Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

AquaGod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey thanks alot! But do you have a link that you can give me that I can download the Neogamma r9 and the cIOS update?

(I'm running a back-up btw)

antispam246

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, brand new here
smile.gif

Awhile ago I came across this GUIDE. After reading, I decided to turn it into a new project, I want to do this. We have a wii already and I set about researching further. That lead me to here, this forum seems to have a wealth of useful information. However, adept as I'd like to think I am, at times, I feel incredibly overwhelmed by it all.

I've read through the stickies and other threads and other info elsewhere and I feel I'm now ready to start asking the noob questions to get me on the way.

Basically, I want to do exactly what is in that guide I posted. I want to be able to rip my games to an external HDD and play them from there without the need to keep changing discs. i'm fairly certain that's what that guide is for ultimately. However, I'm very thorough and I know it's never that straight forward. So I have various questions and will definately have alot more as this progresses.

After researching I found there is no viable way to completely transfer your data from one wii to another, I didn't want to risk my original wii and it's data as it's a family console. I bought another wii.

Serial starts LEH and the firmware on it is v3.3E. I figure this won't cause any problems as I can always move forwards or backwards. I'm just not entirely sure where to start from.

Ok so with all that in mind, here are my questions.

1) I like to always play safe , I noticed there are a few methods of making your wii unbrickable (reportedly). Would it be safe for me to start here? Before I go into the depths of the above guide, should I follow one of the methods to make my wii solid? Which method is best recommended?

2) With the guide above and the first question in mind, how does my current firmware leave me? Should I be looking to downgrade or upgrade or leave it as it is?

3) In the guide I won't to follow posted above, is it in anyway outdated? It was written in April i believe, but would anyone here say it's outdated or is there a better method to reach want i want to achieve? Is any of the software required for this outdated and would it be ok to simply substitute the latest version of any outdated software into that guide?

4) By doing what I want to achieve, what will I no longer be able to do as normal on my wii? This refers to things like system updates and channels? Can I still purchase from the shopping channel (I've skimmed some problems with this). What if i update my system firmware when it's been hacked to perform the above operations? Will this cause problems?

I think that's all for now. I'm literally ready and set up to go and will be proceeding with this as soon as I get responses. My new wii is turned on and functioning, to repeat it's currently firmware 3.3E. I'm going to setup the wireless right now and then disable the wii connect 24. After that, well that's on your recommendation
smile.gif

Any help appreciated, I'm sure to become an avid fan of this site.

EDIT: Ok, so I need to install the Homebrew channel before anything else, I have the guide infront of me. My question covers this and any update. Should I upgrade my firmware to 4.0 (latest?) or leave it as it is 3.3E or should I be using another firmware. What's the all round ideal firmware to use with everything above in mind?

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
ether2802 said:
first off......install preloader to block updates from disc channel, you did a very dangerous thing here, and if the game show up in the disc channel that is because you have CIOScorp installed or did a reboot with Gamma launcher, and if the disc shows you that error it probably means you have a crappy shitty DVD, use Verbatim (taiwan ID: MCC004) or Sony (ID: D21) or Tayo Yuden (never used but they are the best apparently)...!!
smile.gif
I had preloader blocking updates and it never worked, I did both skip update on and off and nothing changed.
I don't have cioscorp, and rebooting with hooks never worked either.

I did try usbloadergx after this with an old 80GB hard drive I found, and the game works perfectly so it was the dvds, thank you for your help!
I've never had a problem with the dvds though damn wii.
Oh well.
Figured I'd reply to show the next person with a similar problem what worked for me. Thanks again.
biggrin.gif

AquaGod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
antispam246 said:
Hi, brand new here
smile.gif

Awhile ago I came across this GUIDE. After reading, I decided to turn it into a new project, I want to do this. We have a wii already and I set about researching further. That lead me to here, this forum seems to have a wealth of useful information. However, adept as I'd like to think I am, at times, I feel incredibly overwhelmed by it all.

I've read through the stickies and other threads and other info elsewhere and I feel I'm now ready to start asking the noob questions to get me on the way.

Basically, I want to do exactly what is in that guide I posted. I want to be able to rip my games to an external HDD and play them from there without the need to keep changing discs. i'm fairly certain that's what that guide is for ultimately. However, I'm very thorough and I know it's never that straight forward. So I have various questions and will definately have alot more as this progresses.

After researching I found there is no viable way to completely transfer your data from one wii to another, I didn't want to risk my original wii and it's data as it's a family console. I bought another wii.

Serial starts LEH and the firmware on it is v3.3E. I figure this won't cause any problems as I can always move forwards or backwards. I'm just not entirely sure where to start from.

Ok so with all that in mind, here are my questions.

1) I like to always play safe , I noticed there are a few methods of making your wii unbrickable (reportedly). Would it be safe for me to start here? Before I go into the depths of the above guide, should I follow one of the methods to make my wii solid? Which method is best recommended?

2) With the guide above and the first question in mind, how does my current firmware leave me? Should I be looking to downgrade or upgrade or leave it as it is?

3) In the guide I won't to follow posted above, is it in anyway outdated? It was written in April i believe, but would anyone here say it's outdated or is there a better method to reach want i want to achieve? Is any of the software required for this outdated and would it be ok to simply substitute the latest version of any outdated software into that guide?

4) By doing what I want to achieve, what will I no longer be able to do as normal on my wii? This refers to things like system updates and channels? Can I still purchase from the shopping channel (I've skimmed some problems with this). What if i update my system firmware when it's been hacked to perform the above operations? Will this cause problems?

I think that's all for now. I'm literally ready and set up to go and will be proceeding with this as soon as I get responses. My new wii is turned on and functioning, to repeat it's currently firmware 3.3E. I'm going to setup the wireless right now and then disable the wii connect 24. After that, well that's on your recommendation
smile.gif

Any help appreciated, I'm sure to become an avid fan of this site.

EDIT: Ok, so I need to install the Homebrew channel before anything else, I have the guide infront of me. My question covers this and any update. Should I upgrade my firmware to 4.0 (latest?) or leave it as it is 3.3E or should I be using another firmware. What's the all round ideal firmware to use with everything above in mind?

Yeah, guide seems pretty up-to-date. I'm no expert, but I would advise you not to upgrade your firmware. There are many ways to downgrade and upgrade as well, so it would kinda be a waste of time.

antispam246

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
AquaGod said:
Yeah, guide seems pretty up-to-date. I'm no expert, but I would advise you not to upgrade your firmware. There are many ways to downgrade and upgrade as well, so it would kinda be a waste of time.

Ok, having read around. Alot of guides say go for firmware 3.2 as it's the most compatible alround, most importantly with a program called starfall (i think that what it was). Main uses included something releated to unbricking and preventing game updates. Is this still the best way to go today or is there a new updated method?

titiln

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
hey i'm going to try and keep this short and simple:
i'm on a 4.0u (updated through nintendo) launch wii with the wiikey modchip and homebrew channel installed. i did what this guide said in order to get tueidj's superdumper to work. my wii worked just fine after dumping a couple games, but suddenly it just doesn't read backups anymore. it's like the wiikey isn't there anymore. could the custom ios be conflicting with the modchip? is this supposed to happen? is there a way to revert all the ioses to nintendo's defaults?

any help is much appreciated

antispam246

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just to update on my progress so far I have successfully,

1) Run the bomberban test
2) Installed bomberban aad1f_v108
3) Installed the hackmii_installer_beta2
4) Installed cIOS36_rev-10
5) Installed WAD-manager v1.4
6) Installed Loader Forwarder Channel (usb-loader) using WAD manager 1.4
7) Copied USB Loader GX 1.0 to my SD card ready to run

So I have my homebrew channel setup and understand the concept of running the apps (.dols) through it.

I understand the usb-loader is basically a shortcut for my usb loader GX 1.0

I tested USB Loader GX 1.0 and it runs

So far everything seems to be working fine with no problems yet
smile.gif

8) Installed WBFS Manager 3.0.1 on my PC

So I'm now about to prep my HDD. I'm going to be trying it with an external 1TB Toshiba HDD. The actual HDD inside is WD WD10EAVS 8MB 5400-7200RPM. I can't find any info on whether it's compatible so I'm just going to try and see what happens.

If there's anything else anyone can suggest, anything at all, be it installing additional things etc.. One thing I'd like to look back on is the Bootmii program or any alternative method for helping with a brick, should it occur.

EDIT: Ok I successfully partioning my HDD, it's recognized in the usb loader GX 1.0. However I have a problem. After unlocking, I went to click + and then clicked "Yes" to rip a game and then received a black screen with white text giving me a "Exception (DSI) occurred!

Any ideas?

EDIT1: Started reading through the incredibly long GX thread and have updated to the latest revision, I'm currently ripping my first game 6 minute left
smile.gif

FINAL EDIT: Everything works!

Tested first ripped game, works perfectly, proceeding to back up all my other games now. What a wonderful program.

Had a problem with running the forwarder but after taking a look in the SD card folder structure I realised it was reading from it's own usb-loader folder and the default .dol was a different loader, so simply moved GX to that folder and hey presto.

Still interested in any tips for a noob. This is day 1 for me so I know there's plenty more to learn.

IchigoNoTenshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Heh, noob paradise. I feel REALLY inexperienced now. But I probably am.
tongue.gif

Anyway, here's my problem;
I just installed Homebrew Channel and DVDx from the HackMii installer package via Bannerbomb. Now, whenever I try to boot HBC, the screen will go black, stay black for a few seconds, then go back to the Wii Menu. Two questions.
1. WTF MATE!!?!
2. What's the problem, and how do I fix it?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

TheMantyke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm trying to boot up SSB64 on my wii using WAD Installer v 2.1 (WAD Manager wan't working for some reason without the boot.dol file, so I switched to using the last version of the installer since the Win.rar file I got had a boot.dol file in it). However, there are a few problems I have... Every time I start the WAD installation, gives me this message:

[*] Mounting SD card... OK!
[*] Opening directory "wad"... OK!
[*] Opening "TITLE.WAD"... OK!
[*] Installing WAD...
- Installing Tickel (NAJ9)... Error! (ret = -2011)
[*] ERROR: Could not install WAD! (ret = -2011)

[*] Press the Reset or A button to return to the Wii Menu

Problem:
I don't exactly know how to interpret where I screwed up here. what does ret = -2011 mean exactly? How do I fix this?

giantcrazy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried to make heads or tails, so apologies if I'm asking something that's been asked a thousand times before.

I've got a 3.3U Wii with Wiikey1 installed. I have the Homebrew channel installed (to access Virtual Games).

I'd like to play some of the newer games (like Punch Out) and use the USB loader.

The guides that are written are very clear, but I'm not sure whether the audience is softmod users or people with modchips (like the Wiikey).

Should I follow the steps in this guide?:
http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144835

or is that overkill? Is there a guide for USB Loader as well? Found the site, but didn't find a guide to use.

Any help is *greatly* appreciated.

Saco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I installed cIOS38 revb but when it asked for the IOS to use, I used the wrong IOS (not sure wich one was it).

Could this mess up any existing IOS or the cIOS installs only over the correct IOS? And how can I see if I screwed anything up?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Saco said:
I installed cIOS38 revb but when it asked for the IOS to use, I used the wrong IOS (not sure wich one was it).

Could this mess up any existing IOS or the cIOS installs only over the correct IOS? And how can I see if I screwed anything up?
it won't mess things up
the IOS you select is just the one the installer uses to run

zoneseek

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Big noob here guys hoping to get some verification that my ideas of what I need to do are correct, or at least on the right path.

I got my wii soft modded a good 6+ months ago and everything has been cool up until the last few weeks, I have been getting a ton of compatibility issues so I figured it was time to look into upgrading the software.

What I do know is that I have backup launcher 0.3beta, Homebrew 1.1 and I have no idea what cIOS version I am running and im kinda shaky on my understanding on what the cIOS thing is and why it matters.

What I want to do is upgrade Homebrew to 1.3 and the backup launcher to 0.3gamma. I also have an out of date wad manager I would like to see upgraded to keep things current. My understanding is that I have to do the following:

- upgrade homebrew 1.1 to 1.3
- upgrade IOS to 249, I have no idea what version it is now (how can i tell with homebrew 1.1 / backup launcher 0.3 beta?)
- upgrade to backup launcher 0.3 gamma
- upgrade the wad manager from whatever it is now to the latest

The main questions that I have had a hard time finding answers to are the following:

1. Do I need the twilight hack again, or once that's installed on the system am I good to go with the above to-do list without needing the zelda game?

2. How can I check what IOS version I am running? Do I need to upgrade the IOS before I upgrade homebrew or vica versa?

3. What is the cIOS/IOS and do I need to modify games at all to run them?

Thanks for any help.

antispam246

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
More questions, proceeding from all I've written above. What happens if I want to play someting online?
Can I still do this?
What if I need an online update for a gameto play online?
Can I simply get it or will this screw everything up, do I need to apply the update through homebrew channel?
What's the best way to go about this?

USB Loader GX 1.0 block game updates?
Does it block all game updates and system updates or is the latter blocked by disabling wiiconnect24?
Basically, will GX 1.0 block absolutely everything or could I still get pop-ups here and there asking me to update?
How do i update if I need to, for a game, not system, and whats the best way to go about it?

BlackEnigma

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
antispam246 said:
More questions, proceeding from all I've written above. What happens if I want to play someting online?
Can I still do this?
What if I need an online update for a gameto play online?
Can I simply get it or will this screw everything up, do I need to apply the update through homebrew channel?
What's the best way to go about this?

USB Loader GX 1.0 block game updates?
Does it block all game updates and system updates or is the latter blocked by disabling wiiconnect24?
Basically, will GX 1.0 block absolutely everything or could I still get pop-ups here and there asking me to update?
How do i update if I need to, for a game, not system, and whats the best way to go about it?

You can play online
You shouldn't have to update to play online
USB Loader GX does skip updates
It blocks all the updates
lol at popups
If you are on 4.0 you won't need to update for any game

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
zoneseek said:
Big noob here guys hoping to get some verification that my ideas of what I need to do are correct, or at least on the right path.

I got my wii soft modded a good 6+ months ago and everything has been cool up until the last few weeks, I have been getting a ton of compatibility issues so I figured it was time to look into upgrading the software.

What I do know is that I have backup launcher 0.3beta, Homebrew 1.1 and I have no idea what cIOS version I am running and im kinda shaky on my understanding on what the cIOS thing is and why it matters.

What I want to do is upgrade Homebrew to 1.3 and the backup launcher to 0.3gamma. I also have an out of date wad manager I would like to see upgraded to keep things current. My understanding is that I have to do the following:

- upgrade homebrew channel 1.0.1 to 1.0.3
- upgrade IOS 249, I have no idea what version it is now (how can i tell with HBC 1.0.1 / backup launcher 0.3 beta?) cIOSr13(a)
- upgrade to backup launcher 0.3 gamma Neogamma
- upgrade the wad manager from whatever it is now to the latest -> 1.4

The main questions that I have had a hard time finding answers to are the following:

1. Do I need the twilight hack again, or once that's installed on the system am I good to go with the above to-do list without needing the zelda game?
If you still have the HBC installed, you don't need the twilight hack. If you removed the HBC, you can use bannerbomb to install it.

2. How can I check what IOS version I am running? Do I need to upgrade the IOS before I upgrade homebrew or vica versa?
You cannot see what version you have. But installing the newest rev will do no harm (get r13(a) in my sig V). You can choose what you want to update first.

All backup launchers use IOS249. cIOS36/38 is installed as IOS249. You don't have to modify games.

Thanks for any help.

BlackEnigma

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zoneseek said:

- upgrade homebrew 1.1 to 1.3
- upgrade IOS to 249, I have no idea what version it is now (how can i tell with homebrew 1.1 / backup launcher 0.3 beta?)
- upgrade to backup launcher 0.3 gamma
- upgrade the wad manager from whatever it is now to the latest

Thanks for any help.

Edit: whoops beaten

You can upgrade homebrew 1.0.1 to 1.0.3. You can use the hackmii installer for this. http://bootmii.org/download/
You won't be upgrading IOS to 249. IOS249 is the slot that all of Waninkoko's cIOS (custom IOS) install to
You have cIOS3xRevxx (cIOS36Rev8 for example) and you might want to upgrade to cIOS38rev13
Backup Launcher 0.3 Gamma is nice but you might want to consider WiiPower's NeoGamma instead especially if compatibility is your issue
Current version of Neogamma is R6 http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=158884
Latest WadManager is 1.4 http://www.teknoconsolas.es/blog/waninkoko/wad-manager-v14

You don't need the Twilight Hack again although installed on the system isn't quite the phrase I would use for what you did with it
Check which IOS you are running? I think you mean cIOS. Your Wii has many IOS and only one Waninkoko cIOS at a time so which cIOS am I running is a more likely to be the question. There are a few places where you can find out which cIOS you have but really you just remember from the last time you installed it and if you can't remember you just install which ever one you want now over the last one. That is unless you have a cIOS based on 37 in which case you would get an error if you didn't uninstall it.
Think of IOS as operating systems that run on your Wii (although that might be a bit generous) All Wiis have them, they were on your Wii when you first got it. The official Nintendo ones go up to 61
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS_History
cIOS is custom IOS. This is when someone took one of the original IOSes and modified it to do their bidding.
Such as cIOS38rev13 which is a custom IOS based on the original IOS 38 and it is the 13th revision

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, We do learn a lot from plenty of talented individuals.
  • Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu:
    this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update on my brother: He's home now, tired and hungry, obviously, but other than that, seems to be doing fine.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's a relief to hear. Do you know what happened?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Any idea what happened? I hope that your brother's doing good.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Well, from what I've heard from my parents, he had a seizure last night, perhaps an epileptic episode, fucking died, had a near death experience, my dad called the paramedics, they showed up, took him to the hospital, and he woke up covered in tubes, and started complaining.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    He couldn't eat until after his MRI, when he had a bomb pop.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    What matters now is that he's doing alright.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But you still don't know what it was?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Has he had seizures before?
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    apparently stress can cause seizures, my brother had one during a test once
    never had one before that, and never had one since
  • Redleviboy123 @ Redleviboy123:
    Question about game texture chanching Do i need an own game id?
    @Veho for those that want to
    experience being sonic the hedgehog
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Ah, you mean
    furries.
    +1
    well, sonic fans are a whole separate thing from furries
    like bronys
    sonic porn is too weird even for me
  • Dumpflam @ Dumpflam:
    bruh
  • Dumpflam @ Dumpflam:
    guys how do i delete a post
    you don't
    you can report it and request deletion
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Also, no, that was his first time having a seizure, and hopefully the last
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: Also, no, that was his first time having a seizure, and hopefully the last +1