gif
i am gonna have alot....

It CAN be bricked still. You just have a way to fix the brick since you can load preloader before the system menu. However, if you delete or uninstall anything involving IOS60 you will be bricked harder than preloader can manage and won't be able to recover. A boot2 install of bootmii with a NAND backup is 100% brick protection from even doing something as stupid as that, as long as you don't physically go back into the hackmii installer and uninstall bootmii for some reason.

WiiFSA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a few questions...

Is it normal for my wii to still have the fan on after i turned it off? (stand by)
it only happened after i installed USB loader.

Also how can i go to preloader i changed the settings so it wont appear every time i go back the wii menu
but now i cant get to it.(holding reset takes me to the wii menu)
And how do I get wii speak working again? unsure.gif unsure.gif

Any help would be appreciated. thx

MrRochie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
MrRochie said:
MrRochie said:
blink.gif
Greets Dudes I have a simple and quick question .... If I erase my Wii memory in the Wii setttings what exactly do I loose. (All my channels, homebrew channel, Mii channel etc...) I have some wad games on my sd card that will not copy or move to the Wii memory for some reason so I was gonna wipe the sd card and Wii memory if I had to and start over. I am using Waninkoko's firmware 4.1 Any thoughts?
wtf.gif

grog.gif
So formatting my Wii Memory is not a good Idea?? What will I loose if I do? Whats the best method to clean up old games that show up on the SD card but will not load to Wii memory?
Also another question.. I tried to load hackmii from the homebrew channel. and it hangs at the first screen where the last line reads "turn off your Wii" How do I get this to proceed?
I am on 4.1 waninkoko firmware Rev 14 and would like some bricking protection.. Thanks Dudes & Dudettes

It's not a matter of what you lose if you format. It's that formatting a softmodded Wii has more of a chance to brick you that running most other homebrew apps do.

So is your problem that installed vc wad's won't load from the sd card menu? Formatting your Wii would do absolutely nothing to that anyways even if it did work. You need to patch IOS60 in order to get that to work (AND DO NOT UNINSTALL IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES IF IT DOESN'T WORK OR SOMETHING). Use dop-IOS to install the most recent IOS60 with the sig hash.

And what was your other problem? You tried to run the hackmii installer to install bootmii and it immediately told you to turn off your Wii? How old is your Wii and what have you installed on it? Have you installed CIOSCORP?

unsure.gif
1st prob. BTW thanks for the help.. I am installing vc wads they won't load from the sd menu. From my reading I cannot install dop-IOS because I used Waninkoko method to update to 4.1 it won't work.

wacko.gif
2nd prob: Wii was bought 6 months ago but when I try to install hackmii it doesn't get past the "if you are insure of this update turn off your Wii now page. Isn't it supposed to come back with a "press 1" to continue statement. It does not just stays on that screen... Hope this helps

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WiiFSA said:
I got a few questions...

Is it normal for my wii to still have the fan on after i turned it off? (stand by)
it only happened after i installed USB loader.

Also how can i go to preloader i changed the settings so it wont appear every time i go back the wii menu
but now i cant get to it.(holding reset takes me to the wii menu)
And how do I get wii speak working again? unsure.gif unsure.gif

Any help would be appreciated. thx

I'm don't remember what to do to fix the fan thing, but I'm pretty sure it's something to do with preloader.

You need to start holding reset as soon as you press power to turn on the Wii. If that isn't working...are you sure it's still there? You still have that fan bug though...you didn't update your system or anything since installing preloader have you?

For Wii Speak, do you mean in games or the channel? The channel I believe needs to be updated to work. What made it STOP working if it did before?

MrRochie said:
nabster92 said:
QUOTE(MrRochie @ Jul 30 2009, 09:51 AM)

grog.gif
So formatting my Wii Memory is not a good Idea?? What will I loose if I do? Whats the best method to clean up old games that show up on the SD card but will not load to Wii memory?
Also another question.. I tried to load hackmii from the homebrew channel. and it hangs at the first screen where the last line reads "turn off your Wii" How do I get this to proceed?
I am on 4.1 waninkoko firmware Rev 14 and would like some bricking protection.. Thanks Dudes & Dudettes

It's not a matter of what you lose if you format. It's that formatting a softmodded Wii has more of a chance to brick you that running most other homebrew apps do.

So is your problem that installed vc wad's won't load from the sd card menu? Formatting your Wii would do absolutely nothing to that anyways even if it did work. You need to patch IOS60 in order to get that to work (AND DO NOT UNINSTALL IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES IF IT DOESN'T WORK OR SOMETHING). Use dop-IOS to install the most recent IOS60 with the sig hash.

And what was your other problem? You tried to run the hackmii installer to install bootmii and it immediately told you to turn off your Wii? How old is your Wii and what have you installed on it? Have you installed CIOSCORP?

unsure.gif
1st prob. BTW thanks for the help.. I am installing vc wads they won't load from the sd menu. From my reading I cannot install dop-IOS because I used Waninkoko method to update to 4.1 it won't work.

wacko.gif
2nd prob: Wii was bought 6 months ago but when I try to install hackmii it doesn't get past the "if you are insure of this update turn off your Wii now page. Isn't it supposed to come back with a "press 1" to continue statement. It does not just stays on that screen... Hope this helps

Did you update to 4.1 without installing any cIOS? You should be able to use dop-IOS as long as you have cIOS installed. If you don't, use the Trucha Bug Restorer as shown in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltrd3oq8hPc...re=channel_page

Then get the cIOS rev14 installer and run that through the HBC and select IOS36 when it asks and network installation instead of wad installation.

Then you shouldn't have a problem using dop-IOS to install the most recent IOS60 with sig hash check.

Does you wiimote not sync at all at that hackmii installer screen? Try using a GC controller instead and just press A.

takaneko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
LU65 Wii. 4.1U. HBC, USBL GX, patched IOS60.

Should I install Preloader, BootMii, or both?

How do I install BootMii as SysMenu IOS? My research so far has made that seem like the most viable option. But I can't find anything on how to do it.

And also, is it safe for me to update to cIOS v38 rev14 from rev13, or do I have to uninstall 13 first somehow?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
takaneko said:
LU65 Wii. 4.1U. HBC, USBL GX, patched IOS60.

Should I install Preloader, BootMii, or both?

How do I install BootMii as SysMenu IOS? My research so far has made that seem like the most viable option. But I can't find anything on how to do it.

And also, is it safe for me to update to cIOS v38 rev14 from rev13, or do I have to uninstall 13 first somehow?

Update to rev14 by just running the installer for it and using IOS249. It will just overwrite rev13.

Bootmii does not install to the system menu IOS. That's not how it works. Preloader replaces the system menu and moves it somewhere else. The useful install of bootmii installs to the boot2 sector which is something that is loaded BEFORE the system menu even comes into play. This cannot be done on recently bought Wii's because they have the bug in boot2 that is used to install it fixed.

Run the hackmii installer through the HBC. It will tell you if you can only install bootmii as one variant as an IOS (which will install it to IOS254 where it can only be launched from the HBC providing you no brick protection really.) or if you can install to both. If you can do both, install to both. If not, preloader is your only option for brick protection.

Since you have an LU65 Wii it is probably too recent of a Wii to install bootmii to boot2 but you can run the hackmii installer just in case to check.

takaneko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
nabster92 said:
Update to rev14 by just running the installer for it and using IOS249. It will just overwrite rev13.

Bootmii does not install to the system menu IOS. That's not how it works. Preloader replaces the system menu and moves it somewhere else. The useful install of bootmii installs to the boot2 sector which is something that is loaded BEFORE the system menu even comes into play. This cannot be done on recently bought Wii's because they have the bug in boot2 that is used to install it fixed.

Run the hackmii installer through the HBC. It will tell you if you can only install bootmii as one variant as an IOS (which will install it to IOS254 where it can only be launched from the HBC providing you no brick protection really.) or if you can install to both. If you can do both, install to both. If not, preloader is your only option for brick protection.

Since you have an LU65 Wii it is probably too recent of a Wii to install bootmii to boot2 but you can run the hackmii installer just in case to check.

The HackMii installer says that BootMii can't be installed as boot2, and every time I load it I hope that it will have changed magically, but realistically that's never going to happen.

I understand why BootMii as an IOS doesn't really provide brick protection, however I read on BootMii's site (http://hackmii.com/2009/02/bootmii-and-the-new-boot1/) that it's possible BootMii can be installed as the SysMenu IOS, providing better brick protection than Preloader... but as it seems, no one has really developed that idea yet. >.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I think you shouldn't install BootMii if it is not going to help at all for you, the great thing about BootMii is to have a fallback even for a major dissaster, hence you can't install as boot2, there is no such fallback, so preloader will be enough for you, it is not really needed unless you are planing on install and uninstall things that you don't even know what they are for, they don't have conflict with each other, I think your friend read it wrong, as I said no need for bootmii if you:

Stay away from deleting IOSes (specially the official ones, cIOS can be deleted without worrying, but it is not recomendable hence they can help to use tools
tongue.gif
)
Never use or install a recently released app, wait for it to have the aproval of at least 10 braves
NEVER EVER TURN OFF YOUR WII WHILE UPDATING (

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y